Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-01-2016, 18:52
I am purity, they call me perverted

Trolling Richey

This is all hypothetical and could never really exist. Back when Richey made his rather infamous comment that “all men want to sleep with a 13 year old girl”, it was naturally meet with distain from many. Female music journalists were quite quick to turn on Richey, but Richey never really backed away from his comment. Recently Nicky stated that if Richey were alive today he’d have thousands of followers on Twitter. We’ll never know but most likely he would. That’s if Richey were to embrace social media.

With our society now so quick to turn on those who might utter a thought of their own which goes against the majority norm. With professional trolls who love nothing better to publicly shame anyone whose thoughts disagree. And there are those who are offended at everything all the time acting on our behalves that so that they can be offend for us when really we’re not that offended.

If Richey had tweeted “all men want to sleep with a 13 year old girl” and it had been picked up by lazy journalists who find stories by scrolling through dead peoples Facebook pages and then feed through to mainstream media what would have happened? Would it have meant the end for the band? Richey forced to apologise? 50,000 trolls posting all over social media?
It’s a question I ask myself. Perhaps the band were fortunate being in being in the times they were. Richey would never ever do Facebook. He never apologised for what he believed in.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 18-01-2016, 21:35
Builder of routine

Still think he was quoting Roman Polanski. Weird no one else says it, seeing as Richey was known to quote people, sometimes not crediting the original.
Old 19-01-2016, 01:36
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Richey said so many things that today would be quickly taken out of context and taken too personally. He would have so much haters and would be largely considered "insane", but in a different, more negative and less tragic way.
Still I don't think that would mean the end of the band's career, because the Manics as a band, they're capable of shoving off onto our faces such publicly acceptable songs right after saying publicly unacceptable statements.
They'd definitely be the most confusing public figures in the world of celebrities, because being not so "black and white", people would never know whether to view them as "the bad guys" or "the good guys".
Old 19-01-2016, 14:53
Administrator

Personally I think he'd have loved it.
Old 19-01-2016, 17:51

R was the master of layering his statements and leaving people to go off and do their own research to try and decipher what he was trying to say. I think he was talking about the world of Rock and Roll + Media and what people in that circle can get away with. Saying certain truths that have become evident with time (BBC paedo scandal)and this was a way of subtly flirting with the truth and dobbing certain circles in without being too personal about the individuals doing it. The lyric about 'tear off his cock' make more sense in terms of the stories that have come out about MP's lately and those high up in society and their abuse of power. My Mother worked for the BBC and heard that story too in the early 90s, but thought it was an exaggeration. She'd also hear men in the office talking about young boys/girls but wasn't sure if was their humour - so R being in London and part of that scene, I'm sure he'd have come across such things in showbusiness. Typing on my phone, sorry if this makes little sense.

Post edited to remove allegations. Takk.

Last edited by Takk; 22-01-2016 at 10:06.
Old 20-01-2016, 18:29
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
Richey said so many things that today would be quickly taken out of context and taken too personally. He would have so much haters and would be largely considered "insane"
It happens already, though.
Old 20-01-2016, 18:54
Winterlover

I agree with Takk. Not only would he have embraced social media, but he would have LOVED stirring shit up too. It would have been marvellous! Ha!

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 21-01-2016 at 20:37.
Old 20-01-2016, 20:56

May I add - please think of the context of the interview, as R was discussing the infamous Kate Moss Obsession advert, where she does indeed look about 13 years old and is being presented in a sexual way. Who knows his tone of voice when he said this and if it was a flippant comment...

Post edited to remove allegations. Takk.

Last edited by Takk; 22-01-2016 at 10:06.
Old 20-01-2016, 21:27
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

SHR, as you bloody well know, there's a site dedicated to that subject on the inter-webs.

Though maybe the mods should step in here, the thread is crossing over into serious allegations territory....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 20-01-2016, 23:59
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideling View Post
It happens already, though.
Eheh, I know, I know.
But from here we can split to the topic of whether and how much we have actually changed as a society compared to back then....
Old 21-01-2016, 12:20
Builder of routine

i think he would've loved twitter in his 20s but now he may have mellowed out and be all nice like the rest of the band
Old 21-01-2016, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
SHR, as you bloody well know, there's a site dedicated to that subject on the inter-webs.

Though maybe the mods should step in here, the thread is crossing over into serious allegations territory....
Do you believe everything you read on the inter-webs? I tend to tread more carefully than to believe the word of an individual via the web (who may or may not have an axe to grind) when they offer so little proof. You can find anything on the internet, even allegations of Bowie having sex with underage girls... true or not, with little proof offered up (along with the lack of charges brought against individuals) then I think it's far more damning to presume guilt over innocence.
Old 21-01-2016, 18:52

My post was focusing on Richey and how social media would treat him today regarding some of the comments he made. I certainly wasn't wanting to enter into the discussion around underage sex. Best we stop those conversations.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 21-01-2016, 19:18
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
My post was focusing on Richey and how social media would treat him today regarding some of the comments he made. I certainly wasn't wanting to enter into the discussion around underage sex. Best we stop those conversations.
Probably not best to use a quote about under-age sex then especially when Richey spoke in very ambiguous terms about under-age sex and went to a brothel in Thailand where that thing happens quite often.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 21-01-2016, 20:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

Agreed, I would ask that people edit their posts to remove allegations about James and/or Richey. This isn't the place.