Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 18:54
I live to fall asleep

What is 'She' in 'She is suffering'.

Well, as stated above.

Is 'She' meant to be 'beauty'?

Thanks for thinking with me

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Old 09-05-2017, 19:07
Builder of routine

Think I read somewhere it was meant to be desire ?
Old 09-05-2017, 21:09
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Think I read somewhere it was meant to be desire ?
Very Schopenhauerian
Old 09-05-2017, 22:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think it could mean nature is suffering though not just a person, but might also be an animal or other forms of life. Perhaps Richey might also mean humans are more narcissistic though as one of the lesser sins of the bible.

Last edited by rosetree; 09-05-2017 at 22:28.
Old 10-05-2017, 00:18
Winterlover

Richey wrote that he (or rather she) referred to desire. The idea that only by ridding yourself of all desire can you find truth and peace. The Buddhist idea
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 10-05-2017, 08:06

though in religion does ridding desire from ones nature make truth with oneself? more than to attain peace. Perhaps nature is suffering in that sense.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
The listener.
Old 10-05-2017, 17:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
though in religion does ridding desire from ones nature make truth with oneself? more than to attain peace. Perhaps nature is suffering in that sense.
Maybe desire corrupts our nature? It's very influenced by William Blake's Songs of Innocence & Experience....especially The Sick Rose...if you're familiar? I was studying that back at the time so it appealed very much though I know it's not usually picked as a particular favourite ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
The listener.
Ha.

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

That perches in the soul
Old 10-05-2017, 21:03

[QUOTE=raven;2665446]Maybe desire corrupts our nature? It's very influenced by William Blake's Songs of Innocence & Experience....especially The Sick Rose...if you're familiar? I was studying that back at the time so it appealed very much though I know it's not usually picked as a particular favourite ....[QUOTE]

I think desire corrupts nature in positive and detrimental ways though possibly Richey was also connecting corruption with religion in THB. Rather than the point of gender and feminism in 'she is suffering' he outlines desire, vanity and corruption to nature, which seems a bit like William Blake's songs of Innocence and experience. They are also synonymous with psalms of suffering in the bible. U2 named their last album on the poems, which was criticised. I love that Richey's words have so many different ways to analyse, as I don't think there's one actual way of defining his songs.

Last edited by rosetree; 10-05-2017 at 21:09.
Old 10-05-2017, 21:12

I'd check this out on manics.nl but alas, the way of all flesh -- does anyone here remember who the quote on the us mix of She Is Suffering belonged to, who said it in the clip, and what it was

1) it is possible to achieve the aim without suffering
2) it is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering

??
Old 11-05-2017, 12:02
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
I'd check this out on manics.nl but alas, the way of all flesh -- does anyone here remember who the quote on the us mix of She Is Suffering belonged to, who said it in the clip, and what it was

1) it is possible to achieve the aim without suffering
2) it is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering

??
J. G. Bennett, teacher and interpreter of such mystical luminaries as G. I. Gurdjieff, P. D. Ouspensky, and the Nepalese Shivapuri Baba, emphasized the need for conscious, intentional suffering as a way to Enlightenment, and is noted for saying, "It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering." What's interesting is that he wishes to avoid "unnecessary suffering" and instead seek a controlled, more productive suffering..which is exactly what ascetics and monks have done for hundreds, if not thousands, of years..
Old 11-05-2017, 20:32
Winterlover

[QUOTE=rosetree;2665458][QUOTE=raven;2665446]Maybe desire corrupts our nature? It's very influenced by William Blake's Songs of Innocence & Experience....especially The Sick Rose...if you're familiar? I was studying that back at the time so it appealed very much though I know it's not usually picked as a particular favourite ....
Quote:

I think desire corrupts nature in positive and detrimental ways though possibly Richey was also connecting corruption with religion in THB. Rather than the point of gender and feminism in 'she is suffering' he outlines desire, vanity and corruption to nature, which seems a bit like William Blake's songs of Innocence and experience. They are also synonymous with psalms of suffering in the bible. U2 named their last album on the poems, which was criticised. I love that Richey's words have so many different ways to analyse, as I don't think there's one actual way of defining his songs.
Sure the more you think on it the more aspects and ideas it gives up

At heart I still feel is the Buddhist idea....indeed the idea central to many religions but an actual tenet of Buddhism that to desire is to suffer as more often than not our desires are not or cannot be sated and may stem from greed or hate or ignorance and so to be free from our desires is to be free from suffering to see our desires for what they are and let them go is to arrive at truth

Blake's poem is brought to mind especially in the line a flower attracting lust vice and sin...what is innocent....beauty or sex is corrupted in part by society or even the church's attitudes towards it....a recurring theme of Richey's seemed to be adulthood corrupting the innocence and curiosity and joy of childhood

The significance of desire being a she.....more scope for discussion though suffering is often seen as a feminine trait

That perches in the soul
Old 12-05-2017, 00:24

[QUOTE=raven;2665474][QUOTE=rosetree;2665458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Maybe desire corrupts our nature? It's very influenced by William Blake's Songs of Innocence & Experience....especially The Sick Rose...if you're familiar? I was studying that back at the time so it appealed very much though I know it's not usually picked as a particular favourite ....

Sure the more you think on it the more aspects and ideas it gives up

At heart I still feel is the Buddhist idea....indeed the idea central to many religions but an actual tenet of Buddhism that to desire is to suffer as more often than not our desires are not or cannot be sated and may stem from greed or hate or ignorance and so to be free from our desires is to be free from suffering to see our desires for what they are and let them go is to arrive at truth

Blake's poem is brought to mind especially in the line a flower attracting lust vice and sin...what is innocent....beauty or sex is corrupted in part by society or even the church's attitudes towards it....a recurring theme of Richey's seemed to be adulthood corrupting the innocence and curiosity and joy of childhood

The significance of desire being a she.....more scope for discussion though suffering is often seen as a feminine trait

I think Buddism seems a less harmful religion as it's concern with clearing the psyche, than forcing a belief. Though it's belief that desire is to suffer may apply in different levels. Though I meant desire interacts rather than corrupts nature in a positive way, like natural desires and need for natural source and places, uplifting the psyche that are not concerned with suffering.
Though if Buddism practice clears all of desire and puts something unfamiliar in place, it seems like corruption, even though the ideas are in clearing desire in greed and hate in society and where Richey draws the point to corruption of his innocence. It does seem that men turn to Buddism and become Monks more than women though, perhaps to repent more. It could also be a reason he says She is suffering because there is more to say on femininity aspects of suffering and need.

Last edited by rosetree; 12-05-2017 at 00:27.