Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 17:51
I am purity, they call me perverted

Am I the only one who thought PFAYM was a bit pants?

I have tried, really tried to love Postcards but I still cannot help but find it underwhelming. It sounds and feels 'dialled in' to me. Almost like the guys were on 'big anthem' autopilot but forgot all about the soul, intelligence and weight that their albums usually have. Is it just me? I have I missed something?
Old 02-06-2013, 17:56
Bored out of my mind

Postcards fan here!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-06-2013, 17:57
Builder of routine

here we go again
Old 02-06-2013, 17:59
Under neon loneliness

Whatever gave you the idea you're the only one? I'd say it's their least popular album with longstanding fans, myself included. The album and the embarrassing "one last shot at mass communication" nonsense around it turned a lot of former devotees off them altogether.

So you're in good company!
Old 02-06-2013, 18:04
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
here we go again
Oh yes!

*puts on boxing gloves!*
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-06-2013, 18:15
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Both SATT & PFAYM represent the manics at the their least creative and unmotivated. There is probably 3 songs per album that are passable but still not up there with the best.
Old 02-06-2013, 18:21

I really enjoyed SATT. Loads of energy. I know it missed that edge that I love so much but I do think it trumps PFAYM. As far as some fans falling out of love goes, it did really test my affection for a while, especially when I saw them at Brixton (at the postponed gig) and they looked tired and jaded. It's the strength of the other albums that drew me back in and made me want to give Postcards another go - sadly it just doesn't work for me. I am hopeful about the new stuff though - albeit cautiously. I just have vague worries of a KYE type hit/miss affair.
Old 02-06-2013, 18:23
Builder of routine

For someone who goes to multiple gigs and owns a ridiculous amount of copies of GT, I don't actually listen to the manics all that often. When I do SATT and Postcards are not albums i go to. The B-sides were better songs
Old 02-06-2013, 18:26
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDawes View Post
I really enjoyed SATT. Loads of energy. I know it missed that edge that I love so much but I do think it trumps PFAYM. As far as some fans falling out of love goes, it did really test my affection for a while, especially when I saw them at Brixton (at the postponed gig) and they looked tired and jaded. It's the strength of the other albums that drew me back in and made me want to give Postcards another go - sadly it just doesn't work for me. I am hopeful about the new stuff though - albeit cautiously. I just have vague worries of a KYE type hit/miss affair.
you thought they looked jaded??? Which date did you go to? If it was the second then you were in a parallel universe. James was on fire..couldn't keep my eyes off him all gig. Mediocre album i agree but those Brixton January dates were great
Old 02-06-2013, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
you thought they looked jaded??? Which date did you go to? If it was the second then you were in a parallel universe. James was on fire..couldn't keep my eyes off him all gig. Mediocre album i agree but those Brixton January dates were great
First I think. I can't quite remember but I guess it must have been. I've seen them so many times I know when James is or isn't on it. Don't get me wrong it was still good just not up to their usual standards.
Old 02-06-2013, 18:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDawes View Post
First I think. I can't quite remember but I guess it must have been. I've seen them so many times I know when James is or isn't on it. Don't get me wrong it was still good just not up to their usual standards.
i went to both but i was in a bit of a shitty spot for the first one.
He was on it for the second one trust me. Post gig comments on here back me up
Old 02-06-2013, 18:45
Bored out of my mind

Nope not just you. Probably my least favourite album and I never bother to listen to it anymore.
Old 02-06-2013, 18:52
Under neon loneliness

I don't see SATT as symptomatic of the same problems, at all. There's a lot to love on that record and some of the songs are sincere and heartfelt, even if they're musically a bit derivative.

And then there's PFAYM...
Old 02-06-2013, 19:13
Bored out of my mind

I'm listening to Postcards right now! Hardcore me!
Old 02-06-2013, 19:27
Builder of routine

I gave The Passing Show a spin earlier