Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-11-2011, 15:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

I don't think KYE had his best, very choppy and forced imo. I still love the album, but I think it was spot on when someone said he was trying to hard to write like Richey. But while Richey could write something that sounds bizarre at first, most of his still make sense on a deep level... not something that's easy to explain. Or copy, as I suppose Nicky was trying.

And EMG wasn't his best either, he obviously wasn't used to taking so much responsibility. There were still good lyrics, some great lines in there, but I think it took him a bit to grow as a lyricist.

That being said, even though I hate most of TIMT, it has some brilliant lyrics. Lifeblood ties with it, I think. Might surpass it. While I don't completely agree with him that 1985 has his best lyrics, they're pretty fucking good. And I like the Nietzsche line. Though "tiny massive hands" is an odd one.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:38
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
A third of Wire's lyrics on EMG are absolutely dreadful lyrically as well. Interiors, Elvis Impersonator, Further Away... no ta.
Pedants corner I know but Elvis Impersonator was an edit job of Richey's lyric (much like the girl who wanted to be god)
Old 21-11-2011, 15:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
See I think KYE has fantastic lyrics, I never get why it's widely regarded as his best? Especially Intravenous Agnostic which is a great lyric. I think it's an album of great cultural/historical relevance, to me anyway.
I think he was trying to sound like Richey but it just sounded silly. It does have a great tune that saved it.
Old 21-11-2011, 15:43
Administrator

Quote:
See I think KYE has fantastic lyrics, I never get why it's widely regarded as his best? Especially Intravenous Agnostic which is a great lyric. I think it's an album of great cultural/historical relevance, to me anyway

As for 1985/Lifeblood as his best lyrics?! "God is dead, like Nietzsche said"? "Tiny massive hands??"

I'd agree with the OP, but KYE is my 2nd favourite manics album, purely for the fact it's so messy and raw, I think the lyrics reflect that.

And Tolerate is his best lyric, I think that's fact, not opinion.
Tiny massive hands is awesome - does no one ever else get that feeling of big and small? Anyway, I think that's Patrick's lyric.
Old 21-11-2011, 16:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
As for 1985/Lifeblood as his best lyrics?! "God is dead, like Nietzsche said"? "Tiny massive hands??"
in the space of three or four minutes Nicky Wire absolutely nails what England / UK was like in 1985, and adds a personal perspective to boot. breathtaking brilliance.
blog
Old 21-11-2011, 17:07
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
And Tolerate is his best lyric, I think that's fact, not opinion.
Not even the best lyrics on that record for me. Certainly not their best lyrics on a single, ADFL would probably sweep that honour.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:12
Freed from the century

I don't think you can nail a set period where wire is at his best. There's some absolutely wonderful lyrics scattered right across the years, as well as some utter crap.
I think his best whole song lyrically is "mr carbohydrate", yet my favourite single verse is the thrid verse of skon, and my favourite individual line of his is from "the convalescent": "my bedroom wall reflects what's in my head / a collage constructed and constantly fed".
Old 21-11-2011, 17:13
I live to fall asleep

Tolerate shits over ADFL completely. Design is one verse repeated over and a four line chorus. Tolerate is subtle, complex and clever. Always loved the couplet after the solo too. No contest for me.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:15
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
. Always loved the couplet after the solo too.
Oh yeah, that is a very good couplet.
Like I said, scatters of brilliance.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:17
Under neon loneliness

'And on the street tonight an old man plays / With newspaper cuttings of his glory days'? Always ranked that around the 'The world is full of refugees / They're just like you and just like me' kinda level... trite.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:18
I live to fall asleep

To be honest I think I like how James phrases it even more than the lyric itself but it is a powerful, if simple, imagery. I work with literature and yet in the back of my mind I know that it doesn't matter how powerful a message a novel has, nothing can beat the immediacy.and impact of a lyric or couplet in a song.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:19
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
'And on the street tonight an old man plays / With newspaper cuttings of his glory days'? Always ranked that around the 'The world is full of refugees / They're just like you and just like me' kinda level... trite.
I appreciate and respect you but I couldnt disagree more.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:20
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
I work with literature and yet in the back of my mind I know that it doesn't matter how powerful a message a novel has, nothing can beat the immediacy.and impact of a lyric or couplet in a song.
Completely agree, but that one leaves me totally cold. 'Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us free / What price now for a shallow piece of dignity?' on the other hand...
Old 21-11-2011, 17:43
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallafield View Post
I don't think you can nail a set period where wire is at his best.
completely agree
Old 21-11-2011, 17:52
Under neon loneliness

Obtuse? I doubt anyone struggles to grasp ADFL's meaning, and I don't see those lyrics as any more obtuse than 'Holes in your head today, but I'm a pacifist / I've walked La Ramblas but not with real intent', or 'Monuments put from pen to paper turns me into a gutless wonder'.

Also despite the direct lyrical references to fascists etc I wonder how many non-fans realise Tolerate is actually written about the Spanish Civil War? In my very limited experience not that many.