Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-01-2014, 23:40
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post

I just think the quality of music critics is piss poor now.
Funny story, I was going to make a thread based on that quote about "Are there any good music critics about now?" but I couldn't think of any! There's a few blogs, I suppose. But even then, the last thing I want to read in a blog is music criticism! Should I admit defeat and subscribe to "Mojo" from now on?
Old 11-01-2014, 00:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

Ha! I found this:

http://www.collapseboard.com/music-b...iticism-sucks/

Lots of imput by Everett True.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:55
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
I don't know about that, in terms of what's accurate. But re: his writing style I think you either like it or you don't - it used to be quite common for music journos to inject their own style/themself into their writing (see Swells, Morley et al).

He has talked recently about updating it, as he's short of work ATM - I don't know how seriously.
He Tweeted a couple of weeks ago about now that he has time on his hands he should make a start on the updated version.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:21
A self-made vacuum

I bought it for £6.50 or something on amazon in 2009/2010. It's a really old battered copy though. I've still not actually read it!

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 11-01-2014, 12:03
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
He Tweeted a couple of weeks ago about now that he has time on his hands he should make a start on the updated version.
Perhaps someone should float the idea past David Cameron as an idea for all those unemployed young people....although there is only so many biographies of Justin Bieber that one can find the time for....
Old 11-01-2014, 15:12
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
I liked his Nirvana book in parts, but it was far too long. Live Through This: American Rock Music in the Nineties is one of my favourite music books though, I think he did a really good job profiling some of the less well known bands from that time. Pearl Jam also get a bit of a kicking which is always nice to see.

And to be honest, considering the amount of horrible and openly misogynistic crap that Courtney gets thrown at her from so many, I think it's good she's got someone in her corner, although he's far from uncritical of her in Live Through This.
You should check ou this band could be your life - great book which is almost like the prequel to the one you mentioned
Old 11-01-2014, 15:31
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
You should check ou this band could be your life - great book which is almost like the prequel to the one you mentioned
I've read it, it's good isn't it, that book really turned me onto Butthole Surfers. I picked it up mainly for the chapters on Beat Happening and Dinosaur Jr.
Old 11-01-2014, 15:46
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
I've read it, it's good isn't it, that book really turned me onto Butthole Surfers. I picked it up mainly for the chapters on Beat Happening and Dinosaur Jr.
dino jr is a big thumbs up.

husker du and replacements as well, two of my fave listens
Old 11-01-2014, 16:04
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
Yep. He said he'd either release it again with the end added, or release a follow up called Everything Else, which to be fair is a bloody good title.

I also have a spare that someone can have if they want it. Give us a PM or something.
Old 11-01-2014, 17:41
I am purity, they call me perverted

Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds is a brilliant book about all the post punk bands, totally exhaustive and intelligent without being too dry.

I read NME regularly, but all the journos do blur into one. There don't seem to be many writers with distinctive styles.
Old 11-01-2014, 19:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-groovey-morning-fine View Post
Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds is a brilliant book about all the post punk bands, totally exhaustive and intelligent without being too dry.

I read NME regularly, but all the journos do blur into one. There don't seem to be many writers with distinctive styles.
I'd agree with all the above. Without digressing onto the regularly-raised topic of the NME too much, at least they've got rid of most of the snarky, patronising, wannabe-Gonzo writers. And sorted out the gender balance. You could argue that having many interchangeable, decent-but-never-great writers reflects the current music scene as a whole.

Back on topic, seeing as this has become a debate on the book's merits, I rate it as the best Manics biog and have never seen it as overly referencing its author. It's worth remembering that unlike many authors he was often actually there, and from very early on: down the front in 1991, down the Catacombs with them in '94, backstage at the o2 in 2011. He loves the band and - as a fan - understands the fun, bitchy, occasionally disturbing fan culture. Errors may well abound, but it's still a hundred times better than any of the other cash-in books on the band. Serial band biographer Mick 'Middling' Middles droning on interminably about how much he loves Wales and the Welsh? No thanks.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 11-01-2014, 20:22
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I'd agree with all the above. Without digressing onto the regularly-raised topic of the NME too much, at least they've got rid of most of the snarky, patronising, wannabe-Gonzo writers. And sorted out the gender balance. You could argue that having many interchangeable, decent-but-never-great writers reflects the current music scene as a whole.

Back on topic, seeing as this has become a debate on the book's merits, I rate it as the best Manics biog and have never seen it as overly referencing its author. It's worth remembering that unlike many authors he was often actually there, and from very early on: down the front in 1991, down the Catacombs with them in '94, backstage at the o2 in 2011. He loves the band and - as a fan - understands the fun, bitchy, occasionally disturbing fan culture. Errors may well abound, but it's still a hundred times better than any of the other cash-in books on the band. Serial band biographer Mick 'Middling' Middles droning on interminably about how much he loves Wales and the Welsh? No thanks.
Was he backstage at the O2? I know at some point, either just before it started or during the interval, he was standing in the audience near me and someone took me over to say hello to him.

But I do agree that it's better to have biographies written by people who have been around the band and understand the fan culture etc. I know it's not a biography but Ben Myers isn't actually a manics fan, is he? If not, it does explain some of the failings of the book.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 11-01-2014, 21:28
Knowlede Is Power

I don't really mind the Myers' book, and he is only doing the same thing that all those fiction writers do with medieval royals (ahem, yes Phillipa Gregory, I am talking to YOU)
Old 11-01-2014, 21:41
Winterlover

Still haven't read the Ben Myers book. I wasn't so keen on that extract of it published on the NME website but that might just be a bad example. Is it actually as bad as some have made it out to be?
Old 11-01-2014, 22:04
Knowlede Is Power

The Libertines Bound Togeather by Roger Sargent is one of the best bios iv ever read.