Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 21:07
Doors slowly closing

Does it matter whether your partner or potential partner likes the Manics?

Two new threads in one day. CRAZY TIMES.

For me, it was easy, because I met Looke in the queue for a Manics gig and got to know him through here. It's definitely good having a husband who is as into them as well because it means I can talk about Manicsy stuff and he understands, and I always have someone to go to Manics gigs with me.

If I wasn't with him, then yeah, I think it would still matter. Ideally I would be with someone who was as into them as me, but if not, it would have to be someone who would at least take an interest in them and give their music a go. I think that goes for anything you love though; your partner should make the effort to share it with you, and obviously you would do the same for them and their interests.

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 06-11-2010, 21:08
I live to fall asleep

Not for me really - but he still has to listen to them. But he said he's always respected JDB, he's just never got into the music....until now. He turned when I made him come with me to Hull to see them.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:09
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Probably not, depends if you want a relationship though?
At the moment I don't, but I'm happy to talk to people.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:10
Stretched out in the sun

No.

Music is a huge part of my life but I love enough music and genres to be able to relate in some way to most people. If someone started slating the Manics for bad reasons I'd try to discuss it with them but eh, I don't blindly love any band because that just causes pointless hatred.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:10
Mr Msppedia

Not in the slightest
Old 06-11-2010, 21:12
Bored out of my mind

As long as they had reasonably good taste in music I wouldn't mind too much.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-11-2010, 21:19
Winterlover

Nope! Couldn't care less!

My boyfriend hates the Manics and I've always been cool with that. He likes a lot of classic metal a la Zepplin, Iron Maiden, etc and that's not my thing so it's fairly even on that platform. We do have similar tastes in music for the most part (beyond his appreciation for metal/hard rock) so I'm not at all put out by the fact that he doesn't like one band I'm into. As long as he digs Radiohead, he can stay.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Nope! Couldn't care less!

My boyfriend hates the Manics and I've always been cool with that. He likes a lot of classic metal a la Zepplin, Iron Maiden, etc and that's not my thing so it's fairly even on that platform. We do have similar tastes in music for the most part (beyond his appreciation for metal/hard rock) so I'm not at all put out by the fact that he doesn't like one band I'm into. As long as he digs Radiohead, he can stay.
My boyfriend is in to exactly the same of music. He really loves melodic music. I can live with that, I take an interest in what he likes and he does with me. We have a great thing going musically. I said I'll see the bands he wants to and he said he'll come with me to Manics gigs and such. Although we do sometimes have a rather funny Manics vs Iron Maiden fight!
Old 06-11-2010, 21:19
I live to fall asleep

Not at all. My fannishness has always been completely separate from my love life, and in lots of ways it would be weird for me to share that part of myself with a significant other. Fandom is for me and friends. (That's just my personal feeling; I know it's different for other couples!) The only thing that would make a difference is if my partner hated or didn't get classical music, because that's how I make my living.

My boyfriend doesn't really know the Manics, but he likes a lot of similar bands and bands that the Manics themselves like, and he's requested a mix from me. And I'm going to take him to at least one show in the spring, hopefully. He has his own enthusiasms so I know he won't be weirded out if I dress in leopard print and spend the entire time talking about lamb and Tarka with FD friends.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:23
Desire on its knees

I met Claire in '96 just before Everything Must Go was released. She was/is a casual indie - britpop as it was then - fan and had never heard of the manics before 'Design For Life' came out. 'EMG' remains her favourite album, and she thoroughly enjoyed me dragging (not in the caveman style!) her to see the band at Victoria Hall in Hanley that year. But her interest waned and I went to the TIMTTMY gig at Hereford leisure centre with a friend. Two more tours passed and I went to them both by myself until the PPF tour when she came along and (I think) had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Now, she happily enjoys the music, but If I get too intense with analysis or 'passion' (for want of a better word) will happily feign sleeping!

Having said that, she appreciates that, apart from her, the Manics have been the most important influence on my life so far and accepts that I will always see them that way. The fact that she enjoys most of their output (except The Holy Bible, irritatingly) to listen to in a casual manner, is a bonus.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Honestly couldn't give a flying one.

Especially seeing as I've only recently started liking the Manics to begin with, it would be incredibly stuck up of me to decline a girl purely because of her dislike for them (or any other band that I like, for that matter. Hell, my ex was an Adam Lambert fan.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
Isn't Kate Humble just really irritating? Her laugh and the way she speaks like she's addressing mentally disabled foreign students gets on my pecs.
Survival Tip: A shark will only attack you if you're wet.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItNeverEnds View Post
Hell, my ex was an Adam Lambert fan.
My roommate's ex left him for Adam Lambert. True story. XD /off-topic/
Old 06-11-2010, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
My roommate's ex left him for Adam Lambert. True story. XD /off-topic/
Oh. Good. God.

Quote:
Isn't Kate Humble just really irritating? Her laugh and the way she speaks like she's addressing mentally disabled foreign students gets on my pecs.
Old 06-11-2010, 21:32
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItNeverEnds View Post
Oh. Good. God.
Who the fuck is Adam Lambert?

*can't be bothered to Google it*
Old 06-11-2010, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
Who the fuck is Adam Lambert?

*can't be bothered to Google it*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Lambert

There you go mate. I know, I haven't explained anything, but hopefully wiki would have managed to avoid lying in this article.

Quote: