Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-06-2016, 19:28
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
When have the Manics ever been political?

Any of the "politics" that they have spouted from day one has always been very carefully orchestrated as part of whatever "image" they were looking to project at the time rather than something they truly believe in.

They are a band that used politics rather than ever being a political band.

A lot of their songs (most from early records , KYE and Futurology) deal with social and political matters though.
Old 25-06-2016, 19:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
No sweetheart, they're the ones who keep saying they're the only band with any 'political' slant on things and then chicken out when they're actually asked a political question. Gruffalo Rhys has more of an opinion and doesn't proclaim his apparent political superiority like they do. Oh, and the EU referendum wasn't just anything under the sun's now, was it? Only the biggest collective British decision since....? You tell me if you don't think it's that big a deal. Ps: Wire's politics degree? When Richey wrote the majority of his essays? I'm not being nasty here by the way, just asking questions and having a slightly different slant on a band I used to admire.
I didn't think you were being nasty, I think it's perfectly reasonable subject to wonder about. I think you're perfectly entitled to feel they don't engage the media in as much political conversation as they once did, in the same ways they once did.

The EU referendum was/is a hugely significant thing, and my 'everything under the sun' comment was too flippant, I happily apologise for that. Maybe Nicky will be more forthcoming with an opinion now it's happened, but they did just release a song called Together Stronger right after the last album called Futurology that had a tonne of European references on it and a video pastiching a German film. Maybe Nicky just wants their work to do more of the talking these days? As Dancing Kirby so DancingKirbyingly* put it, perhaps it will fire up some inspiration in Nicky's writing.

I just don't think there is any great duty or responsibility for them to pass comment on anything until and unless they want to, and I don't think them describing themselves as political means they have to go out of their way to make mouthy comments like they used to. I still think they are quite political, just not in the same way as when they where younger. The proof of the pudding is in their work, for that is when they are expressing themselves collectively as a band. If they choose to make obviously political comments in interviews etc then fine (like I said, I'd be happy for them to do so) but to me it seems like a lot of the politics in their songs are from a place of reflection upon the past or predictions about the future more than providing a running social commentary, certainly in the post-Richey era(s), and I think it is probably better for it.

As much as I often enjoy their interviews, I'm a fan of the band because of the music they make and the lyrics they write. And I think when they talk about themselves being political, it's often from a place of bemoaning the lack of other, younger bands taking up that mantle, rather than to just be boastful about it.

*not a real word, but I would argue it should be.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 25-06-2016, 19:40
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
When have the Manics ever been political?

Any of the "politics" that they have spouted from day one has always been very carefully orchestrated as part of whatever "image" they were looking to project at the time rather than something they truly believe in.

They are a band that used politics rather than ever being a political band.
I disagree. I would say every one of their records is political, some more obviously than others. The context of their image at the time is not mutually exclusive.

Politics doesn't just mean talking about professional politicians. Politics touches almost everything that involves people and power and the relationships between those things and the things they affect.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 26-06-2016, 15:09
Desire on its knees

This interview from two years ago was their most blatantly political I can remember reading recently, although much of it is to do with how bleakly disillusioned they feel about politics. 30 Year War was certainly one of their more political lyrics, but they've certainly been ambivalent about the EU issue since then.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/...ate-labour-too
Old 26-06-2016, 17:10
Winterlover

They might be a political band, but that does come with caveats. After all it's hard to shout loudly if nobody listens. The ability to influence popular opinion rises and falls with the band itself. So unlike consistently huge bands whom fans hang on the every word of, there is a chance that the Manics feel like their music does the talking. They've been in largely celebratory mood the last few years, and non musical political comment has appeared minimal by their old standards.

Personally, I'm cool with that.
Old 27-06-2016, 00:48
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post
but they've certainly been ambivalent about the EU issue since then.
Well this is the thing, if you have a nuanced and not hugely visceral position on a particular issue it rarely lends itself to pithy pronouncements in interviews, and even less to memorable song lyrics. So if you say anything at all on the issue it doesn't really hit home...
Old 27-06-2016, 17:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

They're talking about the EU in this one. Some beautiful words from Wire.

https://youtu.be/UanrsQTuTjQ
Old 27-06-2016, 20:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post
They're talking about the EU in this one. Some beautiful words from Wire.

https://youtu.be/UanrsQTuTjQ
There's your political commentary right there, what is everyone complaining about? Just change the timestamps and everything they say you could apply to current events. Personally, i like the distance they put between themselves and politics with music filling in the gap, i think they have it mostly spot on.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 27-06-2016, 21:07
I live to fall asleep

I think, for myself at least, the time stamp is what is irritating - they talk about Europe just as long as nobody is too interested, but when an opinion such as the one in the video above may be deemed even slightly controversial they go all quiet, even when being asked right out.
But they wave Welsh flags all over the place (YES! in the context of a foot ball song! I know) at a time when all the wrong people go around waving flags and James explicitly says (probably not putting much thought into it - I fucking hope so!) that all he wants for "Together Stronger" is "Welsh people to like it". It's a bit like fiddling while Rome's burning, apart from really being a really thoughtless and excluding choice of words. - I'll be buying Manics stuff again then when you tell me that you are interested in non-Welsh-people liking it, okay?

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 27-06-2016, 21:18
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
I think, for myself at least, the time stamp is what is irritating - they talk about Europe just as long as nobody is too interested, but when an opinion such as the one in the video above may be deemed even slightly controversial they go all quiet, even when being asked right out.
But they wave Welsh flags all over the place (YES! in the context of a foot ball song! I know) at a time when all the wrong people go around waving flags and James explicitly says (probably not putting much thought into it - I fucking hope so!) that all he wants for "Together Stronger" is "Welsh people to like it". It's a bit like fiddling while Rome's burning, apart from really being a really thoughtless and excluding choice of words. - I'll be buying Manics stuff again then when you tell me that you are interested in non-Welsh-people liking it, okay?
He isn't xenophobic ... it's all about football ... it's a huge thing for Welsh football to qualify for the euros and there's a big rivalry against England I would imagine...
Old 27-06-2016, 21:29
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
We live in exceptional circumstances right now so yeah, maybe, but when everyone is being an armchair political commentator i'm not sure i want a pithy tweet. It can be intensely irritating when bands start taking a more active role in politics.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 27-06-2016, 22:04
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

They probably voted leave. Most lefty leavers have been dead quiet since Thursday.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 28-06-2016, 00:46
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
To be honest, I'm glad I saw this video. I wanted some input, I said, there it is. Nice! ♥
Old 28-06-2016, 04:30
Administrator

Their politics has consisted of obscure political lyrics all the way through. I have never seen Wire offer a coherent political opinion on anything that really matters. His latest delirum interview is evidence of that. A lot easier to give teenage style political crypticism than actually do anything (largely in contrast to James who seems to a do lot more things that really matter).
Old 28-06-2016, 09:28
Under neon loneliness

Telling everyone who you voted for is a relatively new thing. It's long been traditional to keep your vote private ... and I understand why. The act of voting is the thing that gives you power. Broadcasting how you vote wasn't the done thing for most of my life.
The rise of social media, and the ever growing need to 'share' every single thought, deed and mouthful of food, has changed things, and those of us who inhabit those social media spheres naturally find it easier to share our political opinions too.
Ten years ago, pre Facebook, if anyone had asked me how I'd voted, I would have been a lot less polite than Nicky, and would have considered the question itself a bit out of order. Suffragists fought hard for the secret vote.
Nicky's political voice is right there in his lyrics, and he might just be thinking that he's said his piece already, and broadcast it to the world. Why assume that he voted Leave because he's keeping his privacy? And why assume that all Leave voters aren't politically savvy? I had to personally talk down a couple of people who were planning to vote Leave because they hated what the EU had done to fuck Greece over ... and I saw their point, but argued that it was better to stay in and change things from a position of power.