Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-09-2021, 19:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
*Are the duets there to expose them to new audiences or make more sales? Julia Cumming/Mark Lanegan (in this instance) completionists/fans picking up the album or track?
Since around rewind the film james has said he has become a bit bored of hearing his own voice on tracks which is why they've handed the reigns of many songs to others they feel more suited to it. The idea they're using nina hoss, green gartside, richard hawley, mark lanegan etc to shift more sales does amuse me somewhat. New audiences? Sure, they want a bit of that vampiric injection of new blood.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 14-09-2021 at 19:46.
Old 14-09-2021, 19:56
Winterlover

If anything I think they’re now partly using the duets (which probably would’ve been a RtF/Futu exclusive trick had the reception not been so warm) to boost their own favourite singers in hopes that Manics fans get into the same acts.
Old 14-09-2021, 20:08
Doors slowly closing

Miley Cyrus recently covered a Shampoo song.

https://youtu.be/Xo5-dDUD2do

It’s time for Nicky to make the call for the next duet. Take things to the next level and make Steps be the ones to quiver in fear.

I want James and Miley Cyrus on Good Morning Britain tomorrow performing The Secret He Had Missed together. Don’t let me down again, Wire. Get her on the plane and let’s show H from Steps what a deeper shade of blue really feels like.
Old 14-09-2021, 20:17
Doors slowly closing

They might have done a lot of duets but I do personally think The Secret He Had Missed is perhaps more clearly and self-evidently justified being a duet artistically than most of them have been, if the question is how much of it is promotional considerations versus how much is the subject matter or other artistic concerns are being judged the salient factor. That was a horribly torturous sentence, sorry everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post

It’s time for Nicky to make the call for the next duet. Take things to the next level and make Steps be the ones to quiver in fear.

I want James and Miley Cyrus on Good Morning Britain tomorrow performing The Secret He Had Missed together. Don’t let me down again, Wire. Get her on the plane and let’s show H from Steps what a deeper shade of blue really feels like.

That escalated quickly.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 14-09-2021 at 21:32.
Old 14-09-2021, 21:26
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I think having a singing partner also gives James to play around with his own voice and not be in full on Welsh lead singer role. It's not always on show, but I think Blank Diary Entry shows James's more playful side where he has to tone his voice to not contrast too much with Mark Lanegan.

I agree with Porco's statement above. The song definitely feel like there are two viewpoints with very different voices. Really good lyric with both vocalists giving it multiple lives. I think Dylan and Caitlin was trying to do this too but perhaps the inspiration wasn't as strong.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 14-09-2021, 21:33
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I haven't listened to the album in four or five days (on holidays), but various tracks have been looping around in my head with no prompting. That is a very good sign because I haven't even started to over listen to this album yet.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 15-09-2021, 19:20
I am purity, they call me perverted

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post

I concur. just pay Miley the fee, she’d do it. “H” from steps is a real cunt.

Last edited by meanestgreenmeme; 15-09-2021 at 19:21. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 15-09-2021, 19:23

Side note……. I would very much be up for them to bring a decent female singer on tour………someone with rock chick persona
Old 15-09-2021, 20:57
Born to end

I don't get the hate for Blank Diary Entry, it's great! Complicated Illusions o nthe other hand...OMG utter shite. Makes Distant Colours sound good (well actually no, not in the slightest). Imagine the horror of playing someone who doesn't know the manics INWJTEOF, SMTW, DC and CI in a row.
Old 15-09-2021, 21:13
Under neon loneliness

Aw Complicated Illusions has really been growing on me the last few days. It's from the heart and it has a really solid melody. Especially love the "Comp-li-ca-ted ill-u-u-u-u-sions" vocal!
Old 15-09-2021, 21:35
Doors slowly closing

I love how Complicated Illusions makes the words more complicated, which at its heart is quite a simple conceit, which is a paradoxical concept in itself but that is quite appropriate for an album filled with paradoxes, and so it is some kind of complicated-simple-meta-paradox-enigma, unless one interprets it in such a way that it actually isn’t, yet that would paradoxically mean all those things I mentioned are illusions, which both re-inforces and disproves the ideas simultaneously.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 15-09-2021, 22:00
I live to fall asleep

Happy Bored Alone still floating about in my headspace.
Old 15-09-2021, 22:21

Re: duets. They're hit or miss. When they work I think they're great. I don't agree that YLAINE and LBN are the only ones that really work, though. Never really liked YLAINE despite being a big Cardigans fan. I think the Sunflower Bean girl does the icy Scandinavian vocals much better on TSHHM. That's defa an all time great duet for the Manics. Does what Dylan & Caitlyn said it would do. Divine Youth is also a good duet / feature. The male-male duets are iffier but there's great stuff there too. I just quite often feel Nicky could be doing it better.

Love his voice.

That said, I totally understand why they do them. It's just to keep creative juices flowing. They have access to great singers (by god there are a lot of great singers on these isles) and it must feel magic to record them all singing your lyrics / duet with them. Irresistible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
I think TUVL is what I wanted Futurology to be - not a winter album as such but a better companion to Lifeblood (and perhaps TGW too) in terms of aesthetic.
Does anyone else feel their opinion of Futurology has shifted towards more meh after it came out? I was really really into it but don't really like it that much nowadays. Partly because the period of time when I was really into it was so shitty. Partly because it doesn't have a very strong opening. I think it's a great album but it doesn't nail its concept as well as Lifeblood or TUVL, which display uncanny fidelity to their distinctly odd mission statements. Futurology veers into "just manics" territory with Power Money Sex Love (can't remember real title...) while stuff like Empty Motorcade is left off. The duets can be a little off too. I would kill for a Between the Clock and the Bed that's just JDB. Or just that guest vocalist, for that matter. But not the two of them. Ruins a great song.

Anyone else feel underwhelmed with it later? I still like it and hold it up as a high point of post-Lifeblood manics, but I feel TUVL will have more staying power, if for nothing else then simply how tight the opening 3 tracks are. When do I not wanna listen to these three perfectly interlocking pop ditties? Orwellin is sooooo colourful and juicy in that list. Sapporo is majestic, dramatic. And TSHHM has the swirling disco energy of Miss Europa Disco Dancer, and the duet gold of LBN.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 15-09-2021 at 22:26.
Old 15-09-2021, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I love how Complicated Illusions makes the words more complicated, which at its heart is quite a simple conceit, which is a paradoxical concept in itself but that is quite appropriate for an album filled with paradoxes, and so it is some kind of complicated-simple-meta-paradox-enigma, unless one interprets it in such a way that it actually isn’t, yet that would paradoxically mean all those things I mentioned are illusions, which both re-inforces and disproves the ideas simultaneously.

Very good!
Old 15-09-2021, 22:26
Under neon loneliness

Overall TUVL continues to grow on me. So much so I've assembled a preferred cut from the demos and alt version.

Hot take: Still Snowing In Sapporo works best as an album closer.

Last edited by tzb; 15-09-2021 at 23:01.