Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-08-2015, 20:47
Winterlover

The Best Live Versions

A question that I was pondering before.... probably one for the slightly older fans or the avid Youtubers! Anyway, everyone has their own favourite Manics tracks, but I was wondering if anyone has any specific live eras of songs that they like best?

For example, Motorcycle Emptiness. From the early days of "we can't even play it", through "that old hit" in the 90's to the barnstorming quickfire call and response version of the present day....

Maybe you liked it when JDB had to work a bit harder, or maybe you think the addition of the 2nd guitar worked an absolute treat.

I'd say a couple stand out for me. I have enjoyed how Tolerate has developed over the years. The original version with James on his electric never really seemed to work as well as it could. By the late 2010's they'd definitely worked out how to turn it into into a proper live anthem.

As a polar opposite, the 1994 version of Faster is hard to beat. Richey was as good as he got on the guitar, and that dirty backup noise just made it into the true snarling beast it is. One of the tracks that definitely benefitted from the extra oomph of the 2nd guitar onstage from PPF onwards.
Old 28-08-2015, 21:34
Desire on its knees

Definitely 93/94 live versions of Motorcycle Emptiness. JDB's solos at the end of the song were among some of his best. He truly conveyed the feeling of despair then. Unlike he does now where he's obviously (and poorly) phoning it in. The 94 Glastonbury live version and the 94 Evening Session (?) version are particularly good.
Old 29-08-2015, 10:15
Knowlede Is Power

Motown Junk - Glastonbury 99 is fantastic.
Faster - Glastonbury 94 is a masterpiece.
Tsunami - TFI Friday is supreme.

:-)
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 29-08-2015, 14:06
I live to fall asleep

I like when they play intros to stuff. Like motown songs leading into Motown Junk or that Frank Sinatra intro to Australia at Glasto 99. I'm sure folk who collect live tracks will know of it, but there's a brilliant No Surface All Feeling on Youtube where James really growls the second verse and chorus. Class.
Old 29-08-2015, 20:45
Freed from the century

There's a fantastic version of ME on this video, even though James doesn't play the first solo. He makes up for it though, and Nicky and Sean also play really well (though Nicky is so bored he sits down during the bridge!)

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 01-09-2015, 20:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists View Post
There's a fantastic version of ME on this video, even though James doesn't play the first solo. He makes up for it though, and Nicky and Sean also play really well (though Nicky is so bored he sits down during the bridge!)
Everything about that video is excellent, from the perfect version of ME to James having a pop at an audience member and playing in the crowed during YLU.

For me, they really nailed Slash N Burn and Revol live during their 2011/2012 revival. I feel they never really liked either of those songs before, even with Richey in the band those two always felt uncomfortable. Also the live version of LSE on the singles tour was phenomenal, better even than the very interesting 'funk' version of 94.

Tolerate never been a fan of live, can't say it's improved over time either. Can't stand it when JDB sings 'whoooah' insead of 'aaaah' either, that's not how the song goes! The only time they got that one right was for the semi-acoustic version on the Millennium DVD.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08
Stretched out in the sun

You Love Us, Japan 92 from Little Baby Nothing cd2. That last minute is a piss take.
Old 02-09-2015, 16:42
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists View Post
What I love about that version, is how they just take their time with it. In the last few years, it's seemed rushed, and especially so when they just chuck it in as the first song of the set.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:05
Winterlover

Have to say I love Motorcycle Emptiness live these days. Felt like the '90s versions were missing a second guitar or keyboard part. Now it's a surefire way of getting that crowd going instantly. I love a surprise opener but when the crowd roars the 'EVER... EVER...' part it's great.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:20
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
You Love Us, Japan 92 from Little Baby Nothing cd2. That last minute is a piss take.
They need to start playing that outro again.
Old 03-09-2015, 16:28
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Have to say I love Motorcycle Emptiness live these days. Felt like the '90s versions were missing a second guitar or keyboard part. Now it's a surefire way of getting that crowd going instantly. I love a surprise opener but when the crowd roars the 'EVER... EVER...' part it's great.
I think I kinda like both. It was always a melancholy moment, especially when it was surrounded by the likes of Revol, Faster, You Love Us, Motown Junk etc. So when it was tweaked to fit the sound of Everything Must Go and so on, it was almost like a glove. In some ways I think the 90's version just (and only just) edges it.

I sometimes think the modern version is a bit too fast (for what the original song is.) That said, after a long time away from the band to hear it live, and the "EEEVVVEEEEERRR" stuff just gave me goosebumps. So hard not to like in any form really.
Old 04-09-2015, 17:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

I really dig James' live solo acoustic version of This Is Yesterday.