Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-09-2005, 12:41
I am purity, they call me perverted

JDB produced tracks to be on new Johnny Boy Album

from pitchforkmedia.com

Johnny Boy Complete Album, Shop for Labels, Shoes

Amy Phillips reports:
Every once in a while, a song comes along and wraps itself ‘round your velvet rims and straps its hands across your engines. It’s happy and sad and glorious and devastating all at the same time, and you want to marry it and make babies with it. Last year, for so many of us geeky interweb types, that song was “You Are the Generation Who Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve” by the British duo Johnny Boy. The track wasn’t released anywhere outside England, but its sweeping post-girlgroup fantasia hummed across the blogosphere and into our hearts, earning the Pitchforkian distinctions of Fiftieth Greatest Single of 2004 and Ninety-Fifth Greatest Single of the Decade (So Far). But after that brilliant sonic flash, Johnny Boy faded back into the shadows of obscurity, never to be heard from again… until now!

Band members Lolly and Davo revealed to Pitchfork via email that they have completed their debut album and are currently fielding offers from several labels, including Vice, Sony, and V2. (Hey corporate stiffs, here’s a clue: this band deserves bazillions of dollars…err, pounds.) The basic tracks were recorded in a London flat, and then polished up in various studios by producer Dave Eringa (Kylie Minogue, Ash, Idlewild). James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers co-produced “Generation” and “Johnny Boy Theme,” and famed garage rock purist Liam Watson (the White Stripes, the Kills, Holly Golightly) mixed “Generation”, allegedly allowing a computer in his notoriously archaic Toerag Studios for the first time. Lolly and Davo also added, “A Japanese drummer called Mako plays on ‘Generation’ and a lad called Greg Havers plays on ‘15 Minutes’ and ‘Formaldehyde’.

Johnny Boy describe the record’s sound like so: “Each track on the album is different, though they have an overall sound and spirit. There's a hip-hop/Bo Diddley/spaghetti western track(!), for instance. A Revolver/London Calling attitude means from the get go we wouldn't be pigeonholed and be free to do whatever we wanted. For us, a big part of the spirit of rock n roll was the shock of hearing something fresh and new-- from Little Richard to the Pistols to Public Enemy. And hopefully tie this to timeless melodies!” Sounds like they’re, aiming for the hilltops, and if “Generation” is any indication, by golly, they’ll make it there!

No Johnny Boy shows are planned for the moment, but that should change once that fat label advance comes rolling in. “We get offers for live gigs every day,” the band said, “but at the moment can just about make the rent, so a rehearsal room’s out of the question. However, the gigs we have done have been great, so we're hoping to put this right as soon as possible.” Yeah Yeah!!!

all i can say is AWSOME
Old 10-09-2005, 13:04
Doors slowly closing

Really liked the 'Shoes' single and have been waiting ever since for the album. Johnny Marr was tipping them at the end of last year, but I'm starting to worry they might have missed the boat.
Old 30-09-2009, 10:35
Builder of routine

has anyone heard this album or knows where can I get it? so far I've heard only Generation and I must say it's a cool track. I remember Nicky and James played it once during their residention @ XFM Radio. also I read somewhere that they were supporting Manics. so how are they like? just another indie band?
Old 30-09-2009, 10:37
Doors slowly closing

You should be able to buy it online, I got mine from Spillers a couple of years ago.
There are a few good tracks on there, it's very much a happy, poppy album.
Old 30-09-2009, 10:41
Builder of routine

great, found it on ebay
paypal limitation - I CURSE YOU
Old 30-09-2009, 10:50
A self-made vacuum

damn i thought this was news on a second album
Old 14-10-2009, 00:11
I live to fall asleep

Yeh me too! Fooled again by a cunning post!
Old 14-10-2009, 19:35
Bored out of my mind

Thought this was something new as well. Darn.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)