Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-10-2009, 23:49
An imitation of dignity

Your prediction after Manics' American tour..

Will this increase their popularity in the US? Will their ambition to break into the US market be revived? Btw, how much have they put into the promotion of this tour?

I hope the boys will get greater success over there, they totally derserve more recognition. C'mon Christian Bale!! Do something! hahah...
Old 11-10-2009, 00:19
Footprint of history

I doubt it will make much real difference.
Old 11-10-2009, 00:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

Well we'll see then if the whole coming back in 2 years thing works out for us Americans. If that happens I'm sure this lil tour DID make a difference. If it takes another 10 years or so then....yeah

I still think they will have lil fanbase here tho, given that the album or tour wasn't heavily promoted.
Old 11-10-2009, 00:46
HBIC

They'll get played on College radio and have a small but loyal following. Realistically, the UK bands that actually 'break' the US play much bigger tours and go back every year. I can't see them being that committed to it.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

All they need is the right song to be placed in the right movie or tv show. That would create a buzz that touring alone wouldn't. Then they would have to capitalize on that by touring here. Will it happen? I doubt it. But I can wish...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54
A self-made vacuum

Hopefully they'll come back in 2 years like they said, but I doubt it made a difference with who listens to them and who doesn't. Plus, like anything else, a lot of people really only know about them around here because nowadays Richey gets mentioned more and more in America.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03
I live to fall asleep

I don't think they'll ever get real popularity over there but will give their US career a mini boost. At the end of the day, the tour would have won more fans than lost them. But now they should come back to the UK and tour here instead!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52
Doors slowly closing

Their priority ought to be trying to climb back up the festival bills over here before genuinely looking at breaking America as forty-somethings.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Their priority ought to be trying to climb back up the festival bills over here before genuinely looking at breaking America as forty-somethings.
Definitely, they should look to headline a medium sized festival and be second on big festival bills.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18
Under neon loneliness

They'll go and sit in their houses for a year, reconvene and record another KYE-esque "we hate popularity" double album. Then go on the same touring circuit they've ploughed for decades. I predict they'll have no ambition to continue a world tour after the US, sorry. But what do I know?
Old 11-10-2009, 13:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
They'll go and sit in their houses for a year, reconvene and record another KYE-esque "we hate popularity" double album. Then go on the same touring circuit they've ploughed for decades. I predict they'll have no ambition to continue a world tour after the US, sorry. But what do I know?
I bet Nicky prefers watching telly than touring anywhere outside Newport.
Old 11-10-2009, 13:37
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
I bet Nicky prefers watching telly than touring anywhere outside Newport.

Yes, Someone somewhere must be voting to keep Joe Calzaghe in Strictly Come Dancing each week!!
Old 11-10-2009, 13:42
Administrator

They will never break the US, no reason not to do a few shows though.
Old 11-10-2009, 13:47
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
They will never break the US, no reason not to do a few shows though.
Exactly. They seemed to really enjoy the tour and Sean thought it was a success. James was very glad to have actually made it through a whole tour! Apparently, they are looking to do more European festivals in order to try and recoup some of the debt they are in from this tour and to help subsidize another one after the new album (which they start recording in November apparently).
Old 11-10-2009, 13:59
Winterlover

I dunno. The thing is, the economy of the music business has changed so dramatically in the last few years that NO band can rely strictly on album sales anymore to ensure a revenue stream. That ship has sailed. I would expect therefore to see them doing MORE touring rather than LESS touring, but whether it will include the USA is an open question. It's pretty axiomatic that you have to plan to lose money in the USA for at least five years before you can expect to make any. But touring here relentlessly sure has worked for Porcupine Tree, whose recent album just cracked the U.S. Top 20 with no airplay, and they've worked their way into larger venues and profit in their 40s.... Sound like a familiar scenario? It can be DONE, the question is do the Manics have a taste for it. Can't answer that.