Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-12-2021, 06:42
Freed from the century

Happy 10th Anniversary of National Treasures gig!

Still probably the best gig I've ever been to despite only just making it having spent the previous few days in bed with flu.
My body is celebrating the anniversary having let me spend the past week in bed with covid.
Old 17-12-2021, 09:35
Doors slowly closing

Indeed. And we still haven't got a bloody video.

10 years eh - where does the time go?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 17-12-2021, 10:07
Freed from the century

Even just the completed set of audio tracks would be nice.
Old 17-12-2021, 10:34
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Even just the completed set of audio tracks would be nice.
Wouldn’t it just!

I can’t believe it’s been ten years. What a gig. Glad I managed to catch So Why So Sad and Love’s Sweet Exile live and see There By The Grace and Nixon again after almost ten years.

I was hoping they would pull out PCP as a double A side but ah well. Was a great night.
Old 17-12-2021, 11:59
I live to fall asleep

I went to the NT show. It felt like an end of an era - both for the band and for my fandom.

The gig felt very big. I didn't enjoy it that much. Got the shits the next day, probably from a chicken wrap.
Old 17-12-2021, 12:26
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

My memory of this gig consists of seeing someone who was a doppelganger of Nick Griffin holding court in one of the eateries. Pretty meh atmosphere and probably in the bottom three of Manics gig experiences. Never really understood people's fascination with this gig, the recordings I've heard are a bit lifeless.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 17-12-2021, 15:21
Bored of being bored

Still one of my favourite ever Manics gigs.... a handful of songs that I hadn't seen them play live before, a few old favourites that had laid undisturbed for a long time and lot and lots of hits!

If I had to pick out a highlight it has to be Revol, thrilling and terrifying in equal amounts and the video played behind the band as they performed it added to the brilliance of its spectacle.

Reckon it was the thirteenth Manics gig I went to... now more than doubled that in the next ten years. As others have commented the only thing missing is an official recording, although my bootleg version is still what I go out jogging to.

Would it be classified as the last iconic Manics gig? There's been plenty of fine ones since, but nothing that the fanbase can unite around quite like it.
Old 17-12-2021, 16:16
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post

Would it be classified as the last iconic Manics gig? There's been plenty of fine ones since, but nothing that the fanbase can unite around quite like it.
I think the Cardiff NHS gigs this year were pretty iconic! In fact for me they were much more iconic than the O2 show, but I was at the nadir of my Manics fandom back in 2011 so I’m not the best judge.

I do regret that I wasn’t in the best place to enjoy the O2 show, but you can’t help what life throws at you, and at least I was there, though I have next to no memory of it.
Old 17-12-2021, 16:24
I live to fall asleep

I enjoyed the gig, don't remember much now apart from watching Nina on stage for the duration of Your Love Alone as I knew I'd never get to see her again in the flesh, Revol being pretty rocking down near the front and being so bloody tired afterwards, physically and mentally before a long drive back to Yorkshire afterwards. Such a shame they didn't film it, but I think they said it would have been too expensive
Old 17-12-2021, 17:51
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
I feel like you could maybe say the Liberty Stadium gig for EMG?
Old 17-12-2021, 19:50
Bored of being bored

Just found my review on facebook of the gig:

Last night was pretty much three hours of amazingness. All the live standards were amazing, but Revol was just above anything ever. Bradders wore a sailor suit and nailed every guitar solo going, and they got Nina and that guy from the Super Furry Animals to come and do some singing. In summary, I wish I could go and see the Manics every single day.

Also it turns out five years ago I went to see Kula Shaker! Tonight I do nothing!

Thanks for the replies about my earlier post about iconic gigs, there's a few that spring to mind from the distant pass that we'd probably all agree on - Glasto 94, Manic Millenium, Cuba. I guess along with the Liberty Stadium and NHS gigs you could put in the Holy Bible gig at Cardiff Castle... they just feel a little bit like big shows that were part of a tour rather than something one off and completely unique. But that's just my thoughts, hope it kind of makes sense!
Old 17-12-2021, 20:19
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Any of the holy bible gigs are just as iconic.

It was the last BIG gig or at least until they call it day.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 19-12-2021, 17:04
Bored of being bored

Holy Bible at Cardiff Castle looked pretty good. The 3 gigs at the Roundhouse were immense.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 20-12-2021, 13:39
Bored of being bored

I didn't like the 1st half so much, something was lacking for some reason but the 2nd was much better!

Had they split then & comeback now, they'd be more popular now.
Old 21-12-2021, 23:33
Winterlover

Enjoyed the show but enjoyed the absolute mission a 6 hour drive both ways more. IDIOT.

It was fun though. Looking back it did have an end of era feel to it. Not that you can predict these things, but if you take the last decade overall (perhaps with the exception of RIF in parts) the albums have been more experimental overall than what came before it. And so that "classic" Manics sound is still there, but it was always very obvious who you were listening to before then.

In many way it was a classic Manics show. It had all the hits, and yet some of them were obscure enough to confuse the (understandably) mainstream crowd at the event. "Loves Sweet Whuuut? The Love of Richard Whooooo?"

Still. I enjoyed it, and it felt like a natural point where my musical interests were moving onto other things. That said, as a ridiculous mission, as a big gig and as a way to celebrate the band it was cool to be at. Not the very best gig I ever saw them do, but sometimes the circumstance and the event itself can overtake the actual performance. And with all the singles on one night, it had a uniqueness and a fun factor to it that I really got into. So yeah. Good memories of this one.