Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-06-2015, 11:20
Winterlover

Enjoyed the gig, the feeling is definitely different from the old days, but it was still fun and very nostalgic. The Holy Bible was obviously the most brilliant part of the night; there was a nice venom to the performance. Hearing the 4 songs I'd never heard live before was super cool.

I did notice a few people who didn't get what was going on dotted throughout the venue. I guess if people just see the name Manic Street Preachers they might go to a show; but the show was advertised as the Holy Bible. I was a little perturbed to see James almost half apologise for it in the "thanks for getting through it" comment; that's what I came mostly to see! Wire was funny when he said "have the BBC listened to this fucking album?" referring to the broadcast at the weekend.

The Everlasting was interesting in the backing track form, although given that all that was missing was the drums, bass and that towering guitar solo, I think full band would have been the way to go. I thought when it started like that they might do a "walk on" style performance when they all came on at different times in the song.

The rest of the set was obviously a bit of pure nostalgia, Removables was cool and the obvious songs were nice to hear again. I noticed James had a bit of "equipment" on stage with his drinks, and looked like he was chewing one of those menthol singer sweets to help him, so maybe he has a cold coming on. However, compared to 4-5 years ago, he's missing bits of songs out, or singing in a lower register, so perhaps they need to look at playing some songs a step down to keep things ticking over.

Still, all in all it was really good fun to see the guys again; and nice to tick The Holy Bible box once and for all!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:41
Winterlover

Really loved Removables and Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll, truly cool to hear live at last.

The Intense Humming of Evil is still absolutely incredible live.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:45
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Really loved Removables and Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll, truly cool to hear live at last.

The Intense Humming of Evil is still absolutely incredible live.
Aye, you know all these conversations we have about dream setlists, can say when they last played this song or whatever, think this might happen, that definitely won't etc... Condemned To Rock N' Roll is one I thought would definitely never happen, but it has. Hats off to the lads.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:05
Winterlover

Controversial view but I really liked hearing Golden Platitudes again. They've thrown some interesting additions to the second sets since December: that one, Divine Youth, Running Out of Fantasy, Removables, Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll, 1985, Postcards from a Young Man. Everlasting to a backing track is a little bit weird but I do enjoy those strings. Wonder if we'll get anything unexpected tonight.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17
Stretched out in the sun

I loved Golden Platitudes in 2010 and in light of last month's election it makes sense to bring it back. Maybe throw that to the lions on here, does a song that hasn't been played for five years count as a rarity?

Everlasting I thought was a bit odd, it's one of my favourite singles but full band and acoustic without the backing track both work a lot better.

Still, amazing to have seen a 23 year old song that'd never been performed before this your. Maybe in 12 years we'll get Glasnost.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:24
Winterlover

Judging by how much they beefed up 1985, Solitude Sometimes Is and Nixon in recent years, I imagine they'd turn Glasnost into something like The Darkness.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:33
Stretched out in the sun

That'll do me. Hope we get a beefed up 30 Year War in time for the next election, that'd be well good.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Think a few people get tickets not realsing it was a 'Holy Bible' gig. Remember sitting in the seats for the Journal gig and the bloke next to us spent the first half fast asleep.
Think there will be a bit of this at Cardiff sadly. Was speaking to a mate on the weekend, who told me he was going, but didn't realise there would be an album played in full. Plus, he'd never listened to THB. Good luck mate.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:00
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
Think there will be a bit of this at Cardiff sadly. Was speaking to a mate on the weekend, who told me he was going, but didn't realise there would be an album played in full. Plus, he'd never listened to THB. Good luck mate.
This is what concerns me slightly about Cardiff; lots will just be going cos it's the Manics in a castle. Not sure what that will do for the atmosphere in the first half.

As for Wolves, enjoyed it although think the crowd were better in Edinburgh (but I was further to the left last night so crowds tend to be more subdued away from the middle, but people were still enjoying it round me). Removables was the highlight for me; if I hadn't heard the soundcheck it would have been a surprise!

Totally knackered now though; still in our hotel in Southampton, not sure when we're heading to the venue. The weather is shit again too which doesn't help!
Old 02-06-2015, 13:24
Winterlover

A colleague of mine is going to the Cardiff gig and she doesn't even like the Manics! She's going because her girlfriend is a big fan, she'll probably hate it.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Tiger View Post
Felt sorry for the ladies on the front who seemed to get squashed by a drunk Greg Davies-esque fuckwit towards the end.
It was quite rough towards the end, a woman next to me was airlifted over the barrier unconscious. Fun though! All the dickheads come out of hiding when they play the hits, happens every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieM View Post
I agree with the earlier comment that whilst THB sounded great last night, it missed something relative to manchester last december (and London too). I can't quite put my finger on it, but I kept getting the vibe that they were going through the motions more than they were last year with it (which to be fair is almost definitiely true, given they've played it a lot now). Don't get me wrong, it was still great, and I'm pretty sure that anyone who hadn't seen it live before would have absolutely loved it. I wonder how other people felt who were lucky enough to see it last year also?
I agree, it didn't feel as intense, but I don't know if that's because I saw it at the Manchester dates. It seemed more clinical this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Another great night only slightly tarnished by some dickhead who decided to barge into Chloe and start on her. Ended up telling me to "control your woman", I know they're all over the place so it shouldn't surprise me at all but it does kinda surprise me to come across aggressive, sexist knuckle draggers at Manics gigs.
Fuck sake. Second set I take it? A bloke grabbed my arse towards the end so I twisted his fingers round. What makes these idiots think they can behave like that? Drunken macho men usually, scumbags.

If the man with the broken fingers is reading this, I hope the pain caused you to veer into a ditch on the way home. Do you feel emasculated being overpowered by a five foot woman? You should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
God he's either going to be blown away by it or be bored shitless.

I thought the gig was great, Condemned and Removables were good, I love The Everlasting but agree that the backing track should go. It'd be nice if more of the second set was aimed at the fans coming for THB, not a greatest hits set, so maybe YLA, You Stole The Sun, Tolerate etc dropped for JFPL tracks (which would sit well next to THB), more from GT, Futurology etc. I'm sick of the yobs that turn up and drink themselves stupid through the songs they don't know then behave like bored chimps when the singles are played.

Wolves is a brilliant venue, love the place itself and there''s always a great queueing atmosphere, even with the torrential rain. On the way in, those at our door with printed tickets were shipped off to one side while the bouncers brought a new scanner so we were delayed there, that was ridiculous. Otherwise a great experience. The sound there is always impressive.

Sean was on fire! I noticed his drumming more last night than I ever have, especially during Condemned. James looks very slim, must be with his training. Nick mentioned the EMG20 tour so fingers crossed!

Nice to see people again and meet new friends. And of course Finn and Dave with their delivery of snacks to the queue - cheered everyone up after the downpour.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:28
I live to fall asleep

I just hope the gigs won't be kind of ruined a bit by people (and people all drunk up) not knowing any of the Holy Bible stuff and just talking loudly over the top throughout songs, there is nothing more annoying when at a concert when this happens when you're trying to enjoy the music.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:32
Winterlover

Fucking hell, hope you were okay Beej, detest those types. Such a shame it's still a concern and worry for many.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:58
Winterlover

Actually; just another random one....... who was down the front shouting "1-2-3-4" really loudly before every chorus?
Old 02-06-2015, 17:29
Under neon loneliness

I ended up on the balcony, and found myself watching the crowd more than the band, despite the fact that I had a truly excellent view of James (who sewed him into those trousers, btw?). You're all amazing, unless you were one of the idiots moshing so hard you crushed the people in the first three rows.
Does anyone know if the fan who was pulled out unconscious is OK?
Chloe, good for you I've been assaulted on the barrier many times, by brain dead men and boys who think it's their rightful place and try to remove me.

Anyway, that aside ... bloody hell, I LOVE the Manics.