Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-09-2010, 03:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

There By the Grace of God and Lifeblood b-sides

Hey guys i've been listening to these b-sides for the first time in a while. They are sooo good and should have been released as an album I think... maybe would be better than Lifeblood (which I like as well). Anyway, are these available from anywhere still? they really are very very good!

Automatik Teknicolour, It's All gone, Litany, No Jubilees, Dying Breeds (best Nicky sung song)... these are really good songs.

Last edited by Vogon Poet; 21-09-2010 at 03:45.
Old 21-09-2010, 06:13

Available on the 2 CD Japanese reissue of Lifeblood, has almost all the b-sides from Forever Delayed and Lifeblood.
Old 21-09-2010, 09:40

Hmm ok thanks.
I was kind of hoping for something on the net - even itunes.
Thanks though!
Old 21-09-2010, 10:09
Winterlover

Lifeblood singles tend to be rather cheap on eBay and Amazon Marketplace - I got Empty Souls CD1 from the latter for a bit over a pound and the vast majority of that was the postage.

And yes, the band's best b-sides periods. Amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing amazing. Would have loved a whole album done in the FD-era style (which I find stylistically slightly different to the LB period but that's just me). But as that's not reality, self-made comps have to do.

Incidentally, regarding the 2-CD Japanese re-release of Lifeblood - where might one find that the cheapest?

Last edited by Flint; 21-09-2010 at 10:14.
Old 21-09-2010, 11:11
Bored of being bored

TLORN single - Everything will be and Askew Road

fucking classics!
Old 21-09-2010, 12:54
Doors slowly closing

No Jubilees should have been on the album, and It's all gone and Automatik Teknicolour are wasted as bsides. The latter is one of my favourite Manics songs of the 2000's.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:50
Builder of routine

Seconded on the Automatik love, it's one of my favourite songs to jump around to. And the lines of the chorus are exquisite 'until the darkness sparkles' it makes me tingly inside.
Old 27-08-2021, 21:12
Knowlede Is Power

Listening to it now - as I do every 6 months or so - I know they hate it but it’s a huge, huge song. It’s almost 20 years old and I still think it’s such a lost song.

I think it’s the only song of theirs where the studio version is better than the live version.

One of their better videos too.

Edit - I mean TBTGOG not the b-sides. Although as said above AT is quality too.
Old 29-08-2021, 16:11

I absolutely love Grace of God, one of my favourite Manics songs, but I still don't quite get how they arrived at the conclusion that it would be a more appropriate single than Automatik Teknicolour, which just screams 'single'.
Old 29-08-2021, 16:22
I live to fall asleep

The Jo Whiley live session version of There by the Grace of God really is the definitive version. The strings are gorgeous. Msppedia uploaded it to YouTube this past week.
Old 30-08-2021, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
The Jo Whiley live session version of There by the Grace of God really is the definitive version. The strings are gorgeous. Msppedia uploaded it to YouTube this past week.
This sounds very interesting? Do you have link perhaps? (just searching tbtgog and jo whiley didn't do anything on the tube...)
Old 30-08-2021, 13:42
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
This sounds very interesting? Do you have link perhaps? (just searching tbtgog and jo whiley didn't do anything on the tube...)
https://youtu.be/ULNgYvEID1g?t=664
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 30-08-2021, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron the little seal View Post
Thank you. Lovely pensive strings, yes. Low cello sound. Reminds me of Everyone Knows / No One Cares. Another amazing b-side from Lifeblood.

You know what kinda makes me wonder? Why bands don't remix their old works more. The French band Indochine just did new mixes of all their singles since 2000. Sold them as a best of collection. It sounded immense. Wide, muscular, spectacular stuff. Of the 20 songs, maybe 4-5 were inferior, the rest were superior to the original mixes. It was a very interesting listen.

And then we have stuff like the insaaaaaanely good b-sides the manics did in the Lifeblood era. Circa 20 songs of glacial beauty, incredible vocals, singular atmoshpere. But the production is, well, b-side production. What I wouldn't give for them to mix these songs again so they have a standardized and punchy sound. I know this is a dream, but add some instrumentation here and there to fill things out. A more nuanced intro with little fx. Write some new verses (some of these excellent songs suffer from having repeated first verses...), sequence it well -- and it'd be in my all time top 5.

A personal favourite is All Alone Here. That "bethlehem radio" chorus just does something that few tracks do for me. And Dying Breeds... by god it's good.
Old 31-08-2021, 11:28

The Richard Nixon b-sides always sounded fine to me, but yeah, the Empty Souls ones (and Japan bonuses) really feel like they were never considered for the album and so were hastily pulled out and mixed by someone's mate on his laptop the day before the single went off to be manufactured. I suppose a proper mastering job on the whole lot would at least help a little. I'd love to hear a proper punchy version of 'Litany'. Although 'Dying Breeds' works quite well with its slightly naff, lo-fi sound I think.

Also, how weird is it that their most electronic sounding era was the first time since Generation Terrorists to have no remixes? You'd think the album as a whole would be absolutely ripe for remixing!

What is there in total?
There by the Grace of God
Automatik Teknicolour
It's All Gone
Unstoppable Salvation
Happy Ending
Forever Delayed

Everyone Knows / Nobody Cares
Everything Will Be
Askew Road
Quarantine (In My Place Of)
Voodoo Polaroids

All Alone Here
No Jubilees
Litany
Dying Breeds
Failure Bound

The Soulmates
Antarctic
A Secret Society
Firefight
Picturesque

19 tracks plus Lifeblood itself and the two TBTGOG remixes plus 12 demos, 45 tracks, what a deluxe edition that would be. C'mon boys, you've already been bigging up the Lifeblood connection with TUVL (even described as a trilogy with Futurology!), what a time to revisit it and put this whole package out.

Last edited by IntlDebris; 31-08-2021 at 11:34.
Old 31-08-2021, 12:01
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

There's also Leviathan and their cover of June Bridges The Instrumental. I think we can include Door to The River and if we're being generous the 2003 version of Motorcycle Emptiness

Stand back, I have political powers!