Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 18:33
Doors slowly closing

Smile Engage With Your Shadow (WTF?!)

Bit late but...just got round to hearing the B-Sides off the current single. They're mostly shite but...

Sometimes the Manics go and completely surprise with something completely strange and wonderful, this time it's Engage with Your Shadow. It's like Throbbing Gristle, quite industrial and simply fucking amazing!!! Even though Nicky is on vocals he doesn't try to sing and therefore it's perfectly tolerable. It pisses all over anything off PFAYM, it is a million times better than any track off it. Would be great to see them do an album entirely like this, they'd lose at least 60% of their current fanbase and gain industrial fans but it would certainly be worth it! Seeing how depressingly poor their last album was, this is exactly what is needed for them to go forward.

I don't care if this warranted a new thread or not, i'm just shocked that they did something as majorly obscure as this. Anything is possible now, this should've been the third single!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:09
Stretched out in the sun

I just find the song hillarious. A whole album of it wouldn't be funny though.
Old 11-04-2011, 19:16
An imitation of dignity

finally good opinions in here concerning that song...i love the song because i like the confusion of music and poetry which means a voice talking in front of a musical background like industrial, electronic or even jazz...and i like his voice talking....could listen to him talking all day long on mp3
Old 11-04-2011, 19:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
Bit late but...just got round to hearing the B-Sides off the current single. They're mostly shite but...

Sometimes the Manics go and completely surprise with something completely strange and wonderful, this time it's Engage with Your Shadow. It's like Throbbing Gristle, quite industrial and simply fucking amazing!!! Even though Nicky is on vocals he doesn't try to sing and therefore it's perfectly tolerable. It pisses all over anything off PFAYM, it is a million times better than any track off it. Would be great to see them do an album entirely like this, they'd lose at least 60% of their current fanbase and gain industrial fans but it would certainly be worth it! Seeing how depressingly poor their last album was, this is exactly what is needed for them to go forward.

I don't care if this warranted a new thread or not, i'm just shocked that they did something as majorly obscure as this. Anything is possible now, this should've been the third single!
Amen.

(although I really liked PFAYM)
Old 11-04-2011, 19:45
Bored out of my mind

Still haven't heard it yet! Yay me!

And no way is Postcards poor!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-04-2011, 19:48
Freed from the century

It's the worst thing they have EVER done. EVER

Were you crushed, Did I rush you, All my time is yours, My twisted heart is yours, The faithless shit is yours, The shameless fits of love that only smother you for moments, Until I fold them up and leave, All yours.
Logic will break your
Old 11-04-2011, 19:49
Bored out of my mind

Thanks Radiomanic! You realise I may now have to go and download it for 89p off Amazon. If I hate it I won't speak to you for an entire month!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-04-2011, 19:50
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILKA View Post
It's the worst thing they have EVER done. EVER
That has restored my feeling that I should never hear it, EVER!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:51
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Thanks Radiomanic! You realise I may now have to go and download it for 89p off Amazon. If I hate it I won't speak to you for an entire month!
Dinnae buy it! I think it's on spotify. And I agree with Wilka. I've only listened to it once and that was enough.
Old 11-04-2011, 19:52
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
Dinnae buy it! I think it's on spotify. And I agree with Wilka. I've only listened to it once and that was enough.
I trust you implicity Shug! Decision made!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:53
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I'd like to join the love for this one!
You can hear there's a couple of bits where it would have worked if James had became less self consious and do the vocal instead of Nicky. Unless he's the one doing the whispering? And there are some lyrics James would have wary of. "So we can view.../the un-em-ployed".
I really love James's guitar work on it though.
Out of the PFAYM b-sides you could make an album of outstanding electro stuff like this and Inky Fingers, and classic rock like Evidence Against Myself.
I've got a playlist that has The Passing Show before Engage With Your Shadow. The whole playlist may or may not be even better than PFAYM...
But I think I said that on another thread.
I love this song!
Old 11-04-2011, 19:53
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I trust you implicity Shug! Decision made!
Ta
Old 11-04-2011, 19:57
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Ta

I don't mind an electronica musical style attempt by the band. Just not Nicky talking / 'singing' over it!

Is there an instrumental version of the song available?
Old 11-04-2011, 20:13
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
nah, it's worth a second listen (well, one half of a second listen) to confirm any and all "what the fuck was that" thoughts you had the first time around.
blog
Old 11-04-2011, 20:17
I'm just a pasty

Twice! No, no I couldn't...