Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-09-2013, 23:33
Winterlover

Great gig. Too tired. Going back to Birmingham now. Hopefully a longer account soon!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 23-09-2013, 23:34
I live to fall asleep

It was a great gig and despite the fact that I didn't meet any FDers (no time to hang around after the gig), I had the company of a lovely couple of "there-from-the-start"-fans, he was from Wrexham and looked like a slightly older version of Rhydian of The Joy Formidable. They were amazing company and sing-along-buddies!
Setlist was lush, well pleased we got half of Tokyo Skyline and of course Ready For Drowning and Elvis Impersonator, hadn't seen either of them live. 30 Year War was incredibly good, too! Marwood is right, James looks like a hyperactive Tigger, very sweet. Someone needs to burn that jacket though, it's foul, unsuitable and doesn't even fit him, what's with that PoS?? And thank Christ we won't get Cate Le Bon tomorrow, that was a nasty shock when she turned up! Urgh! But nagging aside, a great gig, great sound and another version of the "first gig at Colston Hall"-story. PSB were really, really cool, I'm well impressed.
Oh and to the guys getting up during Sullen Welsh Heart/acoustic set to get beers: you're something that rhymes with "hats"! Same goes for the prick of a security guard who let a girl stand all through gig despite the fact that blocked some people's view BUT made the heavily pregnant woman leave - she couldn't sit on the chair and he wouldn't let her sit on the steps, utter prick!! She didn't block the steps or anything. Prick.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 23-09-2013, 23:35
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar View Post
Marwood must be writing the longest review ever...
I'm waiting for that!

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 23-09-2013, 23:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
Oh and to the guys getting up during Sullen Welsh Heart/acoustic set to get beers: you're something that rhymes with "hats"!
People left on the acoustic set to get beers? Grr
Old 23-09-2013, 23:42
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
People left on the acoustic set to get beers? Grr
utter "rhymes-with-hats", I tell you! And there was this lady with a boy, maybe ten or so, she told him "we'll leave at ten, even if they're still playing, you've got school tomorrow". They did leave pretty much on time, waste of two tickets, no?

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

I'm just a pasty

Met all three. Got all their sigs. Got a pic with each. I'm fucking dead now!

And even better, got to meet marwood and hummingbird. So glad you got a handshake hummingbird!

Got a Jamesy handshake myself. *faints*

Oh and as James got on the tourbus, he wagged his finger at us and said we'd all better get home safe!
Knowlede Is Power

Oh, I'm in pain after this one. Just exhausted by the end. Ankles and knees are falling apart now, and an elbow is joining them. I really enjoyed it, but at the same time I was ticking off the setlist in my head, trying to figure out how many more songs I needed to get through. Really wish I'd gotten that nap earlier! Will sleep like a log tonight though.

Had a nice time in the queue. Lovely to feel like I'm actually a part of the queue a little bit on this tour rather than some guy standing nearby looking awkward, lonely and a bit creepy. And I talked to loads of people today, regardless of whether they wanted me to or not, so my 'actually speak to people' mission on this tour is truly satisfied. Admittedly, I feel like I probably made a bit of a cock-end of myself with most of them, but... Nice to chat to Lindz, and Shug and Hummingbird were really lovely company and I hope I didn't impose myself on your day too much. Nice to meet Nasalscarecrow and Sculptureofabloke briefly, too.

Sorry I didn't really say goodbye to anyone, just assumed I'd bump into y'all again on the way out!

Speaking of, there was a really pretty girl with very red hair a few spots behind me in the queue, and when I left the gig she was at the top of the stairs talking to somebody, and gave me the "oh, you're that Marwood" look that I've gotten used to this last week (it's usually followed by the "hang on, you're a boy!" look). Felt like I should have known her. Any ideas?

Anyway. Seemed like a really good gig and people seemed to really enjoy it. Nicky seemed a little more subdued than the Dublin and Belfast gigs, but seemed to perk up a lot with support from Lindz and the Nicky girls.

Lovely stuff with James interacting with the audience again - singalong during The Everlasting, You Stole The Sun, ADFL - and his Tokyo Skyline bit got a huge response. Oh, and - you guessed it - the Echo and the Bunnymen story.

The Tokyo Skyline thing made the night for me. Such a special, generous, intimate moment. James and his guitar, under a spotlight, being incredibly beautiful, and that moment will never happen again. It's little scenes like this that make it so, so worthwhile to be doing every gig.

Nicky gets more glam with each gig. Bet the skirts turn up again at Glasgow, whatever he's saying now.

Some polite Naysmythe baiting because his parents were in the audience.

So, so chuffed to see Cate Le Bon join them one final time. She was amazing and beautiful Lets see Lucy Rose beat that. WON'T HAPPEN, LOVE. SORRY BUT NO.

30 Year War continues to be an unstoppable adamantium-reinforced killing machine when played live. Long may it's reign continue.

Crowd down the front were keen! I had to fight to avoid getting crushed a few times, but generally it was enthusiastic but polite and considerate. Always a relief.

I bought the 'heads' tee to wear at tomorrow's gig (it's lovely, but will fall apart after two washes) and the mug (a bit bland, but hey). From the sounds of things they're starting to run out of things in certain sizes, so get in quick if you're still after anything!

Last edited by Marwood; 23-09-2013 at 23:49.
Old 23-09-2013, 23:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post

And even better, got to meet marwood and hummingbird. So glad you got a handshake hummingbird!

You lucky thing you!! Well pleased for you!

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 23-09-2013, 23:43
Stretched out in the sun

I've been to some concerts where the kid took pics of the band and left within a half hour. What a waste of $200 plus parking.
Old 23-09-2013, 23:46
Winterlover

Great review Marwood!! Thank you!!
Old 23-09-2013, 23:46
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:

Oh and as James got on the tourbus, he wagged his finger at us and said we'd all better get home safe!
Lucky you! I have been home sick all day.
Old 23-09-2013, 23:49
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Great review Marwood!! Thank you!!
Oh yes, thank you Marwood, always nice to hear what it was like "down there". Tokyo Skyline was lush, I thought it was lovely that he did that so spontaneously. (well, it felt genuinely improvised)

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 23-09-2013, 23:51
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
Oh, I'm in pain after this one. Just exhausted by the end. Ankles and knees are falling apart now, and an elbow is joining them. I really enjoyed it, but at the same time I was ticking off the setlist in my head, trying to figure out how many more songs I needed to get through. Really wish I'd gotten that nap earlier! Will sleep like a log tonight though.

Had a nice time in the queue. Lovely to feel like I'm actually a part of the queue a little bit on this tour rather than some guy standing nearby looking awkward, lonely and a bit creepy. And I talked to loads of people today, regardless of whether they wanted me to or not, so my 'actually speak to people' mission on this tour is truly satisfied. Admittedly, I feel like I probably made a bit of a cock-end of myself with most of them, but... Nice to chat to Lindz, and Shug and Hummingbird were really lovely company and I hope I didn't impose myself on your day too much. Nice to meet Nasalscarecrow and Sculptureofabloke briefly, too.

Sorry I didn't really say goodbye to anyone, just assumed I'd bump into y'all again on the way out!

Speaking of, there was a really pretty girl with very red hair a few spots behind me in the queue, and when I left the gig she was at the top of the stairs talking to somebody, and gave me the "oh, you're that Marwood" look that I've gotten used to this last week (it's usually followed by the "hang on, you're a boy!" look). Felt like I should have known her. Any ideas?

Anyway. Seemed like a really good gig and people seemed to really enjoy it. Nicky seemed a little more subdued than the Dublin and Belfast gigs, but seemed to perk up a lot with support from Lindz and the Nicky girls.

Lovely stuff with James interacting with the audience again - singalong during The Everlasting, You Stole The Sun, ADFL - and his Tokyo Skyline bit got a huge response. Oh, and - you guessed it - the Echo and the Bunnymen story.

The Tokyo Skyline thing made the night for me. Such a special, generous, intimate moment. James and his guitar, under a spotlight, being incredibly beautiful, and that moment will never happen again. It's little scenes like this that make it so, so worthwhile to be doing every gig.

Nicky gets more glam with each gig. Bet the skirts turn up again at Glasgow, whatever he's saying now.

Some polite Naysmythe baiting because his parents were in the audience.

So, so chuffed to see Cate Le Bon join them one final time. She was amazing and beautiful Lets see Lucy Rose beat that. WON'T HAPPEN, LOVE. SORRY BUT NO.

30 Year War continues to be an unstoppable adamantium-reinforced killing machine when played live. Long may it's reign continue.

Crowd down the front were keen! I had to fight to avoid getting crushed a few times, but generally it was enthusiastic but polite and considerate. Always a relief.

I bought the 'heads' tee to wear at tomorrow's gig (it's lovely, but will fall apart after two washes) and the mug (a bit bland, but hey). From the sounds of things they're starting to run out of things in certain sizes, so get in quick if you're still after anything!
Tokyo Skyline was amazing.

Lol at James when we booed him for not playing Sleepflower.
Old 23-09-2013, 23:54
Bored out of my mind

Quote:

Yay brilliant I've experienced the Bradfield handshake before too; my hand actually tingled for a good few minutes afterwards, such was the force of it
Old 23-09-2013, 23:56
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Marwood must be writing the longest review ever...
The cheek! I was actually going to sit back and enjoy other people's accounts on this one, but... nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
It was a great gig and despite the fact that I didn't meet any FDers (no time to hang around after the gig)
Was sorry not to meet you! was keeping an eye out but never spotted you.

I'm right there with you on the security people, folk who go for drinks during the acoustic section or have flippin' loud conversations, and James' suit.

Your opinion on Cate is clearly the work of a lunatic though