Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 17:19
Freed from the century

That is big company logic. Madness.

When so much time and effort has been spent on it and at the last minute they want the money up front, it must be a tad frustrating!
Old 05-05-2010, 17:48
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Aside from the fact that soundalikes wouldn't suit the film we've made, that wouldn't solve the problem. There are various rights to be paid on music used in films, and soundalikes would only address performance rights and ownership of the recordings. The publishing rights have to be paid for regardless of who performs the song or owns the recordings used.

We have 38 songs in the film that have to be licenced from the publishing company, Sony ATV. We don't have to pay performance rights because the band have donated those, and we don't have to pay for the rights for most of the recordings used in the film because most of the recordings used in the film are ones we made at gigs and in the studio during the course of filming that we own ourselves. We do have some official recordings and footage in the film, and these rights need to be paid for separately from the publishing rights, and paid to a different Sony company, Sony BMG.

As to why "Sony," as in, the Manics' record label, can't or won't market the film themselves, it's because Sony Music, the part of Sony concerned with marketing and distribution of product, is yet a third separate company, and they cannot market or distribute the product until rights have been paid to the other two Sony companies. Basically, no one is cooperating with anyone on this and we are left holding the bag.

We did apply for a grant from the Wales Film Fund, but though they will give a grant to a Welsh director making a film in Hollywood, they will not give a grant to an American director making a film in Wales, about a Welsh subject using Welsh crew and facilities. Such is life.

As for the band paying for the rights, the project was conceived, envisioned and initiated solely by us. When we started working with the band, their stated interest was to be objectively documented and NOT to take an active role in the filmmaking itself. They made it clear that they did not want to be involved in the film on the editorial or the business end. Our deal with them was that they would contribute their cooperation along with some personal materials, and the donation of all personal royalties on Manics material used in the film. We consider this to be fair, and have never asked them for any money.

Although we very much appreciate any willingness on the part of fans to contribute money, for various reasons, that is simply not practical at this time. However, please be assured that we are not sitting idly by waiting for someone to help us but rather working in every channel available to us to find a solution. Believe us when we say that no one wants to see this film released more than we do!

Thanks as always for your interest and support!
Thanks for all that info, Elizabeth. Goddamnit, reading it really made me angry at the stupid Sony morons who are just greedy and unhelpful. I imagine it's frustrating as all hell for you. And the issue with the Welsh film board, well, that's just a tad daft, you'd think they'd help out with the Manics being a Welsh treasure
Grrrrrr.
Old 05-05-2010, 17:49
Administrator

Can we maybe be a bit restrained on insulting Sony....
Old 06-05-2010, 17:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Can we maybe be a bit restrained on insulting Sony....
Yes. It creates an unhelpful pressure towards the film makers which is not going to make matter better. Clearly you lot don't work in business.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 07-05-2010, 22:21
I live to fall asleep

Frustrating for everyone. So sorry hun it must be terrible to have worked so hard and know lots of fans really want to see this and then to hit a real hitch. Keeping my fingers crossed xxx
Old 08-05-2010, 02:29
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandAndStare View Post
thanks for explaining everything so clearly Elizabeth! I understand we wouldn't be any help then So we're all keeping our fingers crossed and sending you all the patience and energy you need to find the funds.
The same here hun =)

"True perfection has to be imperfect..."

Old 08-05-2010, 09:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
We have 38 songs in the film that have to be licenced from the publishing company, Sony ATV. We don't have to pay performance rights because the band have donated those, and we don't have to pay for the rights for most of the recordings used in the film because most of the recordings used in the film are ones we made at gigs and in the studio during the course of filming that we own ourselves.
OST CD!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
The same here hun =)
Yeah, chin up! Hope it'll all work out somehow

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr
Old 08-05-2010, 16:55
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
Frustrating for everyone. So sorry hun it must be terrible to have worked so hard and know lots of fans really want to see this and then to hit a real hitch. Keeping my fingers crossed xxx
I know that it's all business and it's nothing to do with us but it's depressing that we can do anything to promote the film and all this "buisness problem" is hurting us, the fans.
Old 08-05-2010, 21:39
Winterlover

Quote:
As for the rights issues, we weren't expecting to have to come up with the money to pay for the rights until after we'd released the film. The original plan was to put the film out and then pay for the music rights out of the film's income, but due to the current economic situation and the state of the music industry, Sony changed their minds on that deal and now they want money up front, which we don't have because we spent it all on production.
Did you have the original deal in writing? If so, my advice would be that it's time to LAWYER UP. They're only doing this to you b/c they can. I can hook you up, and it may - in fact certainly will - not be cheap but it won't be as costly as assuming the up-front cost for something Sony agreed to pay in the first place.
Old 06-06-2010, 14:37
Builder of routine

just wanted to say how ace would it be if the film was screened around the tour time
Old 06-06-2010, 14:38
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
just wanted to say how ace would it be if the film was screened around the tour time
Late night screenings in cinemas near the venues to go to after gigs
Old 06-06-2010, 14:41
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
Late night screenings in cinemas near the venues to go to after gigs
Francis - you read my mind.
Old 06-06-2010, 14:43
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
Francis - you read my mind.
Well in that case this must happen now, see them play, see them to talk to, see them on screen. Manics overload!

I would feel bad for the cinemas though, how would they clean the glitter?
Old 06-06-2010, 14:46
Builder of routine

and feather boas that would be too beautiful <3