Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-06-2010, 13:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

MSP - The Worst Mailing List EVER

Haven't posted in quite a long time, and after a very busy year have drifted away from the Manics somewhat.

Anyway, I thought it was time to have a gander at their website and see what they're up to only to find out that they've announced a bloody new album and tour ages ago!

HOW MANY TIMES do I need to sign up to their useless mailing system to ever receive a single email.

I have quite literally signed up a dozen times over the last few years and have never once received a message. I use the same email add (a straight forwards googlemail one) every time, and it's not in my spam folder.

I give up!

I'd have thought it would be somewhat of a priority to stay in touch with the more casual fans - i.e. those that are interested enough to buy their records/go to their gigs but don't necessarily read the music press or spend time on MSP forums (i.e. me!!) - there must be a huge fan base out there that fall into this category.

If I hadn't wandered onto their website just now, I would have missed the gigs and probably missed the album release.

grumble grumble does anyone have a spare humbug?

PS can anyone get me up to speed with the new album in one paragraph or less? Don't have time to read the 50 page long thread at the moment! Is it looking/sounding good?
Old 29-06-2010, 13:07
Administrator

Just read FD instead, or subscribe to our twitter .
Old 29-06-2010, 13:08

Oh, I dont do twittering or facepages or whatever all that is called!
Old 29-06-2010, 13:10
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by 168 Seconds View Post
Oh, I dont do twittering or facepages or whatever all that is called!
You obviously do FD though, so just check here like Tim said. News etc is often posted here before it's up on the official site anyway...
Old 29-06-2010, 13:13

Yep will try to do.

To be honest, I dont really have the time or the inclination to get back into a MSP forum - it takes quite an amount of time to keep on top of everything and read through it all! Despite being an "original diehard" as it were, having followed them closely since 1993, I have fallen out of touch recently, though I would still buy their albums and gig tickets. I guess I have turned into a "mondeo driving fan" that I used to scorn ;-) I just dont have the time or the will to follow them that closely any more.

I'd rather they just sorted out their mailing list then I can get all the basic info I need (i.e. new album, new tour) in my inbox.

I am sure most of their fans fall into my category and wont know they are touring etc.
Old 29-06-2010, 13:19
Footprint of history

Quote:
Yep will try to do.

To be honest, I dont really have the time or the inclination to get back into a MSP forum - it takes quite an amount of time to keep on top of everything and read through it all! Despite being an "original diehard" as it were, having followed them closely since 1993, I have fallen out of touch recently, though I would still buy their albums and gig tickets. I guess I have turned into a "mondeo driving fan" that I used to scorn ;-) I just dont have the time or the will to follow them that closely any more.

I'd rather they just sorted out their mailing list then I can get all the basic info I need (i.e. new album, new tour) in my inbox.

I am sure most of their fans fall into my category and wont know they are touring etc.
I understand that. You can just check the main news page if you don't want to sift through all the threads on the forum. All of the confirmed news will be posted up there.
Old 29-06-2010, 13:52

Cheers Ben.

So, in a word (or a paragraph, maybe), what's the general feel from the fora on the new album?
Old 29-06-2010, 13:58
Footprint of history

Quote:
Cheers Ben.
No worries.

Quote:
So, in a word (or a paragraph, maybe), what's the general feel from the fora on the new album?
I can't speak for everyone, but my general feeling is one of excitement and apprehension (i.e. I really hope it's not terrible). I don't really know enough to make a judgement yet. I've not seen anything about the album other than the title and the artwork.

The tour on the other hand is very exciting.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:02
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
I have quite literally signed up a dozen times over the last few years and have never once received a message.
Same here, actually . I usually find out what's going on by text or on here these days. Missed out on the God Save The Manics EP cos of it, had to panic buy one off eBay.. Oops.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:11
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Same here, actually . I usually find out what's going on by text or on here these days. Missed out on the God Save The Manics EP cos of it, had to panic buy one off eBay.. Oops.
Shit that you didn't get the email about James' first three gigs either.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:14
I live to fall asleep

Was there an email sent out about the new album and tour? I certainly didn't get one - I know I got one last summer about the North American fall tour though, and I can't really complain because I'd forgotten I was even on their mailing list, and that email was what led me to get tickets, and that show reignited my manics enthusiasm and ultimately brought me here...and now I don't ever even check the official site.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:14
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_bloodstreams View Post
Shit that you didn't get the email about James' first three gigs either.
Or the recent email about the Manics' five night residency at the Manchester Roadhouse. They were great gigs!

The above may be a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
...and now I don't ever even check the official site.
Our work here is done.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:15
Administrator

Quote:
Cheers Ben.

Yeah, we generally update the newspage very quickly, or even before the official site has details. This is especially true of gig announcements or festivals.

Anyway, enough of the plugging. I think the new album sounds quite exciting, it is supposedly a return to the commercialness of EMG with big songs, and there are some 'official' rumours of Ian McCulloch and others singing/playing on songs. Hopefully they are going for great, but some obvious singles....I'm hoping for a better SATT.
Old 29-06-2010, 14:33

For me, SATT was like England in England vs Slovenia match last week. Better than previous couple of games, but really still a long long way to go.

I used to be primarily excited about new manics albums. Now my predominant emotion is hope. Hope that it wont be a crap album. That is just so wrong... Sigh...
Old 29-06-2010, 15:37
Footprint of history

Quote:
I used to be primarily excited about new manics albums. Now my predominant emotion is hope. Hope that it wont be a crap album. That is just so wrong... Sigh...
I don't think you're alone there, TBH. JFPL was a proper "return to form" though, I thought. I think the band generally try to please too many people at once, and end up having the opposite effect.