Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-03-2019, 03:19
Winterlover

If part of Jo’s poem was included in The Girl Who Wanted to be God then it was quite obviously Richey who included it (I think he was also accused of stealing lines from another fan’s poetry for the lyrics to 4st 7lb and that fan, Becky I believe her name was, wasn’t credited either) so having a go at the band about that is absurd! Presuming she was able to provide them with proof that Richey nicked pieces of her poem and they still didn’t respond, why didn’t she take legal action? Why bring it up over 20 years later in a bio about the guy who nicked them in the first place? As far as I’m concerned, that accusation is just another cheap shot at the band in a chapter full of them! From Jo’s letters making it seem like the band somehow owe her like she was Richey’s widow or something (she was in her early 20s at the time so I think some slack can be cut where she’s concerned) to Rachel making it sound like the band didn’t do enough to find him or her obvious annoyance at them carrying on without him. Also, as Raven mentions, the Bugs Bunny folder thing was beyond petty and kind of hipocritical. She goes on about not knowing if he wanted those things published because they were his private thoughts...in a book where everything from his personal diaries to his stay in treatment facilities for mental illness and addictions, are included. Rachel may have some legitimate gripes with the band and their management for blanking her and may be the band really shouldn’t have used lyrics from All is Vanity for Picturesque without crediting Richey, but beyond that, I don’t think they deserve to be slighted like this especially given how respectful of the family’s feelings they’ve been and continue to be.

Vaiden: no idea why the delay. I’m currently trying to get through the original edition which I purchased from Ireland back in Feb and comparing it to the digital copy released on March 14/15, but so far I can’t find any variances. I really don’t want to read the book again particularly the BS song interpretations (once was enough! Lol!) so I haven’t gotten very far. As much as I wish this book helps Rachel Edwards find some peace of mind, it’s not a very well written book (that Margaret on the Guillotine error is the least of its problems) and like both Raven and Handbag mentioned, it’s far too biased. It was a struggle to get through it the first time.