Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-10-2017, 16:50
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
Maybe, why open the doors so early though?
Absolutely no idea, I was thinking aloud (well typing...).

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 18-10-2017, 17:54
A self-made vacuum

They've won the Q inspiration Award. So now we know why they are performing tonight.
Old 18-10-2017, 22:11
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
They've won the Q inspiration Award. So now we know why they are performing tonight.
Well done MANIC STREET PREACHERS for winning the Q Inspiration Award!
"Yeah, but who have they inspired?".
Well... Me!
"Bollocks! You did fuck all in reading the books they quote or bettering yourself!!"
Oh have I not been doing it properly?

The common thinking is Everything Must Go was a sympathy vote for Richey disappearing, but I say to that FUCK OFF! There hasn't been a shit Manics album.
There's been bands you would rank higher of course, but unlike The Doors there isn't the embarrassment or remembering how you used to listen to them.
Better than Blur and Oasis yet still get labelled Britpop despite arriving before and carrying on after that term went to shit.
I'd pick the Manics even over Radiohead! So it's not the innovation I'm looking for.
I would put them in the same sentence as Pink Floyd and The Beatles. Yes, I went there.

Actually, Postcards From A Young Man I didn't like. But that reminds me of being unhappy so I don't touch it. But Know Your Enemy, Lifeblood and even their last two, Rewind The Film and Futurology, should be in the same sentence as The Holy Bible etc.

And I listened to the Manics before I listened to The Smiths and Morrissey so...
And naturally I wish Omnea Opera could have been as big as them!

So well done MANIC STREET PREACHERS and bollocks to that Tiger Asthma band in the middle 2000's that said all my stuff sounds like Manic Street Preachers!!
Old 18-10-2017, 22:16
I live to fall asleep

Very decent indeed that.

Although I got absolutely twatted in the nose...

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 19-10-2017, 08:31
Footprint of history

Very good show last night. I enjoyed it a lot. A Song For Departure and Little Baby Nothing were really nice surprises as was the cracking acoustic version of Faster (great to hear that especially as James mentioned that they won't be playing any/many THB songs for a while).
Old 19-10-2017, 09:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Very good show last night. I enjoyed it a lot. A Song For Departure and Little Baby Nothing were really nice surprises as was the cracking acoustic version of Faster (great to hear that especially as James mentioned that they won't be playing any/many THB songs for a while).
Nice inclusions indeed.

You know, if they don't like Lifeblood so much, and yet still want to include songs from it form time to time, why don't they just re-imagine them live - more guitar heavy or faster or whatever.

Nice to hear no more THB songs for a while - the anniversary tour was fantastic and yet very weird at the same time.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:48
Bored of being bored

A Song for Departure was great! Definitely sounded faster and rougher, so maybe that's what they're doing!

Really pleased with the set list - I was determined to just enjoy what overplayed song came, nearly wavered at YSTSFMH, but when they played Song for Departure and Faster acoustic, I couldn't begrudge them anything else (just glad It's Not War didn't get a showing!). Could have done with one song from GATS full band, but that's my only complaint. Wire seemed in better spirits than people have mentioned before, did his YLAINE vocals, moved around a lot, spoke to the crowd etc.

Seemed to be almost full length as well, they played right up to 11 for a change! Did not regret a mid-week London gig even though I'm knackered now, thank god for home working days!
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 19-10-2017, 12:34
Freed from the century

Really great seeing everyone yesterday. WOuld have stayed out later but had ot be back here in Nottingham to work and I was in a hostel room with 7 random people so wanted to get back and try and sleep (not much luck).

A thousand and one tumblr and fan pages got banded about yesterday, can people remind me of them please?

I think there was Nicky Is Behind you and Picturesque JDB. If you have nay links, that would be really ace.
Old 19-10-2017, 17:48
Builder of routine

Really enjoyed the gig. Never expected song for departure and singing along to faster is always fun regardless of whether it's acoustic or not.
Good to see Nicky up for some chatter ...liked his jacket ..anyone got a closeup of it? I was too far to the left.

Missed out on the badges but I did get a scarf ..in colours I actually like for once yay.

Hopefully more gigs next year and hopefully I'll have more time to be sociable. I've missed the barrier

I see lots of messages about no more albums but the nme is talking about an interview from 2 years ago?? Are they being shit again?
Old 20-10-2017, 14:49
Freed from the century

Considering when I yelled "When are we getting some new songs" JDB barked back; "When they're fucking ready", it's pretty much a given that there's a new album on the way.

It is just likely to come out later than what we were predicted.
Old 20-10-2017, 17:16
Bored out of my mind

Really enjoyed the gig, definitely the best one I've been to this year. The band seemed really up for it, Nicky seemed happier/more talkative and the crowd round me were decent without being dicks about it (unlike at various festivals over the summer). A Song For Departure and Little Baby Nothing were nice surprises! I had kind of expected the same setlists as the summer festivals, so was glad they mixed things up a bit. Acoustic From Despair to Where was written on the paper setlist, but we got acoustic Faster instead, which was a decent swap and the crowd singalong was brilliant. James said he was still getting over the lurgy, but he sounded pretty impressive anyway (better than I ever could even at full health, that's for sure).

It was a bit of a strange afternoon 'queuing' though...in that we didn't so much as queue but act as a rent-a-crowd to the celebs arriving for the awards ceremony. The Manics showed up and got the biggest cheer (obviously), whereas, no one even recognised a lot of the people having their photos taken by the press There were some bigger names though, such as Paloma Faith, Ed Sheeran (as if he got the award for Best Act on the Planet or whatever they call it...I mean, seriously?), Maisie Williams...oh and not forgetting Shane Richie of course. Definitely the highlight of my day Michael Sheen did walk down the street by the queue after the ceremony was over, which was a bit exciting even though I couldn't really see him that clearly. We figured he would be presenting the band with their Inspiration award when we saw that he was supposed to be attending.

Overall a good day/night though, nice to catch up with people in the queue and pleased that the band got recognition for all their hard work over the years.

The less said about the support band (Sleaford Mods) the better. I nearly pulled a muscle laughing though (because they were so bad for the record) and actually thought they were some sort of misguided parody act

I shall post a few photos shortly (of the Manics...definitely not of Sleaford Mods. No one wants to see a middle-aged man with his hands down his pants ).
Old 20-10-2017, 17:24
Bored out of my mind

Some photos (couldn't get a decent one of Sean I'm afraid):

So many streamers! We saw someone walking to Camden Town tube station afterwards wearing a coat made of them.

Old 20-10-2017, 17:49
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi A View Post
Considering when I yelled "When are we getting some new songs" JDB barked back; "When they're fucking ready", it's pretty much a given that there's a new album on the way.

It is just likely to come out later than what we were predicted.
Completely missed that. The crowd chatter was so loud this time
Old 21-10-2017, 13:41
A self-made vacuum

Really good show despite being shorter than usual. The evening started with a Northern Soul DJ set consisting mainly of two guys standing around on stage drinking beers. Follow by Sleaford Mods, two guys standing around on the stage drinking beers.
I thought the DJ wasn't actually that bad and actually was good enough to fill the support act quota if necessary.
The Mods weren't mine thing, but I guess I can see the appeal of them. About 4 songs in a was beginning to get a headache. Would of been a whole lot better with just the one act and let the Manics come on earlier.
As I say the Manics were awesome and in good spirits. Sean almost looked buried sitting beneath and behind the very large screen hovering over the stage.
A Song For A Departure was definitely a highlight, I do hope this means that we will hear other Lifeblood tracks in the future. Faster was always a track I never thought really worked acoustically but it doesn't seem as bad hearing it recently, perhaps audience participation has helped.
I was quite surprised to see a merch stand though it was mostly t-shirts from the website. Did get a scarf and badge. Also I grabbed a sheet with the expected walk-on times. I never manage to get a setlist so this is kind of a substitute setlist, just a lot less detailed...

Also I noticed that Absolute Radio sponsored the whole evening, so maybe some of it will get broadcast?

Last edited by Nobody; 21-10-2017 at 18:57.
Old 21-10-2017, 21:17
Builder of routine

i must say that this year we got some really weird ass queues, but this one beats everything.

the gig was excellent, however i will never ever go willingly listen to sleaford mods again

I made some videos
Faster I'm sorry it cut out the ending, i pressed the stop button by accident
Little Baby Nothing ft The Anchoress

Untill next year i guess