Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-11-2006, 15:22
Mr Msppedia

How do you actually create categorys? Cause we need 1989 and 1990 and 2006 categories (there were gigs in 1990 but SB.net never listed them, if you look in NME originals there were a few mentioned anyway) And also are we going to be including the solo stuff or just leaving it as MSP for the timebeing?

Last edited by MSPKYE; 19-11-2006 at 15:28.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:22
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl
He doesn't have to 'reasonably explain' himself to anyone. Kev has done this off his own back, we all may be able to upload things to the site but if he's not happy with something that's been put on there, he's quite within his right to remove it. The issue here isn't really whether bootlegs are legal or not, Kev's made it clear bootlegs aren't the key focus of the site. If you or anyone else wants to make a bootlegging site, then go for it, but you can't force someone else into doing what you want them to do.
No. He said he didn't want bootlegs because of fears of legal retribution. I asked him why he would use that as a reason to ban legal things being put there. If he were to say 'I simply dislike bootlegs' or 'I don't want MSP fans to have easy organised access to bootlegs as they're all cunts' then they would be more logical responses that I could accept a lot easier (though I would nevertheless think it a selfish response, but there would be no way to argue against it as it's his site)

I'm not attacking him, nor saying the MSPpedia is bad (after all, it was my idea in the first place, and he's done an excellent job bringing it to fruition), however, I just asked a reasonable question as to why he's made a certain descision taht as far as I'm aware is founded on irrational reasons and only serves to deprive fans who aren't FD members with over 100 posts.

Last edited by TheSilentMan; 19-11-2006 at 15:27.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:27
Bored of being bored

I've just joined and added a few setlists. Got a couple more written down somewhere. And advertised the site on other websites.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:32
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE
How do you actually create categorys? Cause we need 1989 and 1990 and 2006 categories (there were gigs in 1990 but SB.net never listed them, if you look in NME originals there were a few mentioned anyway) And also are we going to be including the solo stuff or just leaving it as MSP for the timebeing?
To create categories you simply name them at the bottom of the article for example:

[[Category:1989]]

From that point onwards the category exists and any other articles containing that text will be placed in that category. You may also wish to go to the category page (which will be shown in red) and enter some text (for example, the other year categories contain lists of known gigs).

I see no reason why the solo stuff can't be included, if (for example) you place it in the category "James Dean Bradfield" or "Nicky Wire" instead of "Manic Street Preachers".
Old 19-11-2006, 15:33
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex
I've just joined and added a few setlists. Got a couple more written down somewhere. And advertised the site on other websites.
Thank you for your support.
Old 19-11-2006, 15:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE
Yeh, I think we should put the solo stuff there...
As well as some cool skins and other info (such as sessions, tv appearances, etc) just like http://www.pulpwiki.net/
Old 19-11-2006, 15:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentMan
No. He said he didn't want bootlegs because of fears of legal retribution. I asked him why he would use that as a reason to ban legal things being put there. If he were to say 'I simply dislike bootlegs' or 'I don't want MSP fans to have easy organised access to bootlegs as they're all cunts' then they would be more logical responses that I could accept a lot easier (though I would nevertheless think it a selfish response, but there would be no way to argue against it as it's his site).
Does this suffice as a reasoned response?

"The current aim of the site is not to provide bootlegs. The "driving force" behind the creation of the site, and the user's focus thus far has been on providing 'gigography' information, or setlists. There is a discussion to be had on the legality (vs acceptability) of bootlegs and the best way of distributing them but, to ensure that the key aims of this site are met and to make it easier for myself and the other users to meet them, I have made the decision that now is not the best time or the best forum to have this discussion."

If you will accept that as my reasoned response, can we please accept that links to bootlegs on MSPpedia are not acceptable at this time?

If you wish to have a wider debate on the legality or acceptability of bootlegs, or the best way to distribute them, might I suggest that a seperate thread might be a better place for this?
Old 19-11-2006, 16:00
A self-made vacuum

Looking good so far, how about sticking in TV appearences and the like ? I'd do it myself but i've enought work to do elsewhere I'm afraid.
Old 19-11-2006, 16:25
Administrator

Heh, do we really need the category manic street preachers?

And also I noticed there is a setlist and a setlists category, maybe we should standardise?
Old 19-11-2006, 16:32
Bored of being bored

I still have a pretty big list with press articles about the Manics (150 from 1991 to 2001) that were originally on manicsonline.co.uk. They were meant to be posted on fd.com but that never happened. I've kinda kept them on my computer since because it would be a shame to throw them away. I believe they're currently not available online anywhere, which is a shame because they're quite interesting to read. But I'm just not sure if they're supposed to go on the MSPpedia website since at the moment it's quite narrowly focussed on providing a gigography/setlist.
Old 19-11-2006, 16:32
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk
Heh, do we really need the category manic street preachers?
Well, the idea was that the solo gigs would be under categories "James Dean Bradfield" and "Nicky Wire" and the full-band gigs under the category "Manic Street Preachers"... good idea/bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk
And also I noticed there is a setlist and a setlists category, maybe we should standardise?
Aye, I think that one's largely my bad. I'm going to try to work out a smart way of changing that without altering each article manually...
Old 19-11-2006, 16:38
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim
I still have a pretty big list with press articles about the Manics (150 from 1991 to 2001)
Maybe they could help fill a few gaps, SB.net missed out quite a few gigs, I've just found loads of the Holy Bible tour that they missed just by looking at Therapy? sites
Old 19-11-2006, 16:38
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim
I still have a pretty big list with press articles about the Manics (150 from 1991 to 2001) that were originally on manicsonline.co.uk. They were meant to be posted on fd.com but that never happened. I've kinda kept them on my computer since because it would be a shame to throw them away. I believe they're currently not available online anywhere, which is a shame because they're quite interesting to read. But I'm just not sure if they're supposed to go on the MSPpedia website since at the moment it's quite narrowly focussed on providing a gigography/setlist.
If you can think of an appropriate way to organise them, then I don't see why they couldn't be placed there at some point. I think it might be a good idea to wait a bit first though, stop the whole thing getting out of control too fast. There is a fairly frantic effort from some users doing the setlists thing at the moment (thank you, guys!) and while this is going on I'd rather concentrate on making sure that those articles are in order before thinking about other uses...
Old 19-11-2006, 16:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Spotted
Well, the idea was that the solo gigs would be under categories "James Dean Bradfield" and "Nicky Wire" and the full-band gigs under the category "Manic Street Preachers"... good idea/bad idea?
I hadn't thought of that, in which case it's probably quite a good idea.
Old 19-11-2006, 19:38
Nickie

Wow, that's awesome. We needed somewhere like this....there's so many Manics sites that have either closed or the information isn't up-to-date