Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 19:16
I live to fall asleep

Ideal RIF track-listing

So, now that I've heard all the RIF tracks, I've been thinking about what the ideal track-listing would be. As things stand I've come up with this;

Side A.
People Give In / International Blue / Dylan & Caitlin / A Song For The Sadness (demo) / Concrete Fields / Liverpool Revisited

Side B.
Sequels Of Forgotten Wars / Hold Me Like A Heaven / In Eternity / Broken Algorithms / A Soundtrack To Complete Withdrawal / The Left Behind

I only heard Mirror Gaze today. I like it but it's a little too 70s for my taste so at the moment I wouldn't include it, but maybe once I get used to it it might have a chance of squeezing in somewhere.

Anyone else want to have a go?
Old 01-07-2018, 20:32
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I'll post mine a bit later but it begins Vivian (Demo) and ends with Distant Colours (acoustic) which help to bookend the album with a bit more subtlety.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 01-07-2018, 20:44
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I'll post mine a bit later but it begins Vivian (Demo) and ends with Distant Colours (acoustic) which help to bookend the album with a bit more subtlety.
Haha, the two songs I axed completely.

I don't usually prefer demos, but in the case of A Song For The Sadness I much prefer the sparseness of it to the mess of the studio cut.
Old 02-07-2018, 17:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think the track order they went with is pretty much perfect.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:46

I've included three of the bonus tracks as part of the track-listing for my ipod (only 'Concrete Fields' I left with the bonus disc). As a 15-track album (inclusive of the three bonus), I have to say it is excellent.
Old 30-09-2018, 15:27

1. People Give In
2. International Blue
3. Distant Colours
4. Vivian
5. Dylan & Catlin
6. Liverpool Revisited
7. Sequels of Forgotten Wars
8. Hold Me Like a Heaven
9. In Eternity
10. A Soundtrack to Complete Withdrawal
11. Mirror Gaze
12. A Song for the Sadness
13. The Left Behind

There you go, an amended tracklist for RIF, where transitions from song to song are key matched and work rhythmically. Broken Algorithms just isn't a very good song. And it's also the album's only structural mistake. The end of the tracklist does not need more raaaawk, it needs a little sonic variety and room to breathe. A Song for the Sadness is supposed to be this big moment but BA creates "big song" fatigue with its busy guitars before it, so it doesn't land as well as I'd like it to. I wanted to amend that, without adding songs that break the album's theme of history and acceptance (which the omitted Holding Patterns and Concrete Fields do, straying into regular, albeit well done manicsisms)

I really like this album btw. Six months in it's growing and growing. RIF has its own subtle atmosphere that's all too easy to mistake for "by the numbers solid manics" a la PFAYM and SATT. It's really not. It's a James album about guts and fighting -- and weird Sega cyber samurai sounds that the addition of Withdrawal and Mirror Gaze is supposed to accentuate.

There's one liiiitle problem with this list. The end silence in Mirror Gaze needs to be like 0.7 seconds shorter for A Song for a Sadness to land perfectly (not hard to edit with Audacity). Also, I had to spend 50 bucks on a japanese special edition of RIF and then CD rip it to get a flac of Mirror Gaze. For hi-fi perfectionist reasons. But hey, music is important to me -- and the CD with hieroglyphs looks amazing!

I call my edit: "Resistance Is Futile (Japanese Edition)" and like to pretend this is what they released it in Japan as.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 30-09-2018 at 16:03.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:15

To be totally honest, I would just drop Vivian and The left Behind and have it as a 10 song album. Still yet to hear the full versions of Mirror Gaze and Holding patterns and have been considering buying the Japanese version, but got hammered withe the cost of buying a Japanese version of Lifeblood so a bit wary about it.
Old 01-10-2018, 23:51

Where can one get hold of the Japan bonus tracks aside from that CD? Would really like to have them.
Old 02-10-2018, 19:35

It would be really nice, by now, if they'd be on itunes or something...