Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 08:10
Freed from the century

Oh yeah, and there is one vrrreeee noise from the original near the end.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04
Born to end

Shhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Whisper it but Alex Silva doesn't seem to be all that as a producer. The US MIX of THB pretty much rendered his original mix obsolete in my household.
Whisper it but DK doesn't know the difference between a mixer and a producer.
Silva just did THB and the last album and the next - have some respect!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:37
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkness View Post
Whisper it but DK doesn't know the difference between a mixer and a producer.
Silva just did THB and the last album and the next - have some respect!
With all due respect I'm afraid I'm going to have to invalidate your correction on the basis of me never admitting to being wrong.
Old 27-06-2014, 18:25
Bored of being bored

The eins remix is like the zwei remix but does have a bit of JDB on it
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
The eins remix is like the zwei remix but does have a bit of JDB on it
I'll just add a little more to that statement to make it sound better if that's ok?

The eins remix is like the zwei remix but does have a bit more shit in it
Old 01-07-2014, 19:49
Knowlede Is Power

I've noticed a few different translations of the German verse around so I asked my German flatmate's opinion on how she would translate it and this is what she came up with for anyone interested:

Ghosts like misplaced sleep
Time that was left behind
I run further in order to escape
I run away further from my life

I find it interesting that all the translations are slightly different. All the ones I've seen are pretty much the same but have slightly differing connotations and tenses etc.
Old 06-07-2014, 18:24
Under neon loneliness

I waited to give it a few more listens in proper recorded format to give an opinion, but... it's a nice idea chronically hamstrung by two elements, the lamentably pedestrian percussion (would a single skipping beat kill you Sean?) and the crushingly poor lyrics.

Seriously... in what reality is "European dreams/European screams" a good enough couplet to deserve barking out as part of a chorus? Is this really by the same 45 year old man who's made writing lyrics his business for the last 25 years, who wrote 30 Year War a little while back?

Nina Hoss sounds fucking amazing, the music beyond the percussion is good. But with lyrics as cheap and weak (there's another one for you Wire) as these, it falls totally flat for me.
Old 06-07-2014, 18:44
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Seriously... in what reality is "European dreams/European screams" a good enough couplet to deserve barking out as part of a chorus? Is this really by the same 45 year old man who's made writing lyrics his business for the last 25 years, who wrote 30 Year War a little while back?
Aside from the occasional introspective lyric that hits home, I've long-since given up being interesting in Manics lyrics. When I got into their early material, it sent me rushing to novels and history, and being creative. Now though, that whole thing about the Manics inspiring their fans to go out and learn everything and anything seems like a teenage phase for me. I only learn the lyrics to sing along at gigs, which saddens me a little. A song about German roads? Can't say I find it edifying in any way.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:59
Bored of being bored

Using Google Speak brought up some interesting results in the search engine. Everytime I got a different random phrase, maybe Nicky gets his lyrics this way?

5 random phrases

Ever get that snitch
Hello bear gets jerk me
Celebrity get dirt remix
Who opened get dirt me
Liverpool kits direct me
Old 12-07-2014, 09:55
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalScarecrow View Post
Aside from the occasional introspective lyric that hits home, I've long-since given up being interesting in Manics lyrics. When I got into their early material, it sent me rushing to novels and history, and being creative. Now though, that whole thing about the Manics inspiring their fans to go out and learn everything and anything seems like a teenage phase for me. I only learn the lyrics to sing along at gigs, which saddens me a little. A song about German roads? Can't say I find it edifying in any way.
As a soon to be 35 year old, futurology has inspired me more to take a bigger interest in art and Europe so it still works.
Old 12-07-2014, 14:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I think it's a great line, and don't know why anyone would pick on that as being some kind of demonstration they think the lyrics are poor. I think that line ties in with all sorts of other things in both the song and the album, from the general optimism they've talked about, to concerns of modern art, artists, war, the city, the european project… to name bit a few.

So to answer your question, I think it exists in the reality of the album's themes and motifs in such a way that it's a fine, distilled expression of both the song and album's preoccupations.

But if you don't like it fair enough *shrugs*.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---