Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-08-2020, 12:11
Doors slowly closing

His singing on IKTZ is his worst, and seemingly intentionally so. On something like the chorus of You Will Always Be My Home, he is out of tune.

It doesn’t affect my enjoyment of that album but it’s completely understandable that it’s a turn off for others.
Old 25-08-2020, 12:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
I like Nicky's voice too. It's warm and kinda soft (in an emotional way). I think I said it before, but I have to say it again: whereas James' voice fills me with euphoric energy, Nicky sounds like a tender hug of comfort and consolation.
He might not have James' range, but he's not out of tune, (unless maybe a very tiny wee bit in The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever, but that sounds deliberate and fitting) or bad singer, in my opinion (although, I admit, I'm no pro, and this is just from my own perspective as a fan).
THIS x100

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 25-08-2020, 15:46
Doors slowly closing

I used to find Nicky’s voice on lead vocals more grating than I do now. I’m interested to hear another album by him for sure but I wouldn’t mind if it had more instrumentals on it than Even In Exile does. But I love instrumentals anyway, I’m not having that much of a go at Nicky’s voice.

A Sean Moore solo album is the one I really want at this point though! (we can but dream).

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 25-08-2020, 20:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Oh, of course he can't sing for shit but... and this comes up on the pod, james' album is kinda over-produced and lacks a certain edge that nicky's lo-fi C86 style catchy indie has. The problem is many people just don't look beyond the voice which i find highly reductive because they are missing some quality tracks. Though i agree with the pod that both albums are missing that essential, unknown, quality that the manics as a whole bring to an album.
A voice can be a barrier though...I erm....have to admit that although there are a lot of Smiths lyrics I like a lot the voice means I can't listen to them much .... (all apologies...now Kurt...he had a voice....changing subject quick)
I think Nicky and James' vocals work together perfectly on As Holy as the Soil...when James comes in and lifts the chorus sends shivers...the contrast works so well...yes let them do their solo projects but never say bye bye to the band ... James bringing his Sinatra to Nicky's Sex Pistols ... and Sean holding it together....
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 25-08-2020, 21:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
I like Nicky's voice too. It's warm and kinda soft (in an emotional way). I think I said it before, but I have to say it again: whereas James' voice fills me with euphoric energy, Nicky sounds like a tender hug of comfort and consolation.
He might not have James' range, but he's not out of tune, (unless maybe a very tiny wee bit in The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever, but that sounds deliberate and fitting) or bad singer, in my opinion (although, I admit, I'm no pro, and this is just from my own perspective as a fan).
I agree there is warmth and comfort in his voice and it's kind of special to hear him sing his lyrics. I also love when he looks at the lyrics on screen when they play festivals. His bass, vocal really compliment James and Sean's range, as they must know and off key notes are really just cool!
Old 25-08-2020, 21:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I think Nicky and James' vocals work together perfectly on As Holy as the Soil...when James comes in and lifts the chorus sends shivers...the contrast works so well...
I always enjoy hearing james' voice in the mix of nicky's tracks, i agree it's a good contrast, it's that conflict of nicky's lyrics with the james/sean melody on manics songs which works.
I'm not even that keen on the nicky sung manics tracks really, with the exception of william's last words (i've made my peace with it), because his voice doesn't often fit with the sound they're going for on the album but he shines when doing his own thing or the occasional b-side like that great time ain't nothing cover - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ce7fTiIKY
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 27-08-2020 at 00:22.
Old 25-08-2020, 22:15
I live to fall asleep

I think the thing that has always happened is as soon as Nicky sings a song you compare it to James and there's no doubting who is the winner. Nicky's singing is decent enough, he's better than most people who get up and think they can sing when they sing at parties or karaoke, and his voice suits certain songs. And for the record, the song You Will Always Be My Home has almost been one of my favourites since I first heard it back in 2006. Great song.
Old 25-08-2020, 22:15
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

A Sean Moore solo album is the one I really want at this point though! (we can but dream).
Just drums and trumpet!
Old 25-08-2020, 22:32
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
I enjoy listening to Nicky Wire's voice. Like Richey's he sounds intelligent. I like his album and when he sings certain lines. He also sung No Feelings live. I think he said James couldn't do that. So just his beautiful self.
omg forgot all about No Feelings. That was glorious!
My ears still object to wattsville blues but he's improved muchly since then. I don't play his album all that often which is a mistake. Had absolutely no clue there's no bass on it. Always assumed it was in there somewhere Need to pay much more attention

I have a friend that doesn't like James's voice. Obviously needs a hearing test ( thought I'd already said this in a post but can't find it. Sorry if I'm double posting. Been up since 5)

Last edited by hummingbird; 25-08-2020 at 22:35.
Old 26-08-2020, 09:27
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I think the thing that has always happened is as soon as Nicky sings a song you compare it to James and there's no doubting who is the winner. Nicky's singing is decent enough, he's better than most people who get up and think they can sing when they sing at parties or karaoke, and his voice suits certain songs. And for the record, the song You Will Always Be My Home has almost been one of my favourites since I first heard it back in 2006. Great song.
Exactly. Also, it's a bit weird to experience something out of the norm. Some people take it as a pleasant surprise, but many are just like "wth".
Old 26-08-2020, 10:30
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
My ears still object to wattsville blues but he's improved muchly since then.
In fairness to Nicky's voice, it's just not a good song in the first place and is crowded with some horrible instrumentation that just sounds off key.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 26-08-2020, 11:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
In fairness to Nicky's voice, it's just not a good song in the first place and is crowded with some horrible instrumentation that just sounds off key.
Yeah it's not the best but my main objection is his voice is too loud, makes me wince, though less now I'm used to it. First time I heard it I was sooo relieved to hear James in the chorus
Old 26-08-2020, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Quote:
Yeah it's not the best but my main objection is his voice is too loud, makes me wince, though less now I'm used to it. First time I heard it I was sooo relieved to hear James in the chorus
Perhaps his intention isn't just to be in tune though I like Wattsville Blues in the instruments and 90s sound.
It reminds me a bit of Numb by u2 the edge, in the tone and sound effects. I don't think Nicky needs to improve though, as he's not naturally a singer. I like the songs he's performed and perhaps he could include a few of the covers he's done on his next album.

Last edited by rosetree; 26-08-2020 at 19:47.
Old 26-08-2020, 20:02
Builder of routine

No covers . Original songs pweeze
Old 26-08-2020, 20:12

Quote:
No covers . Original songs pweeze
James has sung plenty of covers, so maybe 1 of Nicky's on the new album would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
His voice is striking in the songs he does. I'd like to see him do karaoke.❤

Last edited by rosetree; 26-08-2020 at 22:58.