Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-08-2015, 20:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Looks great. Which site did you use and how much did it cost?
Agree, and same question! I've always wanted to get something with a custom logo/slogan but have never heard a recommendation about one that's good quality.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 28-08-2015, 20:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Thanks guys, I made it on spreadshirt.com!
Old 29-08-2015, 10:19
Knowlede Is Power

MSP made my 2-year old cry

My son loves clocks.
Today he wanted to watch a video of a clock, while his Daddy wanted him to watch something musical. So I put Everything Must Go on on the iPad after remembering that the video has a giant clock in it.
He watched the clock, but then got bored of it, so I skipped towards the end, thinking he might find it entertaining to see the girl smash the clock with a bass guitar...
Oh my god, my boy was inconsolable. Even when I skipped back and showed him the clock whole again. He cried for a solid 20 minutes, screamed if he saw the iPad and wouldn't let go of his Mummy.
I feel bad.
Naughty Manic Street Preachers!
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 29-08-2015, 10:35
Knowlede Is Power

Ha! He'll be reliving that traumatic experience in 20 years on a psychiatrist's couch :-P

....."it was at that moment my 2 year old self fully understood the fragility of the human condition and the meaningless and transience of life"
Old 30-08-2015, 12:44
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Revan View Post
Thanks guys, I made it on spreadshirt.com!
Thanks for the tip! I've always had the same reservations as Bambi.
Old 30-08-2015, 20:08
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I fell asleep, but were the Manics on Absolute radio tonight or tomorrow? Or not for a while?
Old 31-08-2015, 10:56
Builder of routine

it would be such a shame if they didn't choose roundhouse to play during EMG 20 Anniversary Tour, considering ADFL video history.
Old 31-08-2015, 19:41
A self-made vacuum

I've been wondering for a while; why was Life Becoming A Landslide classed as an "e.p."? It was released just the same as all the other singles on the album, same amount of b-sides, formats, music video etc...

New Art Riot is an e.p. but it actually has more of a feel as a mini album rather then a single. I never really saw the actual song as an A-side, just really the title track.
Old 31-08-2015, 20:15
Doors slowly closing

At that point it was quite rare for them to have a single release with three previously unreleased studio tracks as b-sides. It would have been even rarer if Roses hadn't got there first one release earlier.
Old 01-09-2015, 13:46
Freed from the century

As I recall it - and I may be wrong - CD singles typically had four tracks on them, presumably as an incentive to buy the format over cassette and vinyl (which had as few as two each, hence a-side and b-side).

To digress, given my interest in b-sides and remixes, I've considered how expectations of what a single must contain increased exponentially from the early 1990s on.

It worked, but it meant the artist/record company had to produce a lot more 'previously unreleased' tracks (thus the sticker on every Manics CD single release) and this led to the inclusion of remixes, live tracks, 'versions' and, later on, the digging up of old discarded tracks. A single with exclusive tracks in each format including two CDs could end up with as many as eight 'previously unreleased tracks', so it was a lot.

Ironically, digital downloads have lessened this pressure and b-sides, remixes and the like are no longer necessary - they're just as likely to be given away as free downloads and 'website exclusives' now.
Old 01-09-2015, 15:10
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I've never understood why the chain shops don't think to store CD singles alongside the albums if there's less demand for them due to technology.
(Overlooking that there's a ready made market for owning extra tracks as b-sides! But that's why I'm not in the industry then!)
Old 01-09-2015, 17:42
Bored of being bored

Today, I saw a woman that looked like Nicky Wire.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:03
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Today, I saw a woman that looked like Nicky Wire.
This just reminded me some time ago I saw an east Asian version of a younger Nicky Wire too.
Old 02-09-2015, 18:22
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I've never understood why the chain shops don't think to store CD singles alongside the albums if there's less demand for them due to technology.
(Overlooking that there's a ready made market for owning extra tracks as b-sides! But that's why I'm not in the industry then!)
From about 2005 to 2010 trying to find CD singles for sale became an impossible task. In the end buying them over the internet was the only option.

A pity as - same with albums - I always enjoyed rushing home with that new release to hear that b-side or that remix.

Do record shops still stock singles?
Old 02-09-2015, 20:56
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
From about 2005 to 2010 trying to find CD singles for sale became an impossible task. In the end buying them over the internet was the only option.

A pity as - same with albums - I always enjoyed rushing home with that new release to hear that b-side or that remix.

Do record shops still stock singles?
Sister ray and rough trade in London have vinyl singles but CDs have gone the way of the dodo.. it's all downloads now. HMV have only just started to stock vinyl albums in all stores and bloody Tescos is in on the vinyl bandwagon i've just read somewhere