Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 17-06-2019, 16:26
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
It's hard to argue with that setlist.

Can we be crude and talk money? Do you think they make more for this support slot compared to one night on a normal tour?
Interestingly, I've read somewhere that record labels pay bands to get them on the support slot unless the headlining act asks for them personally (for example £100k to support Take That, apparently). I don't know if that applies to the Manics in this instance because they're so established now and Bon Jovi (or their management) should be aware of them.

Now, let's say they did get paid - 10% of the profits on a 90,000 capacity gig vs (for arguments sake) 90% on a 4,000 capacity gig. Obviously the first figure would generate more money but I have no idea how this works so I am just speculating! I don't think anyone will know for certain unless you are from their inner circle.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 17-06-2019, 19:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Interestingly, I've read somewhere that record labels pay bands to get them on the support slot unless the headlining act asks for them personally (for example £100k to support Take That, apparently). I don't know if that applies to the Manics in this instance because they're so established now and Bon Jovi (or their management) should be aware of them.

Now, let's say they did get paid - 10% of the profits on a 90,000 capacity gig vs (for arguments sake) 90% on a 4,000 capacity gig. Obviously the first figure would generate more money but I have no idea how this works so I am just speculating! I don't think anyone will know for certain unless you are from their inner circle.
I'm pretty sure they would be invited at a management level for these types of gigs. They probably would just get a set sum rather than a percentage of ticket sales as I guess they are there to fill time rather than attract anyone. I'm sure the helping hands in the band get a set session amount and then the band gets their pay. They must get a tidy amount they are happy with because there really is no other special reason to do it.
Old 18-06-2019, 11:23
Winterlover

As I understand it, support acts at most gigs get a set fee. It might be bigger for a big stadium tour, but I imagine it's not particularly lucrative.

The main "prize" from this sort of thing is probably exposure and sales. Let's face it, by playing to a Bon Jovi crowd, you're playing to a fairly large audience who still actually buy music (physically or otherwise.)
Old 18-06-2019, 12:17
I am purity, they call me perverted

I imagine that the opportunity to play these huge stadiums is a massive draw to the band especially as Nicky missed the GNR shows. These type of shows don't come along very often especially this late stage in their career. I'd think they would have been mad not to do it.
o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness

Last edited by scott_laconia; 18-06-2019 at 14:53.
Old 19-06-2019, 00:15
Winterlover

They may have got the golden ticket in Bon Jovi's Opening Act competition the chosen ones received no fee.... I think that was just run in the U.S.....Less anyone's heard them grumbling bout their phone bill recently???

Bon Jovi's supposed to be amongst the biggest earners for their tours aren't they? So hopefully Mr Jovi's dug deep...and has remembered their name this time round
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

Last edited by raven; 19-06-2019 at 00:19.
Old 19-06-2019, 20:25
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Couldn't do both Eventium and this but enjoy Anfield!
Old 20-06-2019, 09:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
So hopefully Mr Jovi's dug deep...and has remembered their name this time round
He should remember, he was singing their praises in 96/97 after he relocated to London for a year and was saying in interviews that if he hadn't he would have never heard of Manic Street Preachers and their wonderful Design for Life
Old 20-06-2019, 15:26
Bored of being bored

Obviously though BJ are not even close in comparison to the MSP despite their very average LP's for last 12 yrs apart from Futurology
Old 20-06-2019, 19:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
He should remember, he was singing their praises in 96/97 after he relocated to London for a year and was saying in interviews that if he hadn't he would have never heard of Manic Street Preachers and their wonderful Design for Life
Well, you're asking him to remember 20 years back...when back then he seemed to have forgotten that that band he'd never heard of opened for them 3 years previous

Oh hang on, that was the Maniacs wasn't it
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 22-06-2019, 10:34
I live to fall asleep

If they only got 50p of the ticket price they would make £45,000 right? (Based on 90k)That seems plausible to me, a tidy some as well.
Old 22-06-2019, 17:06
I live to fall asleep

A lady at work today said she went to see Bon Jovi in Liverpool the other night, so I said "That means you'll have seen my favourite band then, too." And she said "Oh the Manics? They were really good, played some of their greatest hits songs which I knew, they commanded the stage." I was pleased she enjoyed them. She also said her ticket was £140 I think she said!!! Shocking.
Old 22-06-2019, 17:18
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Found That Soul* View Post
If they only got 50p of the ticket price they would make £45,000 right? (Based on 90k)That seems plausible to me, a tidy some as well.
I'd think they will be on a flat fee rather than a % of the tickets.
Old 22-06-2019, 18:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
I'd think they will be on a flat fee rather than a % of the tickets.
You may well be right. What have they done 7/8 gigs? How much you reckon they’ll get for that?

Out of interest what would they get for say their own tour, 2k capacity at £40 a ticket?
Old 22-06-2019, 19:57
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Found That Soul* View Post
You may well be right. What have they done 7/8 gigs? How much you reckon they’ll get for that?

Out of interest what would they get for say their own tour, 2k capacity at £40 a ticket?
Not sure tbh, but having seen/heard some of the wages past Jovi support acts (and it's not limited to just them) have earned I'd be willing to bet it's a criminally low amount - £1000 a gig would be an eductaed guess.

2K capacity venues are a fantastic earner for headliners due to the massively reduced production costs/venue hire etc. Arenas cost a fortune to hire, and stadiums even worse. Obviously if you are gauranteed to sell them out it's worth it, but if you are not sure then City Hall or O2 Academy sized venues are a much better prospect. Sadly the last two times I saw Manics at Leeds Arena they were nowhere near full - probably why we saw a small scale tour this time around.