Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-01-2018, 16:17
Born to end

Awkward Manics Fan Moment....

I am a US based Manic fan - one of the few, the proud....

I was at a convention last week in Atlanta, GA. It was horribly boring. To try and spice up our showroom and bring in people the organizers hired an Elvis impersonator. A "young Elvis" impersonator at that. I will give him credit, he was trying but he was simply not that good.

I started talking to the guy in the booth next to me, who was obviously British by his accent, appeared to be in his mid 40s, well dressed. After a bit of back and forth about how lame the convention was I asked where he was from.

He said he was from a little town not far from Manchester and Liverpool, "You've probably never heard of it, Blackpool."

I am sure you can see where this is going.... Elvis Impersonator, Blackpool...

I got very excited, "What a weird coincidence, you're from Blackpool and there is an Elvis impersonator over there... you know... like the Manic Street Preacher song, Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier, c'mon, you must know what I am talking about. It's the first track on Everything Must Go, right before A Design For Life..."

He replied, "Manic Street Preachers, are they still going..."

That led to a twenty minute diatribe from me about the Manics and long story short(er) - I think I scared the guy. He never talked to me again after that. And we were next to each other for three more days!
Old 16-01-2018, 16:46
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
That is hilarious! What a miserable get.
I think the most awkward moment for me was insisting being a Manics fan should be one of the important traits in finding a girlfriend.
That ended well! Never again.
Old 16-01-2018, 18:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

Another loyal US fan here too.

I met a British band that was touring up the East Coast once many years ago. They came for a bite to eat at the local bar I used to go to, which was in bumblefuck Pennsylvania, but it was off the Interstate, so they were coming from Virginia going to NYC & Boston, and I guess they stopped there for the night. Definitely out of the ordinary for our rinky dink local bar, but the first thing I asked them was about the Manics, they knew them and they were casual fans, but I think I scared them too with my knowledge of the Manics and my questions about them and the UK in general.

They also got to see the bar owner in a fist fight with his then wife, that my cousin broke up. We were there watching football (American Football, NFL) and I remember one of those dudes saying their father used to like the NFL and they'd stay up on late on Sunday's and watch the games. They were good dudes. The band's name was The Amberblacks, and they were from........I can't remember, but I followed them on myspace, that's how long ago this was, and I know they changed their name but can't remember what they changed it to either.
Old 16-01-2018, 18:18

After a little review, they are/were from Colchester, and are now called Guilt Coins!
Old 16-01-2018, 21:00
Bored of being bored

Are they still going?. Flipping heck.

Great story, GregRoss.
Old 16-01-2018, 21:17
Born to end

Before I scared him off he gave me a list of bands he was into, I am shocked he didn't know the Manics were still going.

He knew Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot (which I mentioned - I love all the Heaton stuff from the Housematins to the Beautiful South to solo). Maybe they are a bigger deal in the UK than I thought over there.

Oh well - his loss.

And more importantly - there was an Elvis impersonator! I think that should be the take away... and the hair color, it was inhuman. it fit the "dyed black quiff" line perfectly!
Old 17-01-2018, 14:11

It appears they are!
Old 19-01-2018, 16:32
I live to fall asleep

Amusing story, although awkward for you. People really don't seem to be aware that the band ARE still going. I was talking about music to one guy recently in my new job, I said the Manics are my favourite band and he said he'd never heard of them. Another guy, who is big into his music, said "I like the Manics" when I mentioned them, but it turns out he was only really familiar with their Truth album which he'd bought on the strength of hearing Tolerate when it came out. Again, this guy had no idea the band were still around. Always makes me sad, but I guess unless you get endless mainstream Tv and radio appearances then the general public isn't aware and you disappear from their minds
Old 19-01-2018, 17:01

A couple of years ago I was excitedly talking at work about going to the Bible nostalgia tour, and one of my colleagues said 'oh, Manic Street Preachers, my parents like them.'

The 90s weren't that long ago, damnit!
Old 19-01-2018, 21:03
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
A couple of years ago I was excitedly talking at work about going to the Bible nostalgia tour, and one of my colleagues said 'oh, Manic Street Preachers, my parents like them.'

The 90s weren't that long ago, damnit!
True, yet 2017 is to (for example) 1994 what 1994 was to 1971*, so...

*literally: 23 years' difference between the years in question
Old 23-01-2018, 12:37
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post

The tide of time is utterly terrifying when you put it that way.
Old 23-01-2018, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post

Oh god, am I supposed to be a grown-up or something then?