Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-03-2010, 17:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
Surely it's no different to The Damned United (I'm sure there has already been a thread about this book)? Was that sick?
I'm sure there's nothing sicker than football fanfiction.
Old 12-03-2010, 17:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
so fan response shouldn't make any difference.

Considering fans are usually the best people to go to get information about a band I think it makes a huge difference. Whether you're a good researcher or not I think having the doors closed on you of the biggest manics library on the net will have some measurable impact on the quality of a book about the manics (or one in particular). But that's just my opinion posted on a public fanforum....
Old 12-03-2010, 17:51
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bought In View Post
Considering fans are usually the best people to go to get information about a band I think it makes a huge difference. Whether you're a good researcher or not I think having the doors closed on you of the biggest manics library on the net will have some measurable impact on the quality of a book about the manics (or one in particular). But that's just my opinion posted on a public fanforum....
How exactly were 'the doors closed on him'? (THE DRAMA) given that he could read everything posted on here, his posts weren't removed and people were free to help if they wished? It's not the Amish, you know - it was people's choice to help or not!

Quote:
But that's just my opinion posted on a public fanforum....
And we all know the damage that can do

Last edited by Finn; 12-03-2010 at 17:55.
Old 12-03-2010, 17:56
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
And anyway, didn't Rob just use richeysite's er... Richey site for most of his source material instead of FD? (without crediting her)
Old 12-03-2010, 18:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
And we all know the damage that can do
meaning?
Old 12-03-2010, 18:53
HBIC

Quote:
meaning?
Obviously, I was implying that your post would kill a dolphin and widen the gap in the ozone layer

It was just a joke based on the importance often given to something that isn't actually very important.
Old 12-03-2010, 19:39
Freed from the century

its awfully arrogant of an author who presumably didnt even know Richey to think he can write a book through the eyes of such a massively complex character.

If i read it i can imagine it being the sort of book that would just make me angry.
Old 12-03-2010, 20:19
I am purity, they call me perverted

I imagine the author is just going to come across as a pretentious loser, I can't even imagine this book being well written and realistic. I will, however, almost certainly buy it.
Old 12-03-2010, 20:47
Winterlover

a contradictory post if ever I read one!
Old 12-03-2010, 20:51

I just won't be able to help myself. I'll wonder about it until I've read it.
Old 13-03-2010, 10:19
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
its awfully arrogant of an author who presumably didnt even know Richey to think he can write a book through the eyes of such a massively complex character.

If i read it i can imagine it being the sort of book that would just make me angry.
On that basis every historical novelist (eg.Phillippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl) is arrogant, because they didn't know in the most literal sense their source material.
Old 13-03-2010, 10:25

There was a lot of debate over The Damned United. Not just from the family, many authors found the fictionalising of a real person uncomfortable.

This instance is even worse. Considering no one knows what actually happened to him or what motivated him or if he still waits to someday return to create myths seems odd. And lazy.
Write a fiction that stands on its own without pictures of real people with people who care and hurt for them.

That said the rock and roll myth richey was created and encouraged by the manics and richard himself. Why would someone completely separate from the reality see anything else or see anything wrong with taking it one step further.
Old 13-03-2010, 14:44
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
On that basis every historical novelist (eg.Phillippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl) is arrogant, because they didn't know in the most literal sense their source material.
I agree. The whole concept is so simplistic. I am so tired of this Richey the "tragic, fucked up rock star" angle. People are more complex than that. It starts to be dehumanizing. Also, to use the real pictures starts blurring reality and fiction. Seems like this guy is just trying to make a name (and money) for himself. So typical.
Old 13-03-2010, 16:40
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
And anyway, didn't Rob just use richeysite's er... Richey site for most of his source material instead of FD? (without crediting her)
I'm pretty sure he did, along with Aesthetic Debris and a couple of other sites with old articles . When I read his book, it was pretty obvious where he was getting all his quotes from. All very, very familiar. Then again it would cost a bomb out of his advance to buy back issues of all the music papers , so I can't necessarily say I blame him.

Although he didn't credit many/any of the fans who helped him out.

On the Richey novel... although I don't want to be presumptuous, the words 'cringeworthily bad' already spring to mind when I think of this book.

Then again I am biased a bit by memories of 'Rock N Roll Suicide' and the terrible Richey 'tribute' that was the main character in that.

On a positive note, from what I remember of buying the weeklies, Ben Myers was a decent enough journalist.
Old 13-03-2010, 17:54

I wonder how the book's going to end though....