Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-03-2015, 17:43
Knowlede Is Power

Gig alone?

Hiya guys.

This sounds very silly/naive but I'm still on the fence about Edinburgh...I know it sounds silly but it's really not that far off so I'm planning. And it's my first Manics gig.

I'm going to be alone because everyone I know loathes the manics and they're totally refusing to come with me...already have all my train tickets and hotel booked too, so I can't exactly sell my ticket.

I get a bit anxious about stuff, which sucks. I was thinking of swapping for a seated ticket, but whenever I don't stand, I always wish I was - so I said 'fuck it' and got standing. Anyone else going alone? Any tips?

Thanks

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 31-03-2015, 17:55
I live to fall asleep

At Wolves 2009 I was on my own in the standing area, feeling a bit awkward. Then I saw another bloke leaning against a pillar reading a book (and a massive, fat novel at that). This I thought was a brilliant idea, and completely put to rest any doubts about being there alone.

And once the boys are on you're too busy to chat anyway!
Old 31-03-2015, 18:17
Knowlede Is Power

That guy sounds pretty fucking cool. I wish I had the confidence to do what I wanted and not worry about people looking at me!

(don't be shy)
Old 31-03-2015, 19:22
Born to end

I was alone at the Glasgow and first Manchester gigs in December for the first round of THB20. I was a bit apprehensive, I hadn't been to either city before, and I was travelling alone from abroad anyway. I had the most amazing time, people before the gigs were very friendly if I asked something, and afterwards I even ended up in the same pub and got to talk with some other fans, not to mention the gigs were the best ones of my life.

I have the same situation that none of my friends are into the Manics, and since the boys aren't coming to Finland for these gigs in late May / early June I decided to go alone again. So you won't be the only one there alone - we can all be alone together! And believe me, once the boys come on you won't notice that you're alone anyway I have never felt such unity in a crowd as I have on Manics' gigs.
Old 31-03-2015, 21:00
A self-made vacuum

I've been by myself a few times. My advice is to get talking to someone in the queue, people are generally friendly.

There was a girl in front of me for the Camden Roundhouse gig who was by herself too. She was wearing a really cool manics top so I told her I liked it and we got chatting and ended up standing with her during the gig, at least until the manics came on when we got separated.

Once the gig starts, it doesn't matter anyway and at least being by yourself gives you a bit more freedom about where you stand and you don't need to worry about getting separated.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 31-03-2015, 22:07
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
Hiya guys.

This sounds very silly/naive but I'm still on the fence about Edinburgh...I know it sounds silly but it's really not that far off so I'm planning. And it's my first Manics gig.

I'm going to be alone because everyone I know loathes the manics and they're totally refusing to come with me...already have all my train tickets and hotel booked too, so I can't exactly sell my ticket.

I get a bit anxious about stuff, which sucks. I was thinking of swapping for a seated ticket, but whenever I don't stand, I always wish I was - so I said 'fuck it' and got standing. Anyone else going alone? Any tips?

Thanks
Someone after my own heart. Bar one gig, I've gone to most gigs on my own. Well, if you queue, you'll always find someone to talk to unless you're the biggest introvert in the world. However in any case, once the band walk on stage, any prior tedium in waiting disappears . Since it's the THB anniversary, it will be worth the effort judging from the two THB gigs I've been too.

I've never regretted going to a Manics gig in ten years....

Advice:

1. Bring a book.
2. Show up at doors opening, you'll only be a few rows back in any case. Edinburgh's a beautiful city, if you haven't been you're time is better spent discovering it rather than being stuck in a queue.

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 31-03-2015 at 22:11.
Old 31-03-2015, 23:21
Knowlede Is Power

I'll be alone in Cardiff too in June. Also my first time in the city. I'll be bringing a book so if I don't get chatting to people I've something to do :-)

The general gist of this seems to be that going to Manics gigs alone is in no way uncommon so don't worry about what people think. There is no reason to think that even if they notice they will be thinking anything negative about it
Old 01-04-2015, 16:05
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless_Patsy View Post
I was alone at the Glasgow and first Manchester gigs in December for the first round of THB20. I was a bit apprehensive, I hadn't been to either city before, and I was travelling alone from abroad anyway. I had the most amazing time, people before the gigs were very friendly if I asked something, and afterwards I even ended up in the same pub and got to talk with some other fans, not to mention the gigs were the best ones of my life.

I have the same situation that none of my friends are into the Manics, and since the boys aren't coming to Finland for these gigs in late May / early June I decided to go alone again. So you won't be the only one there alone - we can all be alone together! And believe me, once the boys come on you won't notice that you're alone anyway I have never felt such unity in a crowd as I have on Manics' gigs.
That's so good to hear. Most of the crowds I've been in, people haven't been too friendly at all. I'm getting excited now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Troll View Post
I've been by myself a few times. My advice is to get talking to someone in the queue, people are generally friendly.

There was a girl in front of me for the Camden Roundhouse gig who was by herself too. She was wearing a really cool manics top so I told her I liked it and we got chatting and ended up standing with her during the gig, at least until the manics came on when we got separated.

Once the gig starts, it doesn't matter anyway and at least being by yourself gives you a bit more freedom about where you stand and you don't need to worry about getting separated.
So people in the queue are usually friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Someone after my own heart. Bar one gig, I've gone to most gigs on my own. Well, if you queue, you'll always find someone to talk to unless you're the biggest introvert in the world. However in any case, once the band walk on stage, any prior tedium in waiting disappears . Since it's the THB anniversary, it will be worth the effort judging from the two THB gigs I've been too.

I've never regretted going to a Manics gig in ten years....

Advice:

1. Bring a book.
2. Show up at doors opening, you'll only be a few rows back in any case. Edinburgh's a beautiful city, if you haven't been you're time is better spent discovering it rather than being stuck in a queue.
I shall do that!! I think wanting to see the boys so badly sort of overrides my fears a little bit. I love Edinburgh, so I will probably make a day of it and do some solo-sightseeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
I'll be alone in Cardiff too in June. Also my first time in the city. I'll be bringing a book so if I don't get chatting to people I've something to do :-)

The general gist of this seems to be that going to Manics gigs alone is in no way uncommon so don't worry about what people think. There is no reason to think that even if they notice they will be thinking anything negative about it
I guess the most people will think is 'why's she so young and on her own' or something. Nothing too bad, I need to loosen up

Thanks everyone!! x

(don't be shy)
Old 01-04-2015, 16:54
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
That's so good to hear. Most of the crowds I've been in, people haven't been too friendly at all. I'm getting excited now

So people in the queue are usually friendly?

I shall do that!! I think wanting to see the boys so badly sort of overrides my fears a little bit. I love Edinburgh, so I will probably make a day of it and do some solo-sightseeing.

I guess the most people will think is 'why's she so young and on her own' or something. Nothing too bad, I need to loosen up

Thanks everyone!! x
Yeah, I've always found people to be friendly when I talk to them tbh, although I usually only chat to people I recognise off here, the Camden gig was the first time I've just chatted to complete randomers! If they're by themselves as well then they might also be a bit nervous and happy to have someone to chat to.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 01-04-2015, 19:35
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I'm doing this alone as well.

Old 01-04-2015, 23:49
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I did the Gig alone as well. Didn't set out to meet anyone, but did at the end.
Didn't expect to make new friends either, it was turn up, see band, leave!
Having fun on your own isn't the end of the world.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40
Born to end

I have seen the Manics five times - I have never gone with anyone. I am dragging some friends to shows in the US later this month.

I went to all three shows at the Roundhouse back in December and had an amazing time.

Usually I would never go to an after show thing on my own (I am way too shy), but I went to the Manic Street Mania parties and had an amazing time. Everyone was so nice. Then again they were shocked that someone form the States flew over from just to see the Manics.

Go to Edinburgh - and then go to the Manic Street Mania party after. I'll be there!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:54
Knowlede Is Power

Thanks for all the replies,guys. I feel tonnes more comfortable about it now Hope to see some of you there!!x

(don't be shy)
Old 02-04-2015, 15:20
Born to end

Just to add in, I've been to many many Manics gigs on my own, and you'll be fine. If nothing else it means you're free to move around the venue as you wish, rather than worrying where your friends are. So you can get down the front if you want to, but then move further back later on.

I'm going to the New York and Boston gigs on my own, and really looking forward to that!
Old 02-04-2015, 15:41
Winterlover

I have also been to a couple of Manics gigs alone. A few times I have met up with folk off here prior to the gig as well, which is an alternative. In my experience they have been nothing but lovely!