Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 15:49
Winterlover

I'd either have liked to see them go in another new direction or simply do what they've done with the new record, but replace 10 of the tracks with good, well crafted, well thought out, catchy songs a la EMG.
Old 08-09-2010, 15:55
Footprint of history

I think as Manics fans we definitely have a way of overcomplicating exactly what we want from the band. All we really want is good songs!
Old 08-09-2010, 16:00
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think as Manics fans we definitely have a way of overcomplicating exactly what we want from the band. All we really want is good songs!
Exacty! And I don't feel the new record has them, sadly.

It'd be easier to accept if they were trying something a bit different from the norm but this is the kind of stuff they were writing and writing well before. This is almost like the post-Richie Manics bread and butter type stuff.
Old 08-09-2010, 16:13
Doors slowly closing

JFPL was no different, it just had Richey's lyrics and Albini's production to draw the curtain over the same old same old songwriting.

Peeled Apples had two verses, three choruses and a solo, with the chorus borrowed from The Human League. It's Not War has two verses, three choruses and a solo, with the chorus borrowed from Steps. You can go through the tracklisting like that and discover that JFPL has no more depth or well crafted songs than PFAYM, sometimes less so. Me & Stephen Hawking is a song whose second half is identical to its first half. Auto-Intoxication is a song whose second half is identical to its first half.

All this pro-JFPL/anti-PFAYM talk makes no sense to me in terms of what the three remaining Manics have achieved with each.
Old 08-09-2010, 16:17
Doors slowly closing

You can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

You can please leak-listeners with 128kbps MP3s some of the time, and you can please non-leakers with CDs and/or Vinyl some of the time, but you can't please leak-listeners and non-leakers with both 128kbps MP3s and CDs and/or Vinyl all of the time.

You can please The Holy Bible/Journal For Plague Lovers fans some of the time, and you can please Everything Must Go / This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours fans some of the time, but you can't please The Holy Bible/Journal For Plague Lovers fans and Everything Must Go / This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours fans all of the time.

You can please... ok, I'm boring myself now.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 08-09-2010, 16:20
Stretched out in the sun

I just didn't like 'Lifeblood'. Everything else, I found at least one or two songs I liked. If not the entire album.
Old 08-09-2010, 16:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
JFPL was no different, it just had Richey's lyrics and Albini's production to draw the curtain over the same old same old songwriting.

Peeled Apples had two verses, three choruses and a solo, with the chorus borrowed from The Human League. It's Not War has two verses, three choruses and a solo, with the chorus borrowed from Steps. You can go through the tracklisting like that and discover that JFPL has no more depth or well crafted songs than PFAYM, sometimes less so. Me & Stephen Hawking is a song whose second half is identical to its first half. Auto-Intoxication is a song whose second half is identical to its first half.

All this pro-JFPL/anti-PFAYM talk makes no sense to me in terms of what the three remaining Manics have achieved with each.
You can't defend good songwriting with structure.

You're also assuming that I think JFPL is a great record...
Old 08-09-2010, 16:26
Footprint of history

Quote:

What? I'm sorry, your logic is absolute nonsense! You may as well say JFPL and Postcards is pretty much the same as 80% of pop albums out there! Fucking... Jedward follow extremely similar structures! The only thing that I can take from that and slightly agree with is that production is a very big deal, but in the end it's the manics vision.
Old 08-09-2010, 16:50
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
You may as well say JFPL and Postcards is pretty much the same as 80% of pop albums out there!
Indeed, as far as most listeners are concerned, I may as well.

Quote:
In fact, I'd pretty much given up on Manic Street Preachers until I heard 'Journal', which I think has real genuine class, and is a pleasure to listen to. It now just frustrates me to know that there is so much inventiveness and craftsmanship left in them when they go out and produce an album as bland as 'Postcards'.
There's no more inventiveness or craftmanship to JFPL than PFAYM. None whatsoever. Style over substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
You're also assuming that I think JFPL is a great record...
Not so, but I can see why you'd think I was talking to you rather than those who are saying JFPL shows the Manics still have 'so much inventiveness' whereas PFAYM doesn't.
Old 08-09-2010, 16:57
Footprint of history

Quote:
There's no more inventiveness or craftmanship to JFPL than PFAYM. None whatsoever. Style over substance.
OK, that's your opinion. I disagree with it a tremendous amount. I think the melodies, drumming and general coherency shown JFPL is far better than Postcards. That is regardless of the two contrasting styles of the album, If that's 'style over substance', then so be it.

Not sure why 'style' is such a bad thing in terms of music appreciation either, surely it partially dictates our music taste? There are plenty of death metal bands that provide the 2 verse, 3 chorus and guitar solo method. I'm not into that. I am into 'Everything Must Go' though, funnily enough. I wonder how that works?

Last edited by Daniel; 08-09-2010 at 17:00.
Old 08-09-2010, 17:11
Stretched out in the sun

Fuck sake, why is it for some people on here that if you don't like something it's because it likes creativity or whatever, and if someone else likes it they're stupid or guilty of blind faith?
Old 08-09-2010, 17:28
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
So, it seems there is a lot of mixed feeling about PFAYM and the Manics in general on here at the moment. I thought I'd start a thread for all the people who are disappointed with the current state of the band (for whatever reason). I'm interested to know what you would have liked them to have done differently at this point to make you happy? I'm after serious suggestions, and constructive criticism, so no "They shld play a gig in my front roomz, LOLZ!!!1!one!" or "They're shit!!1!! ROFL" comments if at all possible, please.

If you don't like PFAYM, for instance, why is that? And what would you have liked them to have recorded instead? Another Lifeblood style album? The Holy Bible Pt. 2? etc.

What would hold or win back your interest? Go!
the last album was The Holy Bible 2 and it was brilliant. holding onto some very tedious, unchallenged notions they haven't progressed from it in a very satisfying, artistic way, and (contrary to this nonsensical and plain bad idea of JFPL being an 'aside') they could have. whatever a satisfying progression would have entailed exactly i don't know, part of the fun is being surprised. it would have been great to hear a record that you couldn't talk about entirely in terms of how their previous records sounded.
Old 08-09-2010, 17:38
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Not sure why 'style' is such a bad thing in terms of music appreciation either, surely it partially dictates our music taste?
Style is important, yes. THB wouldn't have worked if it had been produced like GATS, but then GATS didn't work anyway. They should have produced GATS like THB, then it would be as popular as JFPL.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that when PFAYM is out, if you get the deluxe edition and listen to its demo disc after JFPL's, you're gonna hear pretty much the same levels of craftmanship and inventiveness from the Manics.

The production is where the magic happens. Many will say that Eringa and Lord-Alge didn't bring the magic on this occasion. Nearly everyone agrees that Albini did a great job with JFPL (and even then Eringa managed to mess with it - it's no surpise that as soon as a non-Albini track pops up on that album we get a poor man's Foo Fighters).

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 08-09-2010 at 17:57.
Old 08-09-2010, 17:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
I haven't heard the album and don't intend to buy it.
Care to explain why? No doubt you will have said so elsewhere but I can't be arsed trawling through weeks of posts to find it. Thanking you.
Old 08-09-2010, 17:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Style is important, yes. THB wouldn't have worked if it had been produced like GATS, but then GATS didn't work anyway. They should have produced GATS like THB, then it would be as popular as JFPL.

I'm gonna stick my next out and say that when PFAYM is out, if you get the deluxe edition and listen to its demo disc after JFPL's, you're gonna hear pretty much the same levels of craftmanship and inventiveness from the Manics.

The production is where the magic happens. Many will say that Eringa and Lord-Alge didn't bring the magic on this occasion. Nearly everyone agrees that Albini did a great job with JFPL (and even then Eringa managed to mess with it - it's no surpise that as soon as a non-Albini track pops up on that album we get a poor man's Foo Fighters).
I don't think you will, though, cause I think the songs are just quite poor (with the exception of two). You can't polish a turd, as they say.