Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-07-2014, 22:32
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
no not the same status as the pope Apart from *boy about town* James in the 90s they never really did the celebrity circuit and that's how everyone gets to know your face
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWoodbee View Post
That's an awesome and very entertaining story! I don't think anyone would ever believe I was a member of the support band, so that's not an option, haha!

Very reassuring! Didn't that frown on his face (which I've rarely seen him without, so I suppose he had it then as well?) confuse you or make you nervous though? That's what I'm worried about the most, to be honest, as silly as that may sound. I KNOW he does it all the time, and yet I'm pretty sure I'd keep asking myself whether I just asked a particularly stupid question.
The frown was more confusing I think, but just went with it. He seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders, but is utterly charming and so bloody nice.
Old 21-07-2014, 23:07
Stretched out in the sun

Meet them around three/four times so far but to be fair it's not exactly a big deal for me.
I never know what to say so I usually end up staring at them from afar in a very creepy way, which is embarassing, so I decided not to bother anymore.
At the RT signing last week I got my setlist signed, wished Nicky goodnight and walked away, which made him very confoooosed
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth
Old 22-07-2014, 00:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricri View Post
Meet them around three/four times so far but to be fair it's not exactly a big deal for me.
I never know what to say so I usually end up staring at them from afar in a very creepy way, which is embarassing, so I decided not to bother anymore.
At the RT signing last week I got my setlist signed, wished Nicky goodnight and walked away, which made him very confoooosed
Think he was expecting you to invite him round for dinner? I'd imagine he was probably secretly relieved, after all it must be incredibly exhausting and boring signing stuff for hours on end (or for what must surely feel like hours anyway), smiling into cameras, listening to people telling you how great you are... Well, the last one might actually be alright, I suppose. Sure, it's part of the job and all, but I really do respect them for being so friendly and forthcoming, etc. etc. No one in this thread had anything bad to say about them, at all, at least I don't remember anything. Granted, we might be a bit biased here, but I've never read anything bad about their behaviour towards fans or journalists anywhere else either, and that's saying something, as it usually doesn't take much for a band/artist to be slagged off in public even if they're not that famous.

Oh, EDIT: Maybe I should have written that I haven't read anything bad about their behaviour towards journalists in the last decade or so. 4Real - if you know what I mean.

Last edited by LadyWoodbee; 22-07-2014 at 00:57.
Old 22-07-2014, 03:50
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristal17 View Post
The frown was more confusing I think, but just went with it. He seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders, but is utterly charming and so bloody nice.

So do you guys think Black Sabbath wrote "Paranoid" for Bradders? Yes yes, I know, James was only 1 (I think) when the song was released, but... seriously, doesn't this sound familiar:

"People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time / All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy / Think I'll lose my mind if I don't find something to pacify / Can you help me, occupy my brain?"

Can we occupy your brain? Hell yeah - if you let us! (Sorry. I know it's not smutty Wednesday yet )

Last edited by LadyWoodbee; 22-07-2014 at 03:53.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:53
Born to end

i met em in leeds 93 at a holiday inn they were staying in
Old 24-07-2014, 19:16
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricri View Post
I'm the same really. Never know what to say to them that they haven't heard a million times before. I think i'll be content just shoving tickets under their noses to sign after gigs
Old 24-07-2014, 23:10
Bored out of my mind

I never have anything to say to them either. I've met them several times, but just say hi/thanks/bye etc and get a photo/something signed. I don't really hang around much after gigs anymore...too knackered and in need of refreshments! I think I said get well soon to James on the Postcards tour just before they cancelled gigs...clearly my well wishes didn't have much effect
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00
Born to end

I was at the Wolverhampton gig in 96. The Civic Hall has a bar behind the stage and a staircase just to the right of it. I saw James coming up that staircase with a cup of tea in hand. As per normal in these situations, I froze and couldn't think of a thing to say and he continued on his way up the stairs. I think we shared a moment because he complained about the state of his tea and how we should have Welsh teabags halfway through the gig!

I did meet Martin Hall backstage at a JJ72 (remember them?) gig at the Stoke Sugarmill. I had my Everything must go fleece jacket on so we got chatting. He was a lovely bloke.