Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-11-2011, 20:08
Doors slowly closing

Lyrically the best album they've ever done i think is TIMTTMY. I'm not much of a lyrics person as music is my real passion, but you'd have to be a complete arse not to appreciate Wire's lyrics on this record. They are probably the most direct and honest he has ever written, and probably ever will. I think the fact that he knew he'd be writing the first MSP album without Richey helped matters, and i certainly prefer his lyrics to Richey's as i cannot relate to them whatsoever.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
Those weren't written by Nicky...

Was joking obviously. The notion that Nick could write "4st 7lbs" while also penning the likes of......well anything he's ever written is ludacris.

I like Nicks lyrics and I thought KYE was great but I felt things were very forced on Lifeblood and their repetitive nature led me to think he'd just simply ran out of ideas. Things haven't improved much on that front sadly.
Old 23-11-2011, 21:03
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
The troll has one exception that is a well published part of its character.
Just because I've been to Norway!

There are some fabulous lyrics on the b-sides as well!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 24-11-2011, 09:10
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
Lyrically the best album they've ever done i think is TIMTTMY. I'm not much of a lyrics person as music is my real passion, but you'd have to be a complete arse not to appreciate Wire's lyrics on this record. They are probably the most direct and honest he has ever written, and probably ever will. I think the fact that he knew he'd be writing the first MSP album without Richey helped matters, and i certainly prefer his lyrics to Richey's as i cannot relate to them whatsoever.
I must be a complete arse, the lyrics of TIMY seem lazy and uninspiring to me. Are there values in lines like?

'fucked with being fucked'
'delerium on helium'
'give me some more of your carrier bags'

...and that's before you even get to SYMM.
Old 24-11-2011, 17:21
Winterlover

I'm so TGWy in this matter but I'll always awkwardly and needlessly pounce in conversation to state that SYMM is a great lyric.
Old 24-11-2011, 22:13
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I'm so TGWy in this matter but I'll always awkwardly and needlessly pounce in conversation to state that SYMM is a great lyric.
Too right!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 27-11-2011, 22:13
Desire on its knees

The editing on 'All Is Vanity' really impresses me, whoever did it. As a political tract, it's silly; as a personal statement and a portrait of the abjection in the face of decision-making that depression brings, it's a masterpiece. You can say, as with 'WLW', that it's not what Richey intended, but whether he knew it or not it's what he meant.

With 'William's Last Words' the issue is pretty simple; the lyric Richey delivered is unsingable. It's a nice prose piece, but it's not a lyric.

Facebook Twitter
Old 27-11-2011, 22:18
Under neon loneliness

The problem is what WLW became is specifically a letter from Richey to the other guys... as edited in by the other guys, which is inexcusable (and quite embarrassing to see). Plus as a song it's absolutely hideous.

All Is Vanity became something inspired with careful editing. Pretension/Repulsion is unsingable, but they managed it. WLW they butchered, remodelled to be about them and set to the sound of an ice cream van vomiting. So, so bad.
Old 27-11-2011, 22:32

I like the editing of WLW, and I don't think they made it about them, I think they made it more universal than the original, which isn't a bad tactic for lyrics. At the same time, considering the significance of the album, any implication that it was a letter from Richey is actually fairly appropriate. They were his last words, in terms of lyrical contribution.

How would you have edited down the two page monologue?
Old 27-11-2011, 22:39
Desire on its knees

Musically it's always sat fine with me, it's like their stab at Al Greenish soft soul. I think that, like 'Bag Lady', it's a lyric in character, but Richey only wrote the lyric in that character because it had something he identified with in the first place.

Facebook Twitter
Old 27-11-2011, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
The problem is what WLW became is specifically a letter from Richey to the other guys... as edited in by the other guys, which is inexcusable (and quite embarrassing to see). Plus as a song it's absolutely hideous.

All Is Vanity became something inspired with careful editing. Pretension/Repulsion is unsingable, but they managed it. WLW they butchered, remodelled to be about them and set to the sound of an ice cream van vomiting. So, so bad.
YES. you have put this exactly as I've always wanted to.