Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-10-2018, 19:54
I live to fall asleep

The next album should be about the band

This idea is very much inspired by the photos that (I guess) Wire is putting up on the Instagram account this evening.

I really think that the next album should be about the band. The Manics are always so forward thinking and always looking to drive forwards - but I'd love an album of pure melody (and less JDB/Eringa sheen) that is somewhat self-reflective and self-celebratory in a modest straightforward way.

I think now really is the time for them to do it. I'd love to hear 10 songs just about the power of music or words or art or escape or keeping going. Some songs that are self-aware without being kitschy. Less melancholia when looking to the past and more magic in the memories.

Looking forward to the new songs anyhow. I'm sure we'll get them in 2019.
Old 14-10-2018, 21:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Instrumentals inspired by lyrics that never see the light of the day, would be a totally Manics thing to do. I just hope they take some risks and expand their borders a bit and not worry about writing three or four singles targeted for airplay.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 15-10-2018, 07:29
Desire on its knees

Suppose they’ve occasionally written about themselves as a band to a certain extent (eg Stay Beautiful, Everything Must Go, Walk Me to the Bridge).

Yes, Wire’s folder shown on Instagram of ‘New Ideas’ suggests things are moving along
Old 15-10-2018, 08:40
Knowlede Is Power

Indian Summer aswell I think.
Old 15-10-2018, 11:16
Freed from the century

Masses against the Classes is another stand out that is clearly about 'the band'. Close My Eyes too .A very introspective single all round really and themetically rather neat that you have both 'I love being in a band' and 'I hate touring arenas' right next to each other.

Off the top of my head you can also add in :
Ballad of the Bankok Novotel
You Love Us
Happy Ending
Let's go to war
Askew Road

Last edited by Glyn; 15-10-2018 at 19:33.
Old 15-10-2018, 20:33
I live to fall asleep

I am pretty optimistic we'll get a new album next year.
Old 15-10-2018, 20:49
An imitation of dignity

my dream would be - release a cover of 'lavender lane' as a single.
https://youtu.be/MF95crf8ado

and rest of the album as 'know your enemy'-songs of whatever random stuff they find interesting + an acoustic album of old decayed wire lyrics that's been laying around for far too long.

and no more re-issues.
Old 15-10-2018, 22:44
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Won't get any reissues as nothing links until 2021? JFPL or Manic Millennium, fuck them, do new stuff. What have you got in your new vaults anyway? You holding out on us? That it?
The critics would hate it (at first) but what if uncharacteristic "Fuck it, here's all we got, you compile an album out of that!" which of course no band could ever be allowed to do even if they wanted.
But yeah, new stuff and also confident album news ( from recording to releasing) by May.
I am able to wait more like got shit enough to deal with until then.
Old 16-10-2018, 13:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

I would like to see something a bit different with their next album. I was always a bit intrigued about Wire's idea about an album based around cities and we have seen quite a few songs over the years with cities in the title (Ballad of Bangkok Novotel, Cardiff Afterlife, Liverpool Revisited, Dreaming a City (Hugheskova), Last Jet to Leave Moscow, (I Miss) the Tokyo Skyline etc.) and I have always wondered if some of those titles came from that original idea. Wire has also recently lavished praise on the Arctic Monkeys' new album so maybe we will see a concept album next!!

In terms of previous material, I would still like them to release a more comprehensive B sides collection than Lipstick Traces at some point.

Last edited by tomd2103; 16-10-2018 at 13:56.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:42
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Won't get any reissues as nothing links until 2021? JFPL or Manic Millennium, fuck them, do new stuff. What have you got in your new vaults anyway? You holding out on us? That it?
The critics would hate it (at first) but what if uncharacteristic "Fuck it, here's all we got, you compile an album out of that!" which of course no band could ever be allowed to do even if they wanted.
But yeah, new stuff and also confident album news ( from recording to releasing) by May.
I am able to wait more like got shit enough to deal with until then.
The Kaiser Chiefs did this - released around 20 songs and said it was up to the individual to make an album from them! I'd quite like this.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:55
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
The Kaiser Chiefs did this - released around 20 songs and said it was up to the individual to make an album from them! I'd quite like this.
It was a fun idea back in the day when everyone was trying to follow Radiohead and make the release of an album more interesting than the album itself. Except it was the Kaiser Chiefs so I couldn’t even come up with an EP that wasn’t awful.

Today it’s called a Spotify playlist and is done by every listener for every album.

Anyway, the next album should be about anything other than the band IMHO.

Quote:
I'd love to hear 10 songs just about the power of music or words or art or escape or keeping going. Some songs that are self-aware without being kitschy. Less melancholia when looking to the past and more magic in the memories.
...is basically the last album.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:29
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
It was a fun idea back in the day when everyone was trying to follow Radiohead and make the release of an album more interesting than the album itself. Except it was the Kaiser Chiefs so I couldn’t even come up with an EP that wasn’t awful.

Today it’s called a Spotify playlist and is done by every listener for every album.

Anyway, the next album should be about anything other than the band IMHO.

...is basically the last album.
I'm pretty sure Spotify was well established when this happened - the idea was that they don't say which songs make the cut and in which order. Plus music fans have been make playlists/compilation CDs/tapes of new tracklists well before Spotify existed.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
the idea was that they don't say which songs make the cut and in which order.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Medi...9783771&sr=8-5
Old 17-10-2018, 14:24
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Yes, but that came out a while after! Not sure why you're being quite so pedantic, you already know all this.
Old 17-10-2018, 14:55
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but that came out a while after! Not sure why you're being quite so pedantic, you already know all this.
Well it's made me realise it was a terrible suggestion of mine in my post! Keep posting!