Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-12-2014, 18:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

So the Manics may have taught a lot of you to question the big wide world, but what about actually questioning the band themselves? Their version of events? I know how this sounds to people (conspiratorial and troll-like) but all I can say for now is that the truth will out eventually.

1. Elizabeth - Maybe it's worth asking the band in all honestly how they came upon the Bugs Bunny folder?
2. Takk - Richey could have joined another band and made them famous. The band were about to fade into oblivion before Richey cut 4REAL into his arm. And lord knows they wouldn't have gotten any gigs/interest if it weren't for Richey's letters to the music press.
Old 08-12-2014, 18:39
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
So the Manics may have taught a lot of you to question the big wide world, but what about actually questioning the band themselves? Their version of events? I know how this sounds to people (conspiratorial and troll-like) but all I can say for now is that the truth will out eventually.

1. Elizabeth - Maybe it's worth asking the band in all honestly how they came upon the Bugs Bunny folder?
2. Takk - Richey could have joined another band and made them famous. The band were about to fade into oblivion before Richey cut 4REAL into his arm. And lord knows they wouldn't have gotten any gigs/interest if it weren't for Richey's letters to the music press.
Hi Flicker, I'm among those who don't believe that Richey killed himself, and the band have never seemed to either. Whether he's still alive anywhere now who knows, but wherever he is or isn't, and whatever he pictured his legacy as being, he could not genuinely claim that the band have been anything but respectful to his material and fame.

You make it sound like he'd have a case to sue them for something, but he wouldn't. Of course he might have hoped they release JFPL sooner (or not at all), but he can't claim to have any authority over them and neither are they to be expected to read his mind in some way and do what he wished.
Old 08-12-2014, 18:45
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
And who said Richey left the JFPL lyrics to the band? Nicky and James? Has anyone else investigated whether this is true or not? I know it will sound crackpot to some of you, but does anyone even know what Richey's sister says or thinks?
Who cares if it's true or not? He's dead. Same as with New Order playing Joy Division songs; what would Ian Curtis think? Doesn't matter, he's dead.

Richey's sister wasn't part of the band, I don't see why she should have a say in what happened to his lyrics, or certainly why she should have any more of a say than the other three.
Old 08-12-2014, 19:12
Administrator

Quote:

Even bigger speculation. The manics went massive AFTER richey left, based on james and sean's music and nick's lyrics.
Old 08-12-2014, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Even bigger speculation. The manics went massive AFTER richey left, based on james and sean's music and nick's lyrics.
They had the platform to begin with and were friends with Rob Stringer. They took a different musical direction after Richey and were already signed - win/win. Doubtful would have happened if they weren't signed.
Old 08-12-2014, 19:28
Administrator

Quote:
They had the platform to begin with and were friends with Rob Stringer. They took a different musical direction after Richey and were already signed - win/win. Doubtful would have happened if they weren't signed.
I'm not denying things before that contributed to it, but the idea that without richey they wouldn't have made it is to me, nonsense.

Last edited by Takk; 10-12-2014 at 15:59.
Old 08-12-2014, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
Who cares if it's true or not? He's dead. Same as with New Order playing Joy Division songs; what would Ian Curtis think? Doesn't matter, he's dead.

Richey's sister wasn't part of the band, I don't see why she should have a say in what happened to his lyrics, or certainly why she should have any more of a say than the other three.
Yeah, fuck that! He's dead... let's stop talking about it! Whilst we're at it let's abandon all questioning about the deceased - John Lennon? FUCK HIM, he's dead! Syd Barrett? FUCK HIM, he's dead! Stuart Sutcliffe? Same!

Anyway, I guess it's my fault as I'm coming here without visible evidence, but as I said before, won't be long before all is revealed. Laters.
Old 08-12-2014, 19:49

Quote:
I'm not denying things before that contributed to it, but the idea that without richey they wouldn't have made it is to me, nonsense. But we've dragged this thread off topic enough.
Subjective. To me, they'd have been another Funeral In Berlin without the right steering at the beginning of their career.
Old 08-12-2014, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Hi Flicker, I'm among those who don't believe that Richey killed himself, and the band have never seemed to either. Whether he's still alive anywhere now who knows, but wherever he is or isn't, and whatever he pictured his legacy as being, he could not genuinely claim that the band have been anything but respectful to his material and fame.

You make it sound like he'd have a case to sue them for something, but he wouldn't. Of course he might have hoped they release JFPL sooner (or not at all), but he can't claim to have any authority over them and neither are they to be expected to read his mind in some way and do what he wished.
Questionable. They have certainly contained his image for their own gain.
Wheel him out as a commodity when needed and downplayed him when needed. God forbid a film about Richey Edwards... remember them saying that? Turning Richey into a cult Jim Morrison figure and leaving those three potato heads behind! Strange how the table turns when a director, whose pockets they are firmly in, want to make a film about their lives.
There is a well cultivated, much regurgitated 'official' version of events, that Simon Prices and those in the pocket of the band are happy to back up, but beyond that is a version closer to the truth. As I said, laters.

PS: Interesting reading... for those who can be bothered:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Sh.../dp/0330489968
Old 08-12-2014, 19:58
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Yeah, fuck that! He's dead... let's stop talking about it! Whilst we're at it let's abandon all questioning about the deceased - John Lennon? FUCK HIM, he's dead! Syd Barrett? FUCK HIM, he's dead! Stuart Sutcliffe? Same!
Let me guess, the Illuminati/Sean Moore/next door's cat killed them as well and it's all a big cover up?

Is this what happens when you stop taking your medication?
Old 08-12-2014, 20:02

Quote:
LOL. As I said, let's get back on topic, it's not a topic to express your conspiracy theories about the band.
No conspiracy theories. Just a human story behind the facade.
Old 08-12-2014, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post

Is this what happens when you stop taking your medication?
Best thing to be posting on a Manics forum? Or because Simon Price has made out anybody to be an admirer of Richard's is unstable/mentally deranged?
Sad that anybody who questions any mainstream version of events is instantly labelled a loony...
Sigh.
Old 08-12-2014, 20:08
Administrator

People who repeatedly spout stuff without a shed of evidence, not 'anyone who questions'.

Last edited by Takk; 10-12-2014 at 15:59.
Old 08-12-2014, 20:12
Footprint of history

Quote:
Anyway, I guess it's my fault as I'm coming here without visible evidence, but as I said before, won't be long before all is revealed. Laters.
Just to play devil's avocado* for moment, but what is the truth then? We're only talking about a band, not the Illuminati (who we all know are Guns 'n' Roses fans) so what do you have to lose by telling us, rather than waving vague statements around.

G'wan. Dares ya.

*sic
Old 08-12-2014, 20:12

Quote:
People who repeatedly spout stuff without a shed of evidence, not 'anyone who questions'.

Anyway, back on topic....
And what evidence do you have other the band's word? Their version of events? 'Why should/would they lie?' - because there are power struggles, jealousies, and resentment in every band... The Beatles... The Stones... Pink Floyd... why exempt the Manics? Only thing is, they don't have Richey here to give the other side of the story... (unlike Paul/John (at the time), Bryan Jones, Syd... etc) But fair enough, 'derailed thread', I'll leave you to your usual musings.