Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 22:21
Administrator

Something singable is needed in cardiff, so he might keep the everlasting I would guess. But definitely, let's do all three!
Old 01-06-2015, 22:40
Stretched out in the sun

Just got home from Wolvo. An absolutely amazing performance from the lads, I can't believe how blown away I was by the THB material but they did it justice and then some. I don't think that I have ever heard "Faster" sound as intense as it did tonight and finally hearing "The Intense Humming Of Evil" live was quite an experience! Then in the second half I not only got my favourite GT song, "Condemned To Rock N Roll", but also my favourite EMG song, "Removables" - so I am a very, very happy FMF right now

I know that others have been to several dates on the tour back in the winter and will be going to others this week. But I'm actually very glad that this is the only time I will ever hear THB live, in full, just the three Manics, in a very special venue. It makes tonight's gig a once in a lifetime experience for me and I will treasure it.
Old 01-06-2015, 22:43
Builder of routine

that was mental..

Lovely to meet you finally Gutless...
Old 01-06-2015, 23:06
Doors slowly closing

No complaints over here.
Old 01-06-2015, 23:30
Builder of routine

After 23 years they absolutely nailed Condemned, it was a masterpiece (unlike Edinburgh). Great show.
Old 01-06-2015, 23:48
Born to end

Top show but for me THB set wasn't as good as Manchester last year. Perhaps it was because it was the second time I've seen it or because I was in the strangely apathetic seats where I bellowed out every word while quite a few others sat quietly, seemingly not knowing any songs and politely applauding at the end of each song. That took a while to get used to. Highlights of THB set were a gorgeous This is Yesterday and a vicious Die in the Summertime.

The second set was glorious. I'm in the minority and love Your Love is not alone but the highlight was Condemned to Rock and Roll. Fuck me it was worth the entrance money alone. It sounded like the song that Guns n Roses never wrote and boy did Sean hammer his drums during that. Incredible.
Old 02-06-2015, 00:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

Fucking amazing gig. CTRNR and Removables particular highlights. Sean's drumming had a brilliant machine gun sound at times and James was dazzling as ever with his playing. How does he do it? That really felt like a gig for true Manics fans. Felt sorry for the ladies on the front who seemed to get squashed by a drunk Greg Davies-esque fuckwit towards the end. I just hope they do a true rarities/B-sides mini-tour in the future.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:41
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smugsy View Post
Top show but for me THB set wasn't as good as Manchester last year. Perhaps it was because it was the second time I've seen it or because I was in the strangely apathetic seats where I bellowed out every word while quite a few others sat quietly, seemingly not knowing any songs and politely applauding at the end of each song. That took a while to get used to. Highlights of THB set were a gorgeous This is Yesterday and a vicious Die in the Summertime.

The second set was glorious. I'm in the minority and love Your Love is not alone but the highlight was Condemned to Rock and Roll. Fuck me it was worth the entrance money alone. It sounded like the song that Guns n Roses never wrote and boy did Sean hammer his drums during that. Incredible.
Think a few people get tickets not realsing it was a 'Holy Bible' gig. Remember sitting in the seats for the Journal gig and the bloke next to us spent the first half fast asleep.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:55
Builder of routine

Maybe they just don't know the words to everything like me down the front
Old 02-06-2015, 07:46
Freed from the century

Ooh Removables. Nice. Hoping Condemned sticks around for Cardiff if it's getting better each play
Old 02-06-2015, 08:18
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Think a few people get tickets not realsing it was a 'Holy Bible' gig. Remember sitting in the seats for the Journal gig and the bloke next to us spent the first half fast asleep.
I remember reading on here about similar reactions at the first night in Glasgow last year, I'm dreading seeing similar people turn up at Cardiff Castle, to be honest. A bunch of pissed up rugger buggers shouting out for "You Stole the Sun From My Heart" can really spoil a gig for you.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48
I live to fall asleep

After reading reports of James doing The Everlasting to a backing track I hope they don't keep playing it like this, it seems like a bit of a cop out. If he's doing the full length of the song then get the full band playing it so we can hear that amazing guitar solo! Hopefully this will change before the gig is filmed for the Cardiff gig or they decide to play something else. Someone needs to tell them face to face.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01
Freed from the century

I must be the only one that actually really likes this version of the Everlasting. Love the song anyways, and I think the backing track just improves the sound no end (relative to just James and an acoustic guitar).

Last night's gig was great. Condemned to rock and roll was a real treat, I genuinely never thought they would play this song in full live, and the drumming in particular sounded awesome - for the guitar players amongst you, I did wonder why James was playing it in standard tuning though (obviously for ease, but I think that does affect the sound).

Removeables was a big surprise (to everyone who didn't hear the soundcheck clearly!). I've heard them play it live before, but James really seemed to throw himself into it much more so this time and I'm pretty sure that EMG20 will happen next year. If it does, I for one would like a different set up to the holy bible gigs - why not play the full album integrated into the setlist during the gig, but not in full one after another at the start?

I agree with the earlier comment that whilst THB sounded great last night, it missed something relative to manchester last december (and London too). I can't quite put my finger on it, but I kept getting the vibe that they were going through the motions more than they were last year with it (which to be fair is almost definitiely true, given they've played it a lot now). Don't get me wrong, it was still great, and I'm pretty sure that anyone who hadn't seen it live before would have absolutely loved it. I wonder how other people felt who were lucky enough to see it last year also?

Having said that, I thought If White America, Revol and PCP rocked like crazy. 4st 7lb was deeply upsetting (I was watching Nicky throughout the song, he looked so sad bless him). And intense humming of evil was as haunting as ever.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. Wolves Civic never disappoints.

I -------Just-------Opened-------My-------Eyes
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
I love it when that kinda things happens, it's not like it's a secret. Think it was 2009 when I saw Lou Reed at Royal Festival Hall, the gig had been billed as Metal Machine Trio, a night of experimental noise. Clearly stated on all the tickets, posters, in the venue brochures, on the ticket sites etc that that was what it was gonna be. And people still turned up seemingly expecting Perfect Day. What did they think, Lou Reed of all people would be bluffing? Nah, mate.

Fantastic performance again, obvious highlights being Condemned To Rock N' Roll and Removables. James threw me off a bit playing Walk Me To The Bridge on his Gibson, don't think I've seen that before, usually that weird red thing?

Another great night only slightly tarnished by some dickhead who decided to barge into Chloe and start on her. Ended up telling me to "control your woman", I know they're all over the place so it shouldn't surprise me at all but it does kinda surprise me to come across aggressive, sexist knuckle draggers at Manics gigs.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22
Builder of routine

The everlasting sounded better at wolves