Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-10-2010, 02:04
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
I didn't know anything about the band and the songs didn't have much that I emphasised with, although Born A Girl was very touching. THB spoke to me a lot more and both complimented and lead to my cynical self.
On some level the music and lyrics appealed to me because, deep down, I'm a hopeless romantic. But it was more than that; listening to TIMTTMY I felt a strong urge to hear more, I just knew I had to explore the music of this band. It wasn't anything earth shattering like when I first listened to Pixies and it was like hearing what kind of music they enjoy on fucking Mars!! But nevertheless it did peak my interest and appeal to me sonically so I was compelled to explore their back catalogue.

Going from TIMTTMY to THB in the space of 6 months was quite an eye opener, I can tell you
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
On some level the music and lyrics appealed to me because, deep down, I'm a hopeless romantic. But it was more than that; listening to TIMTTMY I felt a strong urge to hear more, I just knew I had to explore the music of this band. It wasn't anything earth shattering like when I first listened to Pixies and it was like hearing what kind of music they enjoy on fucking Mars!! But nevertheless it did peak my interest and appeal to me sonically so I was compelled to explore their back catalogue.

Going from TIMTTMY to THB in the space of 6 months was quite an eye opener, I can tell you
It got me into the band but it was SATT that hooked me really, guess I'm not romantic enough or at least wasn't at the age of 14, MLE and BAG were the ones I remembered and they're still my favourites.

I can imagine, SATT used to be my favourite and then suddenly Archives was my favourite song ever in 3 months. Weird and varied chaps these Manics.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:14
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
It got me into the band but it was SATT that hooked me really, guess I'm not romantic enough or at least wasn't at the age of 14, MLE and BAG were the ones I remembered and they're still my favourites.

I can imagine, SATT used to be my favourite and then suddenly Archives was my favourite song ever in 3 months. Weird and varied chaps these Manics.
I think the only songs on TIMTTMY that I'm not keen on (and rarely listen to) are "You Stole The Sun From My Heart", "Be Natural" and "You're Tender And You're Tired". Everything else gets a 4/5 or a 5/5 from me.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19
Builder of routine

I still love YSTS but would agree about the other two, they make the album too long and break up the amazing tracks like BAG and I'm Not Working. I'm not too keen on Black Dog either. Album still gets a 4/5 overall though.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35
Bored out of my mind

Glad you pulled through that one as well Richey! For me, I just remember the '97/'98 period as having various low points to greater or lesser degrees and the melancholia on Truth just connected with me. Found it very comforting to listen to and still love it as much now as I did then. Absolutely love Black Dog, the movie theme that never was! Love Truth from the opening of The Everlasting to the grinding to nothingness end of SYMM.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)