Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-09-2010, 21:03
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
Hiya

I finished reading it last night and and although I enjoyed it because it was about the band (and a lot about Richey) there are some terrible, basic mistakes in the book including song titles and info and it seems obvious to me that it just hadn't been checked or proof read by someone with any real interest in the subject.

He kept referring to anyone in the band by both names throughout the whole book and it really started to annoy me by the 4th or 5th chapter.

If you haven't read a lot of the other books I'd certainly consider getting it but I still personally like the Simon Price book a lot better. It woud be really interesting to see an update of that and see what he would do with the last 15 years.
Thanks for that! I was just wondering if it was worth getting even though I've read the Simon Price book already, which most fans seem to think is the best book there is.
Old 30-09-2010, 21:17
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Thanks for that! I was just wondering if it was worth getting even though I've read the Simon Price book already, which most fans seem to think is the best book there is.
Really wish Simon Price would do an update on his book - so far none seem as comprehensive as his and I doubt he'd make mistakes!
Old 30-09-2010, 21:52
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryknight View Post
Really wish Simon Price would do an update on his book - so far none seem as comprehensive as his and I doubt he'd make mistakes!
Everything has a few mistakes in it already apparently..most obvious..Sean's birthday is listed as 1970 .tsk
Old 30-09-2010, 22:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardsfromayoungman View Post
Just wanted to let you know, if anyone was not aware of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nailed-Histo.../dp/1849381755

Hoping to buy mine on Saturday!
Buy it? Who buys things anymore?....
Old 30-09-2010, 23:40
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Everything has a few mistakes in it already apparently..most obvious..Sean's birthday is listed as 1970 .tsk
I wish someone would say what these mistakes are. I don't remember any glaring errors any of the times I've read it, although it must be about 6 years since I last read it, so perhaps I would notice them now.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 01-10-2010, 15:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
I wish someone would say what these mistakes are. I don't remember any glaring errors any of the times I've read it, although it must be about 6 years since I last read it, so perhaps I would notice them now.
There are a few errors, but nothing really major. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that he accidentally referred to UK Channel Boredom as 'UK Channel Zero' at one point.
Old 01-10-2010, 17:08
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Anyone going to do scans here or in Appreciation of the pics in the book? I still want to buy it but I'd love to see the pictures in there.
Old 27-10-2010, 19:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

Even if there are mistakes in 'Everything' (which I've reread a few times), I doubt they are as glaring and all over the place as in 'Nailed to History'. The author seems to get half the song titles wrong, from 'For The Love of Richard Nixon', to 'I'm A Patsy' and 'Your Love is Not Enough'. The most hilarious one though must be 'The Year of Putrification'. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Please, please, please get a decent proofreader next time! I was torn between hilarity and wanting to chuck the book across the room...

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr
Old 27-10-2010, 19:11
An imitation of dignity

I've not even thought about getting this, i got Sweet Venom a few years ago and everything post TIMTTMY was skimmed over, and everything pre- TIMT is covered well in Everything. In short, Simon should do a revised book!
Old 27-10-2010, 22:12
Freed from the century

Looked through this in HMV,doesn't look particularly enlightening as others have said. I would much rather Simon Price did a new version of Everything! But that said,it did have some lovely new photos in that I wouldn't mind seeing again.
Old 27-10-2010, 23:12

There was an exert from this in the most recent issue of Classic Rock. It would be unfair to judge the whole book by an extract but the piece I read covered the '4real' incident and whilst it was fairly well written it didn't really shed any new light on the subject (but perhaps that's because that incident has had so much publicity there's nothing new to say?) I'll definitely give the rest of the book a chance.
Old 27-10-2010, 23:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-indy-script View Post
I've not even thought about getting this, i got Sweet Venom a few years ago and everything post TIMTTMY was skimmed over, and everything pre- TIMT is covered well in Everything. In short, Simon should do a revised book!
Yeah, he should but the shame is he probably never will
Old 27-10-2010, 23:25
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynRoxie View Post
Anyone going to do scans here or in Appreciation of the pics in the book? I still want to buy it but I'd love to see the pictures in there.
i've seen the pix they are absolutely amazing it's worth buying it only for the pix,probably all pix are new/read- not seen before, i'm gonna buy it asap/read - when i have enough money.
Old 28-10-2010, 07:37
Builder of routine

I have it lying in my bag begging to be read, I have a 2 hour train journey so I'm taking it along, rather excited, there's something thrilling about seeing stuff you already know written down in an actual book. Will post a review (as far as I review things)
Old 28-10-2010, 18:39

It's worth it for the pictures, I'd say, and there were two or three things I hadn't realised before (or probably forgotten since last reading 'Everything') but don't get your hopes up for some exciting writing/revelations. He's basically just quoting newspaper interviews etc. all the way through.

Facebook / Last.fm / Twitter / Tumblr