Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-02-2020, 22:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

YES and Phillip Schofield?

Are there any parallels between the suppressed Phillip Schofield scandal and Yes? Given the national-treasure portraying a wholesome life and living a double-life?

Last edited by taxexile; 13-02-2020 at 22:10.
Old 13-02-2020, 22:18
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I can sing "Schofield" over "Forrr sale" but that's about all I got. Would have to think about it. I already thought he had came out years ago. I know there was a sketch in Extras (Which I never saw or bothered with) but I remember it was on the news less than a decade ago?
Oh well.
Can you explain more how you think Yes parallels with Schofield?
Old 14-02-2020, 00:54

That's an interesting read, and I would say certainly a valid one. Do I think it's the intended one? No.

As oblique and open to interpretation as a lot of Richey's lyrics are, I feel that the context surrounding the song, and the juxtaposition of the literal text to the figurative decoration - like the sound clips that open and close the song - only give way to one literal interpretation.

Having said that, there are of course parallels to be drawn between the literal act of selling oneself, and the situation Richey may have felt he was in. I think many entertainers or artists would also feel this way.

So I do think that's a cool reading of the song. I just don't think it would have been involved in the thrust of writing it. But that's just my impression of it. It's a weighty lyric with plenty of interpretation that can be levelled towards it.
Old 14-02-2020, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post

I accept this is the age of dumbiing down where a podcast will say Steve Lamaqc was in "London" when Richey cut himself. But some of us will consider such details and not disregard them flippantly.
Also, sorry about that. I work from hastily written notes and miss-spoke. A lot of information to get through, isnt there? Especially in the early days! I picked it up when editing and thought "wasn't it Norwich Arts Centre?" but I didnt think it justified an edit - the story is much more than a sum of its details, I think.
Old 14-02-2020, 08:18
Bored of being bored

Taxexile, am I reading your post incorrectly or are you seriously suggesting that being gay is ‘questionable behaviour’?
Old 14-02-2020, 10:59
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
In the context I can now see the chorus being responses to an interviewers questions rather than being from one person's perspective (the singer).
Like the one line responses from magazine questions. Other than that buggered as to know what's going on about!
Old 15-02-2020, 01:33
Winterlover

Does Yes have any parallels to the news about Phillip Schofield?

No

Schofield wasn't covering up an unwholesome life unless you mean covering what wider society or elements of considered to be wrong?

Yes is about prostitution in the broadest sense of the word. How everything and everyone is seen to have a price. And surely about depression in part a complete loss of self whilst still attempting to fit in to go through the motions but there's nothing really left of them. It's the point of view of a victim of abuse more than a need to put on an acceptable front.
Maybe as the band experienced some fame and attention they became more exposed to a world where everything is for sale and that played through but the lyrics run much deeper
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 15-02-2020, 20:43
Knowlede Is Power

Wasnt there some nonsense about this in that awful withdrawn traces book?

Last edited by Suicide Aldi; 07-10-2021 at 04:36.
Old 16-02-2020, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Wasnt there some bullshit about this in that awful withdrawn traces book?
From what I've heard about it, I desperately want to read that book.
Old 16-02-2020, 08:07
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftan mews View Post
From what I've heard about it, I desperately want to read that book.
There are some interesting bits and pieces in there, particularly regarding the police investigation into the disappearence, but in general its pretty awful. Just full of insane speculation, and endless fawning over Richey. Not to mention the fact that it is extremely badly written.
Old 16-02-2020, 08:14
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Get a 2nd hand copy, protect the environment. It also doubles as toilet paper in an emergency...

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-02-2020, 15:39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
Are there any parallels between the suppressed Phillip Schofield scandal and Yes? Given the national-treasure portraying a wholesome life and living a double-life?

The Philip Schofield scandal? I'd heard he'd come out as gay, but I don't think that can be regarded as scandalous, even if he was married with kids. A lot of LGBTQ+ people were forced into leading double lives because of societal standards of the era in which they lived. Schofield would have been a young 'un just starting out at around the same time Thatcher brought in those anti-gay laws (similar to the ones Russia has now). It would have made it difficult for him as a children's TV presenter if his homosexuality had been public knowledge. The blame for this behaviour lies with law makers who sought to push innocent people into the margins, rather than with those forced to conceal who they really were.

And nah, I don't see any parallels between that and "Yes".

Last edited by Velocitygirl; 16-02-2020 at 15:43.