Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-04-2013, 08:29
An imitation of dignity

Exclamation Sometimes The Sky's Too High - refund for unpublished book

I believe there are at least some dozens of people who purchased this book and are contributing to this forum.

I am one of those - not from UK - who had to purchase the very limited edition as it was the only one available.

But AMUTI failed to publish the book.
They promised me a refund, but nothing has been received until now.

Does anybody have any information?

Thank you.

Stefano
Old 17-04-2013, 10:03
Doors slowly closing

That you would need to start this thread tells me you're in a lot of trouble here. Is it impossible to contact them now? Are they even still going as a company? They've got nothing to sell so I don't know why they would be.

That book was £500, wasn't it? I can't offer you help, only wishes of good luck in finding someone who can.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:27
Doors slowly closing

I presume you mean Sometimes The Sky's Too Bright? as in http://www.skystoobright.co.uk ?
Do you have any recent contact with them? If they have a working email address you've corresponded with I would suggest keep trying that. If not, maybe try one or more contacts at http://www.kevincummins.co.uk/contact.php - it was supposed to be his book after all, and (unfairly) reflects badly on him if others are not dealing with people properly. Good luck.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 17-04-2013 at 10:30.
Old 17-04-2013, 14:56
I live to fall asleep

Really hope you get it sorted out. It's always awful when you feel you have been conned somehow. The site is still there but when you click and links it comes up as expired...

Good luck
Old 18-04-2013, 09:37
An imitation of dignity

Yes "Too Bright"

While I thank everybody who replied, be assured I am sending messages to them since my purchase.

I am, by the way, quite surprised no one else purchased the book.

Please do consider that Kevin Cummins (the photographer) was indeed involved in the making of the book, hence the project in itself existed.

Best

Stefano
Old 18-04-2013, 12:16
Freed from the century

I have had e-mail contact with Kevin, actually about this book - I'll alert him to this thread.
Old 16-05-2013, 09:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Just a quick warning - that website www.skystoobright.co.uk just set off my PC's virus scanner, says the site attempted to upload malware.
Old 15-07-2013, 14:02
An imitation of dignity

Angry thank you again for help

As for "Oh! Nick", I am in contact with KC and I am trying to sort out the matter in a certain way through him.
But I am also working on a legal action as there might be room for an injunction for reimbursement (and damages?) under certain European law.

As for "who's responsible", I signalled to AMUTI at least three times that their site appears to be virus bugged but with no avail.

Tha's it.

Stefano
Old 15-07-2013, 15:11
Doors slowly closing

wow, can't believe this still isn't sorted for you, good luck, hope you each a satisfactory solution soon.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 08-08-2013, 19:31
Doors slowly closing

Kevin Cummins has made a public response to this.

Quote:
Last year Amuti Editions aka Laurence Johns were to publish my limited edition Manic Street Preachers book. They took money in advance for orders (£500 for an edition incl a print - and £200 for the regular non-print ed.) Then they disappeared with the money. Quite rightly, I'm still getting emails from irate punters. I've been defrauded by Laurence Johns too. If anyone hasn't heard from him or been refunded, please contact me and I'll hand the file over to the police - thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 20:02
I live to fall asleep

That's shocking! I'm so sorry for everyone who lost their money in this scam.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 08-08-2013, 22:47
Administrator

It's probably a good idea to contact him as it says, rather than saying too much here, if legal action is involved.
Old 20-08-2013, 20:59
Desire on its knees

Location: Back home at the Edge of the Earth AKA Deepest Darkest East Devon
My God, this it totally awful! What a total scumbag this Laurence Johns sounds like!! So sorry for anyone who's lost out on this. I remember seeing it listed & thinking about it... What a nightmare for all concerned.
24/6/94 - Glastonbury Festival, 20/12/94 - London Apollo,21/10/96 - Exeter University, 19/12/98 - Exeter Westpoint Arena, 31/12/99-1/1/00 - Manic Millennium, 27/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 28/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 25/8/01 - Reading Festival, 14/12/02 - Plymouth Pavillions, 15/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 16/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 4/12/04 - Brighton Centre, 10/12/04 - Plymouth Pavillions, 11/01/05 - Cardiff International Arena, 22/01/05 - Cardiff Millennium Stadium (Tsunami Benefit Gig), 11/5/07 - Cardiff University, 12/5/07 - Cardiff University, 3/6/07 - Truro Hall for Cornwall, 21/8/08 - Newport Centre, 01/6/09 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 22/10/10 - Bournemouth Academy.
Old 05-09-2013, 20:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide_Riot_Junk View Post
My God, this it totally awful! What a total scumbag this Laurence Johns sounds like!! So sorry for anyone who's lost out on this. I remember seeing it listed & thinking about it... What a nightmare for all concerned.
Please be careful in posts not to say anything which could constitute libel.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47
I am purity, they call me perverted

I've logged a claim with Paypal for the 200 quid I lost on this, but obviously Paypal does very little since payment took place "over 45 days" ago. Still they mentioned they might consider other ways of dealing with things if a sufficient number of people who are in the same predicament, log a claim with them.

I realise it is very unlikely to have some effect, but its better doing something than doing nothing.