Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-02-2019, 05:42
Winterlover

Vaiden, who knows anymore? I thought the timeline was pretty solid until the 24 hour clock threw a massive wrench in there. I mean, until recently, I wasn’t even aware that Martin Hall was the one who entered Richey’s hotel room. I always thought it was James who got the hotel staff to open Richey’s room door. :/

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 24-02-2019 at 06:25.
Old 24-02-2019, 08:55
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Could have easily have been both which would explain the discrepancy in phrasing. Martin is more likely as he would have made the hotel booking in behalf of James and Richey. Worth remembering that James did get the flight to the US as planned though he would have had to confirm with Martin on that.

As far as I can tell the only thing we can surmise from the ticket revelation (which as far as I am concerned could be a fib on SHR's part, those who accuse others of lying have the same capability to lie themselves) is that Richey slept at home rather than the hotel. Anything else is based on speculation and imagination.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-02-2019, 09:52
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

As far as I can tell the only thing we can surmise from the ticket revelation (which as far as I am concerned could be a fib on SHR's part, those who accuse others of lying have the same capability to lie themselves) is that Richey slept at home rather than the hotel. Anything else is based on speculation and imagination.
I'm really sceptical about the ticket. I am happy to admit it if I am just being overly cynical but I think it's something that SHR has willed into existence. She was asking on her Facebook for old Severn Bridge tickets from the 90s.
I don't have any evidence that I'm right but it's just a feeling I have.
So far (and I know I haven't read the book) there is no actual evidence of ticket Richey had and no name of the ticket machine engineer that says its definitely a different time than we first thought.
It's certainly not impossible I know that and if anything it would make more sense for him to leave earlier as there would be less risk of him getting spotted leaving.
I'm just keeping an open mind about it mainly due to the utterly ridiculous claims about Israel and hitmen. So I think I'm right to question whatever SHR says.
Old 24-02-2019, 10:20
Knowlede Is Power

Didn't make myself clear as I was rushing!
Why was SHR asking for bridge tickets? This must mean she doesn't have access to the original ticket that Richey would have got. So we have to take her word for any new information, and her word hasn't exactly proved reliable so far!
With regards to the police not doing anything with this new information, it really does depend who you talk to with them. Some just don't care. But they could always speak with a more senior officer and pursue it aggressively if they believe such evidence really changes things.
I do have to say that the police probably feel they've done all they can and that it's very important to remember Richey chose to go and so far hasn't made any attempts to contact his family, so they don't have much reason to actively pursue things. Hate to say that but it's the cold truth.
Old 24-02-2019, 11:20
Knowlede Is Power

Me again!
Found an article on Radiox website where Rachel states she has the toll booth receipt from Richey's trip.
This really does raise suspicions to me about why SHR would need to ask for any other tickets. It makes no sense whatsoever now.
Old 24-02-2019, 12:05
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
Does anyone think it is possible that someone else could have been driving the band's car between Feb 1 and when the car was found? 14 Feb or 17 Feb? Or am I overthinking this?
It's entirely possible. But had the car been stolen, it would probably have been burned out rather than left with the wheel lock on.
Old 24-02-2019, 19:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

I don't think the police have any obligation to believe SHR's information, let alone use it on a cold case.

Point absolutely taken though: was this venture for evidence gathering, or to flog a book? The police would be the first port of call for most people.
Old 24-02-2019, 22:26
Builder of routine

There was a lot of rubbish in the car when it was found .... food wrappers and such? Could have also had someone else's bridge ticket picked up of the floor at the service station. Do they have CCTV to go with the time?
Old 24-02-2019, 22:44
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Ah, the good old days!
It sort of was, i mean there were some thoroughly nasty shits trolling the boards but since then there's been a level of trolling that makes them look like amateurs. Now they have enabling platforms like facebook and twitter where management seem unwilling to do squat about it
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 24-02-2019, 22:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
There was a lot of rubbish in the car when it was found .... food wrappers and such? Could have also had someone else's bridge ticket picked up of the floor at the service station. Do they have CCTV to go with the time?

The only CCTV footage I've heard about was that detailed in Everything, by Simon Price. It was footage of the actual bridge that was handed over to the Edwards family.
Old 24-02-2019, 22:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
It sort of was, i mean there were some thoroughly nasty shits trolling the boards but since then there's been a level of trolling that makes them look like amateurs. Now they have enabling platforms like facebook and twitter where management seem unwilling to do squat about it
I didn't mean to imply it was all bad. I'm actually still in touch with some of the friends I made on the old Official Manics forum.
Old 24-02-2019, 22:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
I didn't mean to imply it was all bad. I'm actually still in touch with some of the friends I made on the old Official Manics forum.
No, i know. I agree, the decent people far outweighed the bad i just mean we've now seen the rise of actual fascist groups through these platforms so looking back it does now seem kind of quaint.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 24-02-2019, 22:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Could have easily have been both which would explain the discrepancy in phrasing. Martin is more likely as he would have made the hotel booking in behalf of James and Richey. Worth remembering that James did get the flight to the US as planned though he would have had to confirm with Martin on that.

Martin Hall said in the Escape from History doc that James phoned him up and said he couldn’t reach Richey so Martin told him to go and catch his flight to NY or wherever they were going and he’d check on Richey. He had the room opened and it was him who discovered what was in the room. The thing is, I don’t think anyone in the know ever said that it was James who went into the room, I think it was always just assumed it was him because it was the logical conclusion given that they were at the hotel together. I honestly can’t think of a single interview where James ever said he went into the room. I might be wrong though.

As for the 24 hour clock, I was sceptical at first, but I think it’s probably the truth. Rachel Edwards stated that the Metropolitan Police acknowledged that the time on the toll receipt was in fact 2:55 am which probably means they had evidence to support their claim. I also don’t think the fact he was seen by many people leaving the Embassy Hotel at 7 am can be disputed either. I always thought Britain had loads of CCTV cameras everywhere because of the violence associated with the Troubles in Northern Ireland and if that’s the case, why was there no footage of any of his movements?
Old 24-02-2019, 23:13
Builder of routine

CCTV wasn't everywhere. The technology wasn't what it is today Quick google .. apparently the home office spent 200 million on installing new CCTV cameras between 1994 and 1999. Before then they had been reserved for high risk areas like banks.
Had he used public transport he would probably have been spotted at stations but with his car not necessarily. One place that might've had cameras was the carpark if he parked in one and not the street. Though I guess not if it's not ever been mentioned

Last edited by hummingbird; 24-02-2019 at 23:32.
Old 24-02-2019, 23:30
Banned

I live in Northern Ireland and even we didn't have CCTV everywhere in the mid 90s. :/ Even so, what CCTV did exist would be pretty grainy and insubstantial.