Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: 1 = worst, 10 = best
10 3 2.42%
9 17 13.71%
8 42 33.87%
7 35 28.23%
6 6 4.84%
5 5 4.03%
4 5 4.03%
3 3 2.42%
2 3 2.42%
1 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2013, 22:33
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barni View Post
The worst album the band have released.

This is not the kind of record the band should be releasing in the current political climate. The band should be louder and angrier not tired and defeatist.

If it wasn't for the loyalty I have for the band over many years, I would be donating my copy to the local charity shop. Instead it will go on my shelf and gather dust.
The band making music they think they need to make, instead of music that feels right, results in albums likes Postcards. Forced and unpleasant.

I only got it a couple of days ago and have only listened to it 5 or 6 times so far, but i think it's great. It's got a lot of soul to it. I really like the guest vocals spread out over the album. And unlike some previous guest vox - they add a lot to the songs and are not just on it for the sake of it.

I was more looking forward to this ''European sounding album'', but this is really excellent stuff. A great return to form. Wish I'd gone to see them now. I've gone into manics mode a couple of weeks too late unfortunately.
Old 03-10-2013, 22:37
Freed from the century

I just can't understand it when people say, 'I listened to it once and it's shit so I'm never listening to it again' which I've seen a few times time on this forum and elsewhere. Even worse there's someone in this thread feels qualified to call it a terrible album based on just skipping through the brief snippets on Amazon. I think there are only two albums in my life that I remember adoring after only one listen, Electric Warrior by T.Rex and Appetite For Destruction, the very best albums you have to invest time in surely? Having said that I'm at the other end of the extreme-still trying to love Lifeblood.
Old 07-10-2013, 19:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

Trying to rate the albums in order is really hard for me it changes all the time, Ill have a think and put them in order of what I listen to the most.

Holy bible
Lifeblood
Gold against the soul
Journal for plague lovers
Generation terrorists
Everything must go
This is my truth tell me yours
Rewind the film
Postcards from a young man
Know your enemy
Send away the tigers
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 17-10-2013, 17:32

Location: The Valleys and Essex (but not at the same time. Obviously)
Well, it's nowhere near as shit as Lifeblood, but just having James do his thing acoustically seems like a neo-comedic punishment. This is especially noticeable in AFaLC, where he really, desperately wants to rock out, but his equipment won't let him.

When I heard the track 'Rewind The Film' I immediately thought the record was going to be mindnumbingly dire - I thought it could be EVEN WORSE than Lifeblood - so I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was reasonably OK, sort of. On a par with PFAYM, mind.

Old 18-10-2013, 11:18

I'm quite disappointed with RTF but I've had the Lifeblood CD in the car for ages and have played it very many times over the past several weeks.

It's reminded me that it's actually a very good album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenationsmoralsuicide View Post
Well, it's nowhere near as shit as Lifeblood, but just having James do his thing acoustically seems like a neo-comedic punishment. This is especially noticeable in AFaLC, where he really, desperately wants to rock out, but his equipment won't let him.

When I heard the track 'Rewind The Film' I immediately thought the record was going to be mindnumbingly dire - I thought it could be EVEN WORSE than Lifeblood - so I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was reasonably OK, sort of. On a par with PFAYM, mind.

Old 30-10-2013, 23:29
I live to fall asleep

I've got the new album and listened to it a few times. There's a few nice songs on there, I love SMTW and the latest single is nice, but there's nothing really there that interests me too much. I'm sad to say it's just not a very good album. It's not bad, just very average in my opinion. I hope the next album will be upbeat, rocking and catchy.
Old 31-10-2013, 08:42
Under neon loneliness

I'll be honest, whilst it was a grower initially it's faded a bit for me in recent weeks. There's some songs I'm glad they've released on there but it's a bit too patchy.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:23
Doors slowly closing

Nothings changed...still love it as much as i did originally. A true return to form, as much as i never thought i'd ever say that again. I was originally looking forward to Futureology but i'm not so sure now, it might be a letdown after such a brilliant album. If they can pull a double whammy, i'll literally worship them.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barni View Post
The worst album the band have released.

This is not the kind of record the band should be releasing in the current political climate. The band should be louder and angrier not tired and defeatist.

If it wasn't for the loyalty I have for the band over many years, I would be donating my copy to the local charity shop. Instead it will go on my shelf and gather dust.
Worse than Lifeblood, KYE and Postcards are you sure?!
Old 09-11-2013, 14:26
Bored of being bored

lifeblood's fantastic.
Old 11-11-2013, 16:08
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
I just can't understand it when people say, 'I listened to it once and it's shit so I'm never listening to it again' which I've seen a few times time on this forum and elsewhere. Even worse there's someone in this thread feels qualified to call it a terrible album based on just skipping through the brief snippets on Amazon. I think there are only two albums in my life that I remember adoring after only one listen, Electric Warrior by T.Rex and Appetite For Destruction, the very best albums you have to invest time in surely? Having said that I'm at the other end of the extreme-still trying to love Lifeblood.
Loving the Withnail quote!
Old 12-11-2013, 00:12
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenationsmoralsuicide View Post
Isn't it James himself deciding on the musical compositions of their songs? I mean, of course, he isn't the only one writing music, but I don't think he had to fight with Sean (whereas Sean won and so James had to play against his will) or any of the producers and such. That is not how they sound on the interviews and that isn't how the albums itself sounds either....

And btw, I think it is a much more "rocking out" out album than expected, considering it being acoustic. Which is maybe why you got such an impression.

But anyway, I said it once and I'll say it again. Still sounds kinda like a b-sides compilation album. Well, not completely, but kind of. I recall someone else besides me thought the same and suggested humorously that the album should be called "Rewind the B-Sides". I think that would be the cool name for a new Lipstick Traces, actually, to think of it....