Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-02-2012, 18:04
Doors slowly closing

he hasn't really had a break since, when? 2006? if you count solo, SATT, etc and countless gigs no wonder the chap wants to take a bit of a break. not that he is getting it with these European dates.
blog
Old 16-02-2012, 19:11
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Design For Manic View Post
it's real or just a stupid rumor?
Entirely real, have seen him say it with his own lips. No/reduced JDB vocals for next album. I'm looking forward to it.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 16-02-2012, 20:52
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

And how about they take that fucking break they mention all the time, so James can rest properly, regain his voice and self-confidence and spend a bit more time with his baby and then in about two years they come up with something really good?!
Old 16-02-2012, 21:45
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic shell View Post
please god no they want to ban nicky from going anywhere near vocals ! also untill the band state otherwise lets not assume that james has entered fatherhood .
Er, that's what I was saying. Instrumental songs INSTEAD OF Nicky singing.

I know there has been no 'official announcement' about it but it's true that James has become a Dad. Don't think they would announce that his wife was due to give birth as a reason for him not performing at a gig just for the hell of it!

(Sorry if I come across as bitchy there, not intentional. Honest!)
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-02-2012, 21:47
Doors slowly closing

"No Nicky songs" gets completely blown out of the water by The Future Has Been... which was one of the best songs on PFAYM.

Ditto the mostly Nicky-written Some Kind of Nothingness
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 16-02-2012, 21:47
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
I'm really fussy about vocals - not necessarily the ability of the vocalist, but more the sound of their voice - so I doubt I would be that interested if they got another singer. Which they won't of course.

Something like Dark Night Of The Soul could be really interesting though, as a one off project. Get BSP, The Horrors, The Joy Formidable, Gruff Rhys and various other people involved. One song each, written by the Manics, performed by them - all new material of course.
I want him duetting with Ritzy Bryan or I shall throw a tantrum!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-02-2012, 21:49
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
"No Nicky songs" gets completely blown out of the water by The Future Has Been... which was one of the best songs on PFAYM.

Ditto the mostly Nicky-written Some Kind of Nothingness
I didn't say no Nicky written! Just no singing! That blonde bird drowns Nicky out mostly on Future anyways!
Old 16-02-2012, 22:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I want him duetting with Ritzy Bryan or I shall throw a tantrum!
That'd be ace.
Old 16-02-2012, 22:06
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
That'd be ace.
Two years time, might be in with a chance of bagging her but they'd better get their order in early I reckon! Dave Grohl might beat them to it!

(Sorry Ritz, planning out your life for you there! )
Old 16-02-2012, 23:16
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshands View Post
Do any of you know anything about this, I heard he was tired of his voice, his voice is so much part of the manics sound dont mind him alternating verses with Ian McCulloch or Nina Persson but couldnt imagine them without his voice at all, anyone know anything?
A sea witch stole it

Old 17-02-2012, 12:59
Winterlover

Thing is there's a bit of a reality check in there too. The way James sings/has sung for the past 2 decades is quite harsh on the vocal chords. Many vocalists over 40's do lose a bit of the rasp, and the power of their voice and their old songs become more difficult to recreate. Some bands drop their tunings half a step to cover this, but others cannot. Another perfect example of this is Serj from System of a Down. Back in the 90s/early 00s he had a strong growl but also a nice thick croon to his voice. Now he has a more strained sound, but it's not his fault it's just the ageing process.

I think James could either drop the tunings on the tracks (may sound a bit odd but could work) or potentially just rest more, do a day on/day off on tour and between now and then next album, have a break from singing. I dare say they've even tried the drop tuning because most bands do it out of interest from time to time.
Old 17-02-2012, 13:54
Bored out of my mind

He should have a proper break really but being the workaholic that he is!
Old 23-02-2012, 19:23
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanushka View Post
And how about they take that fucking break they mention all the time, so James can rest properly, regain his voice and self-confidence and spend a bit more time with his baby and then in about two years they come up with something really good?!
Totally agree. It could make all the difference to James and to the band. It's been continuous since SATTs and you can't really say they had much of a break before that because of the solo stuff.

James really needs to be with his baby and his wife and get used to being a Dad (which I bet he loves)

Go on....Take the break you deserve.
Old 23-02-2012, 22:00
Bored out of my mind

Maybe 2013 is going to be a proper break once they've done Europe/Japan etc this year?
Old 23-02-2012, 22:18
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Maybe 2013 is going to be a proper break once they've done Europe/Japan etc this year?
Don't dare to tour North and South America...
Beware!