Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 15:53
Freed from the century

Like people have said there's an album in there somewhere - Found That Soul and Intravenous Agnostic are both brilliant and, controversial as this may be, but Wattsville Blues and Miss Europa Disco Dancer are two of the better songs on it. The problem is, there's no cohesive flow to it. Half the songs just seem lazily written and I've never been quite sure what they were setting out to achieve when they wrote the album. Were they wanting to do something a bit more raw than TIMTTMY and EMG, were they wanting to still do something poppy, or were they wanting to just do what they want and subvert people's expectations of them?

It's really odd how their career took quite a nosedive when this album came out, when Oasis have put out some albums that were even more critically panned and the general consenus was that they too were past their best at the turn of the millennium, yet they were still headlining festivals and selling out arenas and stadiums towards the end of their tenure. The Manics went from headlining Glastonbury to accepting support slots at festivals within the space of a few years.

But then the Manics' rejuvenation with SATT and then JFPL (there was quite a lot of hype surrounding the band around 2007-09) was stopped dead in its tracks with the awful PFAYM. I think that album did as much damage as KYE did.
Old 04-04-2020, 21:10
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCK View Post
Like people have said there's an album in there somewhere - Found That Soul and Intravenous Agnostic are both brilliant and, controversial as this may be, but Wattsville Blues and Miss Europa Disco Dancer are two of the better songs on it. The problem is, there's no cohesive flow to it. Half the songs just seem lazily written and I've never been quite sure what they were setting out to achieve when they wrote the album. Were they wanting to do something a bit more raw than TIMTTMY and EMG, were they wanting to still do something poppy, or were they wanting to just do what they want and subvert people's expectations of them?
I seem to remember that the intention with KYE was to go against the previous two albums, EMG and TIMTTMY, because the band felt they had become too radio-friendly, too accessible, that they had lost their punk edge, which they wanted to return to. They had become their own enemy, hence the title of the album.

"Doubts are crueler than the worst of truths"

Toronto, Canada - September 11, 1999 / London, England - April 18, 2005 / London, England - April 19, 2005 / Toronto, Canada - October 4, 2009 / Philadelphia, PA, USA - October 6, 2009
Old 04-04-2020, 22:10
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
The early 00s was the golden age of band websites in my opinion. I miss the old internet.
To paraphrase someone on twitter - i'm old enough to remember when the internet didn't consist of five giant websites each sharing screenshots from the other four.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCK View Post
Think the feeling at the time was that it had become a bit too big and overblown (certainly from Wire) and they wanted to do something a bit more raw. It has become clear over the years, however, that commercial success is important to them and I think the somewhat confused nature of KYE reflects the dilemma they were going through at that time.