Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-02-2011, 22:47
I live to fall asleep

Secret Histories - the b-sides albums

It's pretty common for Manics fans to prefer various b-sides to tracks that actually made their parent album. Occasionally though it's commented (especially about the SATT b-sides) that the b-sides album would be better than the album they actually released.

Below I've listed the b-sides from the albums that have enough to make up an album, and made up rough track-listings (you can of course make your own). If they were actual albums, what would you think of them? What singles would you have released? And are any of them genuinely good enough to stand as albums?

'Fear Of Motion'

1) Locust Valley
2) Little Trolls
3) Just A Kid
4) Masking Tape
5) Pedestal
6) Fear Of Motion
7) Ballad Of The Bangkok Novotel
8) Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel?
9) Morning Sun
10) Groundhog Days

'Litany'

1) Everyone Knows/Nobody Cares
2) Litany
3) All Alone Here
4) No Jubilees
5) Firefight
6) Everything Will Be
7) Picturesque
8) Askew Road
9) Antarctic
10) The Soulmates
11) Dying Breeds
12) Quaratine (In My Place Of)
13) Voodoo Polaroids
14) A Secret Society
-Hidden Track - Failure Bound

Love Letter To The Future (or Welcome To The Dead Zone)

1) The Vorticists
2) Heyday Of The Blood
3) Anorexic Rodin
4) Morning Comrades
5) Boxes And Lists
6) Welcome To The Dead Zone
7) The Long Goodbye
8) Love Letter To The Future
9) Little Girl Lost
10) 1404
11) Lady Lazarus
12) Fearless Punk Ballad
13) You Know It's Going To Hurt
- Hidden track- Ghosts Of Christmas

'Lost Voices'

1) Red Rubber
2) Broken Up Again
3) Distractions
4) Kiss My Eyes For Eternity
5) Lost Voices
6) I Know The Numbers
7) The Passing Show
8) I'm Leaving You For Solitude
9) Inky Fingers
10) Ostpolitik
11) Slow Reflections / Strange Delays
12) Engage With Your Shadow
13) Evidence Against Myself

Last edited by Phil C; 28-02-2011 at 00:02.
Old 27-02-2011, 23:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/for...ad.php?t=50667
Old 28-02-2011, 00:01
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo86 View Post
That's a thread listing all Manics b-sides. That isn't the point of this thread. Although it did remind me of 'Ghosts Of Christmas'. The point of this thread is to get people's opinions, not just a list of tracks.
Old 28-02-2011, 12:47
Winterlover

The Manics aren't always brilliant at sifting through their own stuff and working out what's a single or not, so yes there are some complete gems that have been lost. Are the B-ides as albums good enough to stand up as albums? no not really. As a fan it's harder to be objective about a body of work as it is quite possible to be bored of some great music simply due to over-exposure.

So while yes, there are one or two notable exceptions, most songs are B-sides for a reason. I think the biggest loss was not releasing ForeverDelayed as a stand alone single at some stage, it could have been a brilliant release, where as now it's a dusty gem that most people don't hear.
Old 28-02-2011, 16:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
It's pretty common for Manics fans to prefer various b-sides to tracks that actually made their parent album. Occasionally though it's commented (especially about the SATT b-sides) that the b-sides album would be better than the album they actually released.

Below I've listed the b-sides from the albums that have enough to make up an album, and made up rough track-listings (you can of course make your own). If they were actual albums, what would you think of them? What singles would you have released? And are any of them genuinely good enough to stand as albums?

'Fear Of Motion'

1) Locust Valley
2) Little Trolls
3) Just A Kid
4) Masking Tape
5) Pedestal
6) Fear Of Motion
9) Morning Sun
10) Groundhog Days

'Litany'

2) Litany
3) All Alone Here
4) No Jubilees
5) Firefight
6) Everything Will Be
7) Picturesque
8) Askew Road
9) Antarctic
10) The Soulmates
11) Dying Breeds
13) Voodoo Polaroids
14) A Secret Society

1) The Vorticists
2) Heyday Of The Blood
3) Anorexic Rodin
4) Morning Comrades
5) Boxes And Lists
7) The Long Goodbye
9) Little Girl Lost
10) 1404
11) Lady Lazarus
12) Fearless Punk Ballad

'Lost Voices'

1) Red Rubber
2) Broken Up Again
3) Distractions
5) Lost Voices
6) I Know The Numbers
7) The Passing Show
9) Inky Fingers
10) Ostpolitik
Ok, here goes:

Fear Of Motion = The singles would definately be 'Locust Valley' & 'Masking Tape. The rest of the songs are quite slow to mid-tempo with nothing that would really catch my ear on the radio. My choices are because they're fast, quite loud and both have amazing solos. Personally, if your tracklisting was an actual album I probably wouldn't be enamoured to it as it is full of a lot of sub-par tunes such as 'Little Trolls', 'Fear Of Motion' etc.

Litany = I would choose 'Everyone Knows/Nobody Cares' as the lead single because it is the strangest sounding out of the bunch and would definately catch peoples attentions and move opinions away from ' Wow, is that the band that did the ' we only want to get drunk song??'. I would also choose ' A Secret Society' as it sounds like it should have been a single anyway.

Love Letter To The Future/Welcome To The Deadzone = Here, I would definately choose ' Welcome To The Dead Zone' as the lead single, it's epic, catchy, beautifully sung. The second single would definately be ' Love Letter To The Future' - fast-paced rocker, great solo and superb lyrics and JDB hasn't sounded like that in a long time on this type of song. The final single would certainly be ' Boxes & Lists'.

' Lost Voices' = I'd choose 4 singles here which would be 'Broken Up Again' as the lead single - I think it would be more successful than Empty Souls which sounded similar but BUA is superior. The 2nd single would be 'Distractions' purely for the cheery nature of the song (perfect radio song) and the sublime solo. The 3rd would be 'Evidence Against Myself' purely as, like 'Distractions', it sounds made for radio. The final single to end the campaign would be 'Red Rubber', a strange but lovely sound to it.
Old 28-02-2011, 17:43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post

'Fear Of Motion'

1) Locust Valley
2) Little Trolls
3) Just A Kid
4) Masking Tape
5) Pedestal
6) Fear Of Motion
9) Morning Sun
10) Groundhog Days

'Litany'

2) Litany
3) All Alone Here
4) No Jubilees
5) Firefight
6) Everything Will Be
7) Picturesque
8) Askew Road
9) Antarctic
10) The Soulmates
11) Dying Breeds
13) Voodoo Polaroids
14) A Secret Society

1) The Vorticists
2) Heyday Of The Blood
3) Anorexic Rodin
4) Morning Comrades
5) Boxes And Lists
7) The Long Goodbye
9) Little Girl Lost
10) 1404
11) Lady Lazarus
12) Fearless Punk Ballad

'Lost Voices'

1) Red Rubber
2) Broken Up Again
3) Distractions
5) Lost Voices
6) I Know The Numbers
7) The Passing Show
9) Inky Fingers
10) Ostpolitik
TBH, as albums none of those would flow particuarly well but there are some gems in the list.
Old 24-04-2013, 18:46
I live to fall asleep

Just coming back to this old threat because I'm sat listening to the 'Send Away The Tigers' b-sides at the moment, and I'm surprised as how much it does sound like a proper album (the track-ordering is slightly different to the one I chose above). Some of the tracks I'd written off as slightly too soft (due to the production) actually have a little more grit than I'd remembered - 'Boxes & Lists' for example. The one song I'd probably leave off is 'Love Letter To The Future' though - too cheesy. But aside from that it actually makes a decent record.
Old 25-04-2013, 01:35
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
So of your version of b-sides albums, I'd say in "Fear of Motion" the song Masking Tape sounds good for a single, Manics like to set the livelier stuff as their singles lately. I might be wrong, but I've got such a feeling. Maybe "Locust Valley" too, for a gloomier kind of single.

And in the second "Litany" album, "Firefight" is definitively the candidate. It sounds like a typical Manics' hit. Maybe "No Jubilees" too might sound as a single.
Old 28-04-2013, 12:38
I live to fall asleep

Looking back then, I'd say the best of the below is 'Welcome To The Dead Zone' which gives 'Send Away The Tigers' a decent run for its money. The obvious single is the title track which (dodgy opening couplet aside) is a beautifully melancholic track. 'Heyday Of The Blood' to represent the harder side of the album. 'Morning Comrades' is utterly beautiful but wouldn't work as a single.

Next up is probably 'Litany'. 'Everyone Knows/Nobody Cares' is musically the obvious single, but the title is a bit of an open goal...I personally don't rate 'Firefight' as much as most, but in terms of commercial appeal, it's the track I can most obviously imagine hearing on the radio. 'A Secret Society' would have made a good single but wouldn't represent the album as a whole.

Then it's 'Lost Voices'. For me, the singles are very obvious on this one - 'Evidence Against Myself' is very radio-friendly and would make a great summer single, while 'Distractions' has a good pace about it and some simple (and memorable) riffs and a good solo.

The album that works least well is 'Fear Of Motion', mostly because they used so many tracks on 'KYE' - two or three of the album tracks would have boosted it a lot. As it stands, 'Masking Tape' is the most commercial option, 'Fear Of Motion' is short, sweet and has a good solo, but the best track is 'Midnight Sun', which could work as an album's final single when it's less about catching people's immediate attention and more about showing the depth of the album.