Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 13-05-2018, 01:34
ForeverDelayed.com's Avatar
ForeverDelayed.com ForeverDelayed.com is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City
Age: 34
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
Amazing how the value of the formats has changed somewhat.
Vinyl was £10, CD £15 LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 13-05-2018, 16:17
sitdown1985's Avatar
sitdown1985 sitdown1985 is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Reading
Age: 33
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
Vinyl was £10, CD £15 LOL
I actually still have the embossed case version, the front of the booklet has no title, it's on the jewel case plastic. Odd they did that...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 13-05-2018, 17:46
darkanddivine's Avatar
darkanddivine darkanddivine is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wolfland
Posts: 6,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdown1985 View Post
[FONT="Georgia"]I'd love to here some of the demos, and although a tour of the album would be amazing, I do wonder if the lull in tempo between Tsunami and Black Dog might feel a bit odd for a Manics gig (assuming they played it in order). With the singles gig at the o2, they didn't play them in chronological order, could they do the same for an album tour?
Personally, I felt that it would have been an idea to do EMG and TIMT on the same night for that reason. Get an orchestra out, do all the strings and do a rock set and a chill set. Truth is a great listen, but it wouldn't lend itself to a gig in the traditional sense, whereas EMG and THB do work nicely as gigs.

I've seen a few of these anniversary shows, and only one (Garbage) played an album out of order. It could be done, but I'd imagine a Truth themed gig (with other similar tracks) would be an easier sell than just a straight play-through. All the action is really in the first 5 tracks. Having said that, the album was massively popular at the time, so you never know what the public reaction would be.
__________________
Countries are just lines drawn in the sand with a stick
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 13-05-2018, 17:59
Vancouver's Avatar
Vancouver Vancouver is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver (formerly Sydney)
Age: 38
Posts: 497
Can't see them playing the album in full....even out of order.
__________________
Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 13-05-2018, 20:14
Europa Gluten Free's Avatar
Europa Gluten Free Europa Gluten Free is offline
Hold me she said, Love me to Death
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,974
Just give us a nice vinyl box set with demos and lyrics and the photos from the era (I remember the wonderful gig programme with the photos and the quote /lyrics that I used to have up on my teenage bedroom wall). No gigs please - just play some album tracks (Nobody Loved You, Black Dog) on the winter tour.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 13-05-2018, 23:25
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 35
Posts: 14,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
Can't see them playing the album in full....even out of order.
As much as I’d love to see it, struggling to imagine it too. Was brilliant seeing Holy Bible and Everything Must Go in full, but they’d played every song on both those albums before the anniversary tours. They’ve still never played I’m Not Working or Be Natural, ever.

With PCP coming back for the Futurology launch and Removeables coming back for the second batch of Holy Bible gigs, I was hoping for summat rare off This Is My Truth on the Resistance Is Futile tour. Great that they brought You’re Tender And You’re Tired back in 2016 and My Little Empire last year, but that just adds to my disappointment that we got nothing beyond the singles on this tour. Didn’t even get an Everlasting, did we? Don’t know how much love they’ve got for the album now, the second half in particular. It’s the album that got me obsessed with em but being 15 at the time, couldn’t afford to go see em. Seen em 64 times since 2001 and still only seen three album tracks from it, gutted how overlooked the rest of it is. Hope I’m made to eat my words...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 14-05-2018, 10:45
burnleybassman's Avatar
burnleybassman burnleybassman is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Otley, England
Age: 37
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
As much as I’d love to see it, struggling to imagine it too. Was brilliant seeing Holy Bible and Everything Must Go in full, but they’d played every song on both those albums before the anniversary tours. They’ve still never played I’m Not Working or Be Natural, ever.

With PCP coming back for the Futurology launch and Removeables coming back for the second batch of Holy Bible gigs, I was hoping for summat rare off This Is My Truth on the Resistance Is Futile tour. Great that they brought You’re Tender And You’re Tired back in 2016 and My Little Empire last year, but that just adds to my disappointment that we got nothing beyond the singles on this tour. Didn’t even get an Everlasting, did we? Don’t know how much love they’ve got for the album now, the second half in particular. It’s the album that got me obsessed with em but being 15 at the time, couldn’t afford to go see em. Seen em 64 times since 2001 and still only seen three album tracks from it, gutted how overlooked the rest of it is. Hope I’m made to eat my words...
If (and this is a big IF!) they do another tour later this year, then I can see them dropping in a few more cuts from Truth into the set like they did with SATT10. If what we have been lead to believe is true, then following the release of the anniversary version, I can see them doing a tour around winter hopefully in Manchester Apollo sized venues.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 14-05-2018, 11:08
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 35
Posts: 14,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnleybassman View Post
If (and this is a big IF!) they do another tour later this year, then I can see them dropping in a few more cuts from Truth into the set like they did with SATT10. If what we have been lead to believe is true, then following the release of the anniversary version, I can see them doing a tour around winter hopefully in Manchester Apollo sized venues.
If that's what does end up happening, I can't help but feel that it's a bit back to front. They're just not an arena band anymore. Course, This Is My Truth was a huge album and I love it, and they'd already been propelled to arenas by the time that came out. I'm not sure how well received it is beyond us obsessives these days... Everything Must Go still had enough demand and appeal for the arenas a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure about This Is My Truth. I think I've probably been in about two charity shops without seeing a copy in the last 20 years, genuinely have no idea where it sits with the general gig-going public these days. Yeah, it was big in 98 and 99, but after Everything Must Go I reckon anything they put out would've been, no matter what. Think it's a much weirder, unlikely hit of an album that people give it credit for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 14-05-2018, 11:22
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 7,907
JFPL10 next year, anyone? (if you can believe that!)
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton Academy 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 Arena 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush Empire 2013 • London Brixton Academy 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 14-05-2018, 14:05
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 35
Posts: 14,148
Eh, they might bring Jackie back for the festivals..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 14-05-2018, 17:36
Glyn Glyn is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
JFPL10 next year, anyone? (if you can believe that!)
Stick on Primitive Painters, Vision Blurred and the alternative Bag Lady and they can take my money now!

Any thoughts on fantasy tracklisting for TIMTTMY ? I'd love to hear any of the following :
Early (Happy Mondays esque version) of Prologue to History - half remember mention of this but might have made that up!
Demo of Be Natural that they thought could be a single
Demo of Tolerate in its 'nothing more than a bside' version
Any other version of My Little Empire (am sure I'm in the minority by wanting to hear a version with just Wire's vocals)
A clean audio version of Ready for Drowning with John Cale


Surely they all have a demo of Tsunami too but are keeping quiet about it
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15-05-2018, 01:12
Vancouver's Avatar
Vancouver Vancouver is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver (formerly Sydney)
Age: 38
Posts: 497
I'd love to hear the demos from this period..or any alt. versions. Especially I'm Now Working and Be Natural.
__________________
Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 15-05-2018, 14:45
Marconi Delorian's Avatar
Marconi Delorian Marconi Delorian is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxfordshire
Age: 36
Posts: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
I'd love to hear the demos from this period..or any alt. versions. Especially I'm Now Working and Be Natural.

Those damned Tories...
__________________
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 15-05-2018, 16:53
hummingbird's Avatar
hummingbird hummingbird is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in a quiet corner
Posts: 18,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdown1985 View Post
I actually still have the embossed case version, the front of the booklet has no title, it's on the jewel case plastic. Odd they did that...
I have that too limited Edition they said. I didn't get the vinyl cos cds were the future. Or something.
__________________
IS IT MANICS O'CLOCK YET?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 15-05-2018, 19:30
PaulTMA PaulTMA is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 417
It's funny how their biggest album just doesn't appear to have the staying power of its two predecessors. It was massive off the back of EMG and the singles, really.

https://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSele...threadid=93237

Last edited by PaulTMA; 15-05-2018 at 23:17.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.