Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 10:19
A self-made vacuum

Amazon 1 Star Reviews

I appreciate that everyone has the right to have their own opinion. Everyone is different, everyone has their own point of view...even Nietzsche admitted that. However, some reviews on amazon do rattle your cage beyond belief. Let's use this thread to discuss, dissect and analyze those 1 star reviews that really rattle you. I'll start us of with Dr K Billen's 1 star review of Journal for Plague Lovers:

"I love the Manic Street Preachers and have done so for a long time. I've enjoyed the journey they have taken in their career so far, even the colourful and daring 'Know Your Enemy' etc.

I still love them despite the truly awful album that 'Journal....' is. I don't care about the source of the lyrics per se....the fact is that the tunes and the words just don't stimulate. It is all a sad, desperate affair that leaves me begging for more every time I listen to it (and I have given it enough chances by listening to it a lot). I get the feeling that using Richey's lyrics is a bit of a publicity-seeking gimmick which undoubtedly appeals to the hard-core come-what-may fans. But, guys, you need to move on!"

Discuss...
Wet with love, it wasn't there
I was dreaming, you always are

I see the coins that were your eyes
My eyes shining like sapphires
I can't think, and I can't paint, I can't love!
And no one will, for money makes us up

Death to monetaries!
Death to monetaries!

Twitter
Patsy The Dolphin Dog
Old 02-09-2010, 10:26
Knowlede Is Power

They are the one missing out. The fool! I do appreciate having bad reviews though on Amazon. Case in point is the Neutral Milk Hotel album that I am considering buying. There are about twenty five star reviews just saying how amazing it is. I read a couple and read the couple of negative ones too, as you can see the weaknesses and hope for some constructive criticism. In the case of 'Journal...' though the criticisms are poorly backed up and worth ignoring.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35
Doors slowly closing

I'll look at reviews like that for technical reviews ('does this piece of electronics actually work?' etc), but I've never seen the point of them for subjective reviews of artistic output - If there is a better version with more tracks on thanks for letting me know, but if you're telling me you don't like the song then I don't care, I'm not on a shopping site because I think it's Q or something.

That said though, I'm pretty much the same with music/film reviews in magazines - over the years I've become less and less interested in the opinions of most journalists and reviewers in terms of something that affects the way I spend my money in any way. I've seen enough film I love that they hate, heard enough music they write off that I like to know the only opinion that really matters when it comes to things made for an artistic emotional response is your own.

In other words, don't let it get to you. But also, ignore everything I have just said and make your own mind up.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35
Doors slowly closing

It's just as well that Amazon aren't doing their usual thing of copy and pasting customer reviews across different formats, like they do with old editions of DVDs on pages for Blu-rays.

First review for the the Mementos edition of PFAYM...

Quote:
Are they short of cash?

As a Manics fan, I was looking forward to purchasing this special edition. Around £30 I'd guessed, better not tell the wife! When I saw the price I was in shock for a few hours!! The MSP are no different from anyone else in that they are in the music business to make money, nothing wrong with that. Got to say, though, that it's disappointing that they are trying to get fans to part with nearly £100 for such a few items. How much would this cost to put together in terms of the materials? About a tenner, I'd say. I've decided to buy the download and leave this to those who've got much more money than sense. I'm sure that they'll feel good looking at their box set when their wallet's been emptied of nearly a ton. Shame on the MSP.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Postcards-Yo...3423275&sr=1-4
Old 02-09-2010, 12:15
HBIC

What I love about that is the way they are reviewing something that isn't out yet, and which they aren't going to buy anyway
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Most one star reviews on Amazon are for frustrated and bitter wannabe writers who just want to vent spleen and make a 'dramatic' point by one giving one star. And they're all horribly predictable. Truth is a sell out, Lifeblood is boring a middle aged... etc.

If only the reviews could be as good as these:

But that chap has got a perfectly good point about the deluxe box. Milking A Cash Cow would have been a better title though.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:24
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
Most one star reviews on Amazon are for frustrated and bitter wannabe writers who just want to vent spleen and make a 'dramatic' point by one giving one star. And they're all horribly predictable. Truth is a sell out, Lifeblood is boring a middle aged... etc.
Yeah I don't think that's just amazon...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27
Winterlover

I'm trying to avoid reading reviews before I decided to buy Manics album cause if I will read every person opinion on each album, I won't have Manics albums for example, I bought KYE album and I really love this album even many people talk shit about it.

And about the person who vote 1 star for JFPL... He can't be serious, does he?
Old 02-09-2010, 17:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:

Those Hasselhoff reviews are amazing. LOL

And I probably should post this under a different thread , but looking at those reviews just gave me a vision of a David Hasselhoff cd of Manics covers:

A Design For Hoff:
David Hasselhoff Reimagines The Manic Street Preachers: 12 Reworked Classics

Featuring:
"A Design For Hoff"
"If You Tolerate This (Then A Stomach Pump Will Be Next)"
and "Germany" (set to the tune of "Australia")

"There's still loads of anger and hate: that's what keeps us alive. When I go out there, it's always with clenched teeth." Sean Moore

Majestic Theater, Detroit 2009 * The Sinclair, Cambridge MA, 2015 * Cardiff Castle 2015, Massey Hall 2022
Old 02-09-2010, 18:54
I live to fall asleep

I pity the fool.
Old 02-09-2010, 20:06
Winterlover

1 star reviews on Amazon are the ones I usually read just to see how people can argue against what I take to be a great album. With the likes of KYE or Lifeblood they can be forgiven but with the likes of THB and JFPL I usually end up shaking my head in disbelief.
Old 02-09-2010, 21:58
Bored of being bored

Location: A Glaswegian who (sadly) failed to make it in Vancouver
Quote:
The review from "KITT" is one of the greatest things I've ever read.
Old 02-09-2010, 23:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

Sorry for this off topic post but the best amazon reviews are to be found here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canvas-Print...3469659&sr=8-1
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladstone View Post
Sorry for this off topic post but the best amazon reviews are to be found here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canvas-Print...3469659&sr=8-1
I shouldn't have read those at the start of my shift at work, I was sitting there half crying with laughter. Everyone probably thinks I'm mad now.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladstone View Post
good find, especially like:

"If you only buy one 20 inch canvas print of Paul Ross this year, this is the one to get"

and

"After hanging this on my wall, I noticed red marks on his face. Turns out this picture cries the blood of Jesus Christ."
Wet with love, it wasn't there
I was dreaming, you always are

I see the coins that were your eyes
My eyes shining like sapphires
I can't think, and I can't paint, I can't love!
And no one will, for money makes us up

Death to monetaries!
Death to monetaries!

Twitter
Patsy The Dolphin Dog