Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: 70 songs of Hatred & Failure: Is it a good idea?
Yes - it's a great idea and very brave 14 30.43%
No - it's a sure fire way to burn the band out completely 1 2.17%
I don't think it's going to happen and is most likely Wire Hypobile BS 28 60.87%
The manics won't ever pull it off because they're past their best now. 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2012, 22:46
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Thumbs up 70 songs of Hatred & Failure: Is it a good idea?

What are your thoughts on this potential album idea?

Last edited by AK47; 06-02-2012 at 22:49.
Old 06-02-2012, 22:52
A self-made vacuum

I like the idea of the album and I think it could be excellent if the band focused on doing it and just went with whatever they felt like in the studio. if handled well, it be as random and strange as KYE but not as messy and disjointed. My only concern is that the album could be filled with a lot of instrumentals.
Old 06-02-2012, 22:56
I live to fall asleep

Any idea is a good idea, takes more to make it into a good album though.

I think, for the first time in their careers, they can only make such a grand vision work by approaching it as musicians. 70 punchy 3-minute pop songs won't work, it needs to branch out - as some of their recent b-sides have been to be fair.

Seeing as we've had 'This is the Manics' White album, played by Guns n Roses/Aerosmith Pump', it's guaranteed if this ever happens it will be advertised as something like 'their Melancholie & The Infinite Sadness, played by Led Zeppelin'.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:05
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Seeing as we've had 'This is the Manics' White album, played by Guns n Roses/Aerosmith Pump', it's guaranteed if this ever happens it will be advertised as something like 'their Melancholie & The Infinite Sadness, played by Led Zeppelin'.
The sad truth is that the Manics couldn't make an album as amazing as Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness now even if they really, really tried very, very hard to do so.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:06
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Any idea is a good idea, takes more to make it into a good album though.

I think, for the first time in their careers, they can only make such a grand vision work by approaching it as musicians. 70 punchy 3-minute pop songs won't work, it needs to branch out - as some of their recent b-sides have been to be fair.

I think the band should not have a definate idea to work to and just focus on making music and bouncing off each other and their influences. I'd love to see the album broken up into anthemic rock songs, weird and esoteric experimental stuff, soft acoustic songs and then a kitchen sink amalgamation of eveything.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:10
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I think the band should not have a definate idea to work to and just focus on making music and bouncing off each other and their influences. I'd love to see the album broken up into anthemic rock songs, weird and esoteric experimental stuff, soft acoustic songs and then a kitchen sink amalgamation of eveything.
This. Plus, Nicky should just stop tripping about his own importance and such, and just focus on writing the lyrics [as we agreed earlier].
I'm not really sure that 70 songs is a good idea, I think it's Wire high on crisps or whatevs he's consuming now
But we'll see what happens.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:11
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
The sad truth is that the Manics couldn't make an album as amazing as Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness now even if they really, really tried very, very hard to do so.
I am inclined to agree. "Fearless Punk Ballad" was close but then it was just a rip-off of "Disarm". I think the band need to be challenged by someone who can push them out of this whole "commercial importance" mindset. They're in their bloody 40's at the end of the day, they've been around since 1991 so surely they should be comfortable in their position now to do something completely fresh, raw and for themselves?. JFPL was fascinating musically even if the lyrics were already formed by Richey but Nicky clearly has got a good mind for lyrics if he allows a little room to think about the subjects more clearly. Christ, I'd be very happy if he had the same kind of voice as he did on Truth.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:14

Quote:
I am inclined to agree. "Fearless Punk Ballad" was close but then it was just a rip-off of "Disarm". I think the band need to be challenged by someone who can push them out of this whole "commercial importance" mindset. They're in their bloody 40's at the end of the day, they've been around since 1991 so surely they should be comfortable in their position now to do something completely fresh, raw and for themselves?. JFPL was fascinating musically even if the lyrics were already formed by Richey but Nicky clearly has got a good mind for lyrics if he allows a little room to think about the subjects more clearly. Christ, I'd be very happy if he had the same kind of voice as he did on Truth.
True, but that can only happen if you're stop freaking out whether you'll miss top 40 or no. [yes, Nicholas, I'm talking to you!]
Old 06-02-2012, 23:15
A self-made vacuum

Interesting songs that the manics have recorded in recent years:

Untitled Instrumental (featured a long time ago on the official website)
You Know It's Going To Hurt
The Vorticists
Everyone Knows/Nobody Cares
Auto Intoxication
Everything Will Be
Engage With Your Shadow
Inky Fingers
Automatic Technicolour
4ever Delayed
Old 06-02-2012, 23:17
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanushka View Post
True, but that can only happen if you're stop freaking out whether you'll miss top 40 or no. [yes, Nicholas, I'm talking to you!]
It's all down to his age I think - he clearly still lives in 1996 but his body and mouth are working in 2012. The charts mean nothing. I think there should be a top 40 for all genres of music seperately.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:19
A self-made vacuum

I actually listen more to the demo versions of both JFPL and PFAYM more than the actual albums because they're are ideas there which didn't make the finished product but sound more interesting.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:19
Stretched out in the sun

I just want them to evolve the sound they had on JFPL because, as every fucker on this forum knows, I adore that album.
Old 06-02-2012, 23:32

Quote:
It's all down to his age I think - he clearly still lives in 1996 but his body and mouth are working in 2012. The charts mean nothing. I think there should be a top 40 for all genres of music seperately.
Hahaha, this one made me laugh!
And I agree with you about the charts. I've just checked Top 40 [wow, I'm glad Sia's got #1 and #4! ok, nevermind!] and it's mostly poppy/rappy/dancey/dubsteppy stuff there [not that I hate it, but that's how it is at the moment!]. Probably the "rockiest" song is the one by Kelly Clarkson. So, we can go complaining how fucked everything is, or we can just shut the fuck up, realize that we're in 2012 [whatever it might look like, music-wise, and chart-wise] and get our arse to the studio and start writing some stuff for ourselves and the fans first and then see what happens afterwards. Right, Mr. Wire?
Old 06-02-2012, 23:32
Stretched out in the sun

I don't think it's going to happen but I'd love it to.
Old 07-02-2012, 00:24
I live to fall asleep

It won't happen and if it did there'd be like 10 instrumentals on there about 20 or so 2-minute stock James acoustic songs, 5/6 Nicky vocal songs.....no point in forcing 70 songs out, just release a solid 12/13/14 track album out. Obviously the more Manics songs the better but 70 songs? It won't happen and I think everyone knows this.