Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-08-2020, 15:22
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
If he drops down one place every day he'll still make top 10 on Sunday. Could Sea Girls fuck off please..these pesky new bands don't know their place
Pesky new bands on a major label no doubt!
My hearing is better! My hearing has improved! Oh it's one of those good days. So naturally, caing (cane-ing, some sort of drug binge terminology m'lud) the album.
Pinochet was a bastard. What happened to Jara and tens of thousands of others were atrocities. Henry Kissinger was due to stand trail for his involvement but the trial was scheduled on September the eleventh, two thousand and one. So obviously got abandoned.

Anyway, with all that in mind... AITA (am I the asshole?) for going "THEY SAID THE NAME OF THE ALBUM TITLE!!" when the line about Even In Exile (just said as I typed that!) pops up in The Boy From The Plantation?
And not skipped once. From 6 onwards, the music is a lot more not upbeat, but grander than I thought the album would be.
Old 19-08-2020, 15:30
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Anyway, with all that in mind... AITA (am I the asshole?) for going "THEY SAID THE NAME OF THE ALBUM TITLE!!" when the line about Even In Exile (just said as I typed that!) pops up in The Boy From The Plantation?
On all the demos that were released, the only lyric across the five songs that was changed was the "Even In Exile" line from Plantation. Originally it was "Even though I died". Imagine if that was the album title!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 19-08-2020, 15:49
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
On all the demos that were released, the only lyric across the five songs that was changed was the "Even In Exile" line from Plantation. Originally it was "Even though I died". Imagine if that was the album title!

And I even felt guilty for making a post going "And then he got killlllwed". That levels things a bit. See, for all the time James has known Patrick, imagine if this was made in 1999?!
I really should look at rewriting my own stuff. But then see, I'd never put those four words together.

It's still a great album!
Old 19-08-2020, 16:02
I live to fall asleep

Come on, James, top 5!!! Anyone who hasn't bought their copy yet do so right now!
As for these podcasts what are they, and how does one listen to whatever they are?
Old 19-08-2020, 16:15
I live to fall asleep

So I think the album is pretty great. It's just so uplifting to hear an album like this in these pretty bleak times. I'm hoping the new Doves record will have a similar effect when it comes out next month.

Recuerda I think is my favourite track at the moment. I just love the rush that comes in when the guitar/drums kick-in. Without Knowing The End is fun and feels like the most Manicsy track on the album.

Only disappointment is that I don't really like the album version of FTHOV. I think we were spoiled by the solo acoustic version he did for Absolute as it showed a real tenderness to the song. It's a shame that a lot of that has been stripped out on the album version.
Old 19-08-2020, 16:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
As for these podcasts what are they, and how does one listen to whatever they are?
You can listen in a variety of ways from various platforms - have a look here:
https://audioboom.com/channels/5029360

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 19-08-2020, 16:37
Freed from the century

Is there a stock problem with this? Just looked on Amazon and they have 1 CD left in stock and no black vinyl (says ships in 2-4 weeks)!!!
Old 19-08-2020, 17:16
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
Is there a stock problem with this? Just looked on Amazon and they have 1 CD left in stock and no black vinyl (says ships in 2-4 weeks)!!!
HMV.com has copies and so do the Indies
Old 19-08-2020, 18:35
Knowlede Is Power

This is the most incredible music JDB has ever produced. He's developed so much as a musician, and he seems utterly unleashed on this album. I absolutely fucking love it.
Old 19-08-2020, 18:45
Bored of being bored

https://t.co/TSIQpTLdis

Another podcast, with Rough Trade.
Old 19-08-2020, 18:51
Mr Msppedia

Just an absolutely stunning album. First album in a long long time that I've felt the need to listen to every day since release. If this is the result of not chasing writing 3 hit singles then I hope James continues that with the Manics, end game Preachers could be the most interesting period of the band musically.

Recuerda, Thirty Thousand Milk Bottles and Santiago Sunrise are my early favourites, but really there's not a bad song on there, such a beautiful record. Same with Patrick's words.

And the podcast has been wonderful, and again I hope the band keep that up for the next album given how many references and touch points they give us. If they'd done one for RIF it would've been fucking incredible. It's why no other band comes close to them for me, after all these years they're still keeping me informed, educated and entertained.
Old 19-08-2020, 19:03
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
https://t.co/TSIQpTLdis

Another podcast, with Rough Trade.
I try and listen to all the interviews with James but this one was a bit too much for me thanks to the interviewer's lack of warmth.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 19-08-2020, 21:20
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Pinochet was a bastard. What happened to Jara and tens of thousands of others were atrocities. Henry Kissinger was due to stand trail for his involvement but the trial was scheduled on September the eleventh, two thousand and one. So obviously got abandoned.
On trial? only in book form ( Christopher Hitchens)...if he had been due to be dragged up for war crimes in an international criminal court.... (which the US doesn't recognise...which is always a good excuse for not appearing)... on 9/11...there would be a whoooole shit pile of new conspiracy theories right there..

(Just looked up the book...there's a preface by Ariel Dorfman, exiled from Chile, who wrote the brilliant play Death & the Maiden....made into a brilliant film...directed now unfortunately by Polanski...but watch it anyway)
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 19-08-2020, 21:58
Winterlover

That new track on the pod is lovely. Some very weird breaks in it where it sounds like the mp3 is corrupted but i like the rest. I really wish we could legitimately get high quality downloads of this and atacama dust though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
Neil Tennant onced described TS as "The Margaret Thatcher of Pop".
Woah there... that comment seems to be entirely ignorant of her political awakening in the last 4 years. I mean if she's engaging with politics and getting her fans to vote out the GOP death cult for 2020 then that can only ever be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
I try and listen to all the interviews with James but this one was a bit too much for me thanks to the interviewer's lack of warmth.
Really? She sounded just as engaged as every other interviewer i've listened to with him
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 19-08-2020, 22:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Woah there... that comment seems to be entirely ignorant of her political awakening in the last 4 years. I mean if she's engaging with politics and getting her fans to vote out the GOP death cult for 2020 then that can only ever be a good thing.
His comment was more tongue in cheek about how she likes to take care of the economic side of things...re the whole spotify thing and something else she did that allowed artists to claim royalties owed....He's a fan from what I can remember.....he definitely didn't mean she would have loved nothing more than tea and scones with Pinochet....
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson