Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-04-2017, 10:36
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
* The re-recording of Take The Skinheads Bowling - pointless
* Failure Bound
*Engage With Your Shadow
* Fans kissing seans ass on Twitter.
* The fact GATS is ignored like a Ginger Stepchild.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:28
Doors slowly closing

I've mentioned most of my pet-cringes one thread or another, and I want to preface these by underlining how small a fraction these things are compared with the overwhelming love I have for most of the Manics' work and my respect for them as a band. Anyway, I think these are my main ones...

• The main riff of Autumnsong. Just that bit too derivative for me, and I don't like the particular 'squeally' tone of it for some reason. I actually quite like most of the track's music apart from that.
• Engage With Your Shadow
• All direct references to bluetooth, twitter, facebook, google etc. in lyrics.
• (fake) Sitar and strings on live Tsunami. It's one of my favourite Manics tracks so I guess I'm extra-sensitive to it, and they do the job, but they sound (too) fake and perfunctory live, whereas on the recorded track they are central to the gorgeousness of the music.
• The Underdogs edit. Thi-. Wish they'd release a fixed version. I never hated the track itself, which is why I still care.
• The continuous dismissal of Lifeblood and all 'lost their way/mis-step/dark days of...' type-references from both the band and anyone else. In the words of King Arthur*, 'You make me sad.'
• This thread! We fans are not above being cringeworthy ourselves upon occasion! Myself included.

*A version of, at least...

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 21-04-2017 at 11:34.
Old 21-04-2017, 15:57
Stretched out in the sun

The "I will not give up and I will not give in" bit of Postcards From A Young Man, a bit. James does sound determined, I'll give him that. Just not giving in doesn't seem a viable option right now.
Old 21-04-2017, 19:48
A self-made vacuum

These are more of rants then cringes
  • the vocal overdubbing on PFAYM, sounds likes theres a bit of feedback, makes the album sounds quite poorly produced. Also theres a bit of feedback on LBN which has always bothered me.
  • The Richey excerpt on Askew Road just seem a bit overbearing, sampling themselves.
  • Lack of GATS reissue creates a gap in the re-issues.
  • SATT 3 disc reissue not being packaged the same way as the previous ones. I wish they could be more consistent.
  • THB 20th edition - Booklet having overlapping images. Contains tracks that have nothing to do with the album (such as YLU), would prefer tracks that give me some background into the making of the album like demos. EMG20 bothered me also.
  • Both Autumnsong videos.
  • Backing out of releasing Forever Delayed as a single
  • Renaming it to 4ever Delayed
Old 27-04-2017, 04:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

No live albums from one of the best live bands.

I could've sworn O2 would've gotten a nice CD release, that concert seemed made for one, but nope - just random bonus tracks here and there that were a pain in the arse to collect.

Speaking of pain in the arse to collect - all their B-sides and non-album tracks. They have so many and they're so great, but good luck getting finding them all in one easy, convenient place.
Old 27-04-2017, 09:53
I live to fall asleep

Erm, not sure really. Some of their singles choices but I still like the songs on some level. Their constant putting down of Lifeblood gets annoying to hear, but then I feel the same for GATS.
Never got the fan dislike for It's Not War, it's an okay song, not amazing, just nothing special. Erm.... I don't know, nothing makes me cringe. Some of Nicky's songs I guess, like....erm...what was it called....Engage with your Shadow, although me and my girlfriend find it hilarious and sometimes randomly sing it for a laugh
Old 28-04-2017, 12:11
Freed from the century

** Nicky's description of an upcoming album versus how it actually turns out.
** The band's continued need to feel the need to address the 'masses' with dross songs like Together Stronger (C'mon Wales) - which was great live that time in Newport - and albums such as SATT and likely the upcoming one when they are at their best being the confident outsiders. Eg. THB, Futurology, GT
** Their obsession with putting out v-neck merch. I think this may be JDB's fault.
** Nicky's patchwork sailor suit, even though it was designed by Red Curtis.
** The way that DFL has become a happy clappy ending where fans are invoted to singalong.
** Their fans refusual to engage with any other act other than them unless there is some sort of convoluted link. (Note: I'm aware this is both a gross generalisation and not the band's fault)
Old 28-04-2017, 15:22
A self-made vacuum

Freedom of speech won't feed my children

With that impressive catalouge of songs, not making more varied set lists
Old 28-04-2017, 15:30
Born to end

Not cringey so much as disappointing.

The epic solo in Intravenous Agnostic that used to play when you entered one of the old Manics forums. I can't recall the name of the forum but it was just prior to the release of Know Your Enemy and that ferocious noise coupled with all the anticipation of the album harking back to the Holy Bible created such great expectancy. Then the album came out and it was full of filler.
Old 29-04-2017, 13:29
Stretched out in the sun

'Worms in the garden more real than a McDonalds.'
Old 29-04-2017, 14:52
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruisedshins View Post

The epic solo in Intravenous Agnostic that used to play when you entered one of the old Manics forums. I can't recall the name of the forum but it was just prior to the release of Know Your Enemy and that ferocious noise coupled with all the anticipation of the album harking back to the Holy Bible created such great expectancy. Then the album came out and it was full of filler.
That was on the official manics website, it was awesome.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 29-04-2017, 15:09
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
That was on the official manics website, it was awesome.
Cheers for clearing that one up. It was a brilliant way to build up the album and easily the best part of it by some way too.
Old 29-04-2017, 16:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruisedshins View Post

Agreed. Even worse is the fact that "Intravenous Agnostic" is one of my favourite Manics tunes but one of the worst lyrics Wire has ever written.
Old 29-04-2017, 20:52
Freed from the century

I think it's because of a self aware Welsh thing but any time James has to pronounce 'here/hear' always takes me out of the moment briefly:

'Hyur I am in Amsterdam, I like it hyur they speak my language'
'Right hyur in my dirty face'
'I hope you hyur this nice and clear'

And so on ,and so on etc.

Last edited by Glyn; 29-04-2017 at 21:01.
Old 29-04-2017, 21:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
I think it's because of a self aware Welsh thing but any time James has to pronounce 'here/hear' always takes me out of the moment briefly:

'Hyur I am in Amsterdam, I like it hyur they speak my language'
'Right hyur in my dirty face'
'I hope you hyur this nice and clear'

And so on ,and so on etc.

Even worse - "when you cheer this Autumnsong..."
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)