Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-07-2013, 16:32
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I think its summery and upbeat. Very un Manic like but sounds good sat in the sunshine with a glass of vino. Looking forward to seeing them and everyone else.

Old 22-07-2013, 16:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

I like it! Played it through 2 or 3 times now. If I had to pick a little, I like the sound of the brass in it, but one of my initial feelings on the first play through was it got overwhelming at points, but then I didn't feel like it detracted the song in any way

If nothing else, and to echo similar sentiments in the thread, it really leaves me very intrigued and curious how the whole 'RTF' album, as an album will sound and play together. Definitely more "pop" than 'Rewind The Film', but then again two very different sound tracks, fomr each other and from the Manics in general.
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18
Old 22-07-2013, 16:53

the two songs so far....... make my heart swell, i love them, i truly fucking do! so glad, i was thinking it was time for them to hang up jackets (and boas) but now.............. i love this new manics era. makes me feel old and nostalgic....... in a good way. very proud of them.
Old 22-07-2013, 17:32
Winterlover

heard once (and will only listen again to the whole album once it's leaked )) )

well...

in comparison to the first singles:
worse than:
Stay Beautiful
Despair
Faster
Design
Tolerate
Found That Soul
Nixon

better than:
It's not War

dunno:
So Why So Sad
Your Love Alone

so it's not that bad for a band that peaked in middle 90s
Old 22-07-2013, 17:45
An imitation of dignity

I'm about ten listens in now, and I'm a very big fan of this. I think the two songs we've heard so far just reinforce the Manics' willingness to change quite often, which for me personally is one of the things I love most about the band. You know that when a new album comes along it simply isn't going to sound like the previous one, even if there are links between records (as there apparently are between TIMT and Rewind the Film).

It's good to have James back at the forefront after surrendering most of the limelight to the (very good) Mr. Hawley. I also really like the rephrased Cardigans lyric from an album I relistened to the other night and still love, plus the wonderful Motown/Stax horns that I'm also a sucker for. It's beautifully put together, not at all "cheesy" in my view and as tzb said, much more like what PFAYM should have been like in that it isn't too overblown or drowned in overdubs. Also, the chorus is amazing.

It looks like there can be an interesting comparison with TIMT, which had one disproportionately poppy song on it but which in my view is one of the weakest singles and which didn't belong on the LP (You Stole the Sun From My Heart). My hope is that this track will mesh much more nicely with the rest of the apparently quite mature, subdued and potentially slightly TIMT-esque material we can expect on the rest of the record.

Exciting times, for sure.
Old 22-07-2013, 17:48
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyLie View Post
I'm hopeful for the 'acoustic' record especially if it has moments like their 'Out Of Time' cover on it
Looks like I called this new single back in May!
Old 22-07-2013, 17:52
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookUK View Post
I'm about ten listens in now, and I'm a very big fan of this. I think the two songs we've heard so far just reinforce the Manics' willingness to change quite often, which for me personally is one of the things I love most about the band. You know that when a new album comes along it simply isn't going to sound like the previous one, even if there are links between records (as there apparently are between TIMT and Rewind the Film).

It's good to have James back at the forefront after surrendering most of the limelight to the (very good) Mr. Hawley. I also really like the rephrased Cardigans lyric from an album I relistened to the other night and still love, plus the wonderful Motown/Stax horns that I'm also a sucker for. It's beautifully put together, not at all "cheesy" in my view and as tzb said, much more like what PFAYM should have been like in that it isn't too overblown or drowned in overdubs. Also, the chorus is amazing.

It looks like there can be an interesting comparison with TIMT, which had one disproportionately poppy song on it but which in my view is one of the weakest singles and which didn't belong on the LP (You Stole the Sun From My Heart). My hope is that this track will mesh much more nicely with the rest of the apparently quite mature, subdued and potentially slightly TIMT-esque material we can expect on the rest of the record.

Exciting times, for sure.
^^^^ Yes to all of this!
Old 22-07-2013, 17:54
Winterlover

A nice piece of nostalgic sunshine let down by a racket of a chorus. Based on a couple of listens, so not exactly my One True Point of View yet. This and RTF bode well for the future though.

As a more bizarre afterthought, "Is heaven a place where nothing ever happens" just makes me think of this and now I kinda want to hear a Manics cover of it.
Old 22-07-2013, 17:55
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
The chorus is messy as fuck. That let's it down.
Old 22-07-2013, 18:17
Builder of routine

I like it. I can see it growing on me but it's not the instant squeeee of RTF. Chorus is a bit shouty but that may be my laptop speakers.

Still looking forward to that there album
Old 22-07-2013, 18:18
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
Aw it's so jolly! Kind of like their own Out Of Time in that respect.
Spot on!

I really like this style of music, but struggling to reconcile it being a Manics song. I guess I'm still pining after them bringing back some vitriol to proceedings... Hopefully will get that on the next album (or maybe JFPL was the full stop to that).
Old 22-07-2013, 18:28
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
The chorus is messy as fuck. That let's it down.
Yep, chorus is the weakest part, funnily enough! It is so strong on the whole, though, that I let it pass. It will precede RTF on the album apparently, I intend to listen to the songs on succession tonight to see whether that works.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 22-07-2013, 18:38

What a tune! How many bands can still be catchy after 20 odd years?

I think the Video will complete the single.

"It's clear to me - and has been since the age of 10 or so - that most people are bastards, thieves and yes - even pigfuckers" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 22-07-2013, 18:53

Ohhhhh. My heart aches
Old 22-07-2013, 18:56
Freed from the century

Just thinking about it, this song really does fit in with the whole Radio 2 thing in Hyde Park!!! haha. I was wondering how they fit that bill, but i think this single has now answered all those questions

JDB = legend